Choosing FO by the season

Yoshi

This is my first Fall/holiday season making candles. I chose what I thought was fall/holiday scents and they are not doing well. Some of my customers are asking for the scents I had for the summer - floral/fruity type scents. :shocked2: Luckily, I had some FO remaining and was able to fill those orders. I had wanted to change my scents to coincide with the season/holiday but I do not know if that is a good idea.

I was just wondering if any of you choose FO by the season or holidays coming up? For instance in the Fall choose warm, spicy types and in the Spring choose light floral/fruity type scents, etc.

Am I overthinking this? :confused:

TIA

------------

Yoshi

I use some of my FO's year round. It really depends on the customers in your area. In the fall and winter time I stop using some that I find are really more summer type scents and as you progress in the craft you will find out what sells during the particular times of the year. You may sell the pants off of a scent in the summer and not a single one in the fall/winter. I replace some of the not so hot sellers for the fall/winter with fall and winter scents and then when the season changes some of the replaced scents are brought back to life. In time you will get an idea of what sells the longer you sell, but, then sometimes that goes out the window. Myself I don't care what time of year it is sometimes I just wanna smell Pumpkin Spice even in the summer. Which is fine as I'm just using them for myself but for the majority of the customers I have come across they typically want certain scents during certain seasons, but, there's always a few out there that want the summer in the winter. Depending on the scent some can be renamed to fit other seasons. There's some great renamers on the board if you go that route. For example most people don't want x-mas tree anytime other than x-mas time but rename it a pine name and they love it. Candy Cane is another you typically associate that with x-mas but rename it some variation of peppermint and you have a seller outside of the x-mas season. It will just depend on the scent. However buying tons of different scents for each seaon will get costly so you may want to find some that can be used year round and then just replace some of those with the seasonal scents and when the season changes again some of the replaced scents can be resurrected. What are the scents that are not selling? Renaming them could help. HTH

You've just discovered why its a good idea to carry a good mix of scents for the season; florals, fruits, spice, bakery, clean, etc.

I do carry a line for Spring/Summer and another for Fall/Holiday.

For the fall good sellers are blends with pumpkin, cranberry, apple, etc. and holiday scents could be blends of pine/fir/spruce, cinnamon & spice, gingerbread and so on.

It helps if you check out the best seller lists on the suppliers website. Most have a section of what is selling the most at that time.

Also read this fragrance forum. It has a lot of ideas about seasonal selling scents and custom blends.