Propay's MicroSecure Card Reader

Yoshi

I currently have a propay account and I was thinking about getting the MicroSecure Card Reader. Does anyone have any experience with using this device? If so, what are the pros and cons.

TIA

-------------

Yoshi

Edited by Yoshi

craftyone,

I use propay and have been thinking about trying the Microsecure Card Reader. Do you just run their cards through it at shows and then enter the data to propay when you get home? That part is confusing me.

Thanks for any info you can help me with.

I don't use the card reader, but have been researching it. From what I researched on it, you can do it 2 ways. You can have it connected to a computer with internet access (make sure it is secure internet access) at shows and swipe and run the card there or you can just swipe all the cards and then attach it to your computer when you get home to process the cards. However, if you choose to process the cards later, you will have to write down some information (like the last 4 and amount) so you can go back and write in how much to charge the card.

I've been thinking about getting one too, but for the amount that it is and the amount of cards I process right now... it isn't worth it. I maybe do 1 or 2 transactions a month. If I start doing that a show, then I will think about it more. :)

"You can have it connected to a computer with internet access (make sure it is secure internet access) at shows and swipe and run the card there or you can just swipe all the cards and then attach it to your computer when you get home to process the cards. However, if you choose to process the cards later, you will have to write down some information (like the last 4 and amount) so you can go back and write in how much to charge the card."

That explains it perfectly! I wait until I get home from a show and attach it to my computer. I use a simple sales receipt book that has a carbon copy, and just write down their name, last 4 digits of the card #, and $ amount. I like to give them a copy of the receipt (stamped with my business name). When you do process it you will only see their name and the last 4 digits of the card #. When you have a bunch to process it is much quicker than having to enter the entire number in.

You swipe the credit card at the show, then you plug the card swiper into your computer when you get home, it downloads all the cards, and you manually enter in the $ amount for each card.

It's really easy to use, and my customers are in awe of how small it is.

I would HIGHLY recommend this to anyone.

Plus an advantage is that you only record the last 4 digits of the credit card-so people feel safer!

So you actually get an authorization number (ie, know the customer's card is good and total clears) before you give the customer the product? And before you get home to enter the info into computer? When I read about it, it seemed that it just stored the cc info....but did not get authorization until it was attached to your computer....:confused:

You do NOT get an authorization number until you download it into your computer. Downfall definately. I've yet to be burned, but dread the day it happens.

One solution would be to bring a laptop to the craftshow if there is wireless available-because then you could find out right away if the card is good or not.

I have the credit card slips that you use on the knucklebusters and just record (1) name on credit card, (2) expiration date of card (3) last 4-digits of card, and a phone number to reach them at just in case something happens, (4) sale amount & then have them sign the slip.

I'm not going to say anything negative about this card reader, but if you want small, and you have a smartphone (iPhone, Android phone), I would recommend the SquareUp card reader. It is small, free, no monthly charge, and I'm not sure about what percentage you pay for your Propay account, I used to have one, and I remember it being a similar %, but the Square reader charges you 2.75% for cards that are present, 3.5% for transactions where you don't swipe the card plus 15 cents per transaction either way. Most importantly It gives you an immediate response as to whether the transaction has been approved or not, and can even send an email receipt (with a picture of the item and where it was purchased) to the buyer, assuming they have an email account. I would not go back to my previous merchant account, since using this.

Just my 2 cents.

Javaeboy.

I'm not going to say anything negative about this card reader, but if you want small, and you have a smartphone (iPhone, Android phone), I would recommend the SquareUp card reader. It is small, free, no monthly charge, and I'm not sure about what percentage you pay for your Propay account, I used to have one, and I remember it being a similar %, but the Square reader charges you 2.75% for cards that are present, 3.5% for transactions where you don't swipe the card plus 15 cents per transaction either way. Most importantly It gives you an immediate response as to whether the transaction has been approved or not, and can even send an email receipt (with a picture of the item and where it was purchased) to the buyer, assuming they have an email account. I would not go back to my previous merchant account, since using this.

Just my 2 cents.

Javaeboy.

I have been told about SquareUp before....with raving reviews. But I don't have one of those phones.

Honestly, I like to know that the card clears BEFORE I give the customers their merchandise. I am sticking with my knucklebuster and cell phone. If the customer wants the product, he/she can wait 5 minutes!

I'm assuming a Blackberry would work also or am I wrong?

Well, right now, I don't think it will work, but if you drop SquareUp a message, they will probably have a better answer for when/if it will work on a Blackberry. I don't see why it would be a problem fro them to write an app to do it, but I have never written code for a Blackberry before, so I'm not sure how much harder it would be than it was for the iPhone and Android devices.

Good Luck.