Palm Wax

Parrafin and palm are different waxes. No you can't hug the palm pillar like you can a parrafin.

You need to find a wick that that either leaves a shell or slowly burns down the sides. You are not going to be able to wick one that burns the same as parrafin. Palm just doesn't behave the same way.

There are several threads on wicking palm with test picks and different wicks used in different palm waxes. If you do a search you should find them.

Top and Stella did a couple of threads on them a while back and theres lots of great info and pics in them.

I used 30 ply like what was recomended for the star wax and it tunneled straight down leaving a shell. I also used 45ply (both flat braid and it still tunneled) I dont get it. Soooo i will try 60 might be over kill but there is one way to find out. I also did not add any palm steric to it. I want to find a wick that gives me results that are somewhat close to what I want then I start adjusting the wax mix. Thats how I ended up being able to make almost perfect paraffin burn candles :)

With starburst palm, I usually use the CSN 14. Like Candybee said, search starburst to get to Top and Stella's post on the subject. Also good stuff if you search feather. Palm pillars will never burn like paraffin, totally different wax.

Cheers,

Steve

search palm wax and you will find several great threads. I don't believe that ply wicking is recommended at all for palm waxes...but you can certainly try. I tried

wicking with thirty ply, sorry...the numbers don't work on this laptop lol...coffee spill...anyway...it didn't burn too good. I think cdn or csn are your best bets on

wicking these waxes. hth

What diameter pillars are you working with? I'm currently trying to find the best wick for 3" diameter feather and crystal palm wax. I ordered CSN 11 raw wicking from CS and it just came in so I haven't used it yet. For 2" diameter pillars made with feather palm, FO, and a dye block, I used CSN 9 primed wick. (This was a wick assembly with the wick tab but I hung it upside down and weighted the wick with a locking washer. The wick tab was cut off the top after the candle set.) The CSN 9 worked great for the 2" and left a thin shell around the outside of the pillar.

I wouldn't use 60 ply flat braid. I have that for beeswax but think it's too big for palm wax pillars unless they're over 4" in diameter. You could try a square braid wicking but check out the CSN's since they were developed for palm wax.

The "down, then out" burn is characteristic of palm wax. Its nature is to tunnel and create a shell. Because it is such a hard wax and has a very small margin between its solid & liquid state, it does not soften the way paraffin or soy waxes do. Like soy, it cannot be "hugged" like one does with paraffin candles. Rather than collapsing inward, it tends to "bloom" outward. For pillars that are wicked to completely consume (ie. not wicked to purposefully leave a shell), the top edges become thinner and thinner as the candle burns down. HTH :)

Im still playing with the wick sizes but 30 ply is very ineffective so Im going overkill to 60.

I will also try cotton core wicks since they burn very hot. The reason I will not but CSN wicks is that they are exclisive to one store and that store does not sell palm wax anymore so they may pull the wicks too.

On a side note

8 oz. roll 1048 ft/roll 36-24 Cotton

what does the 36-24 mean?

Im still playing with the wick sizes but 30 ply is very ineffective so Im going overkill to 60.

I will also try cotton core wicks since they burn very hot. The reason I will not but CSN wicks is that they are exclisive to one store and that store does not sell palm wax anymore so they may pull the wicks too.

On a side note

8 oz. roll 1048 ft/roll 36-24 Cotton

what does the 36-24 mean?

CS says they have no plans to pull the CSN wick line. Why would they, still a very popular wick and they probably do alot of business with them. But if you want to reinvent the wheel, go for it. You might want to try the CDN line of wicks, also. They are made to take the acidic waxes.

Steve

BAH!!! Now I ve done it!!! My wife stated in so many words that she loves the candle when it glows and to stop playin with the formula. She likes seeing the patterns on the shell instead of not really being able to see them as the candle burns down. She told me thats what the paraffin candles were for...sigh,:rolleyes2

Edited by Gbhunter