The Scentsy Virus

jaxxcandles

So I decided to sell at a small craft show today. It said all crafters welcome so I assumed Homemade crafts! Not all "vendors." Anyway, I was bringing my stuff in when I saw a lady walking towards me with a shirt that caught my eye. It said Scentsy Girl. I was like, NOOOO!. I have been making and testing melts like crazy and was not too thrilled to see them there. They are everywhere!

I don't know about your area but in OKC, Scentsy is literally everywhere. In my experience, most people at craft shows are looking for original items instead of something they can get from a co-worker, family or neighbor. There are alot of people that will buy because they prefer locally made products.

"Real" craft shows are harder to find. Look for Juried shows which means everything is hand made. They will usually ask you for info like pictures and/or your website. Juried craft shows are more picky but they will not allow Scentsy, Tupperware, Mia Bella, or things like that in their show.

Its true. It can be a juried show and you may still see affiliates like Scentsy or Pampered Chef, etc. at the show. Problems like trying to fill up the show with enough crafters can make promoters desperate to let them in.

If you want to be in a show that doesn't allow them talk with the promoters before you sign up. Ask questions and be specific. If you get vague responses to your questions I think thats your answer.

I do both juried and non-juried shows and frankly don't worry about them. I know my products are premium quality and all handmade and can talk about and promote them with ease since I'm my best customer. Customers see this and buy from me. Then they come back the next year as repeat customers.

Just did a show with Scentsy and PartiLite in the same room with me. I was the one busy selling candles and I did well there. I'm going back next year so I can get new customers along with the repeat ones. I really don't give a hoot if Scentsy and Partilite come back. I know I will do well.:smiley2:

The last show I did I happened to get a good spot in the front. Almost everyone that came to my table said look she has scentsy, I quickly corrected them and told them I made my own product and mine is cheaper than theirs. I outsold the scentsy rep that was 3 booths down.......she ended up leaving at noon.:yay: I made sure to give everyone a card even the ones that said they just bought some scentsy. That show was a couple of weeks ago and I have had some orders for melts from that show.

If you are going to be in this business, you have to expect competition whether it be the Scentsys of the world, or a friend or stranger that decides they want to do what you do. Competition can be good if you know what you are doing. Competition should keep you on your game and push you to do better.

Yes they are everywhere... like cockroaches. Every single show I have done this year they have been at every single one even the juried shows that made us send pics of us actually making the products. Go figure right?? Partylite, Gold Canyon and whatever Home Interior is calling itself these days along with the scentsy... seen them all. I have not seen the same scentsy rep at any of the shows they've all been different reps so they must be multiplying. It is sad that they or anyone that is reselling products at craft shows are allowed but unfortunately the promoters seem to be more concerned with making money on the booth rent than offering the shoppers with true handmade crafts not to mention affordable prices. It does annoy me but I typically outsell them anyway so it doesn't really affect me in the pocket, but, the looks they shoot at you when you are selling the pants off them are to die for. I usually get the evil stares when set up begins and I just find that humorous b/c really I am the one who should be here b/c I made my products. I didn't just get them from the UPS man and put them in my car. Eventually one day people will realize that it's nothing but a bunch of overpriced hype.... right??? :laugh2:

Don't let them intimidate you. I just did a show this weekend where there was 5 other candle vendors, scentsy and gold canyon included. Be different. Have confidence in your products and don't stoop to putting down the other vendors.

We did pretty good and received a lot of compliments along with our sales. Competition keeps you on your toes and forces you to think outside the box sometimes.

Wow! I love everyone's confidence. I am just getting back into the craft show game and so it caught me a little off guard. I also needed to work on my own way of selling and how to show that my products are better and a way for them to appear unique. I appreciate the advice and ideas and I will definitely be ready for the challenge next time around. :-)

Actually, a juried show means they judge your products. Like a jury? Most of those type shows are handmade because they do judge the products. You don't have to compete in the competition usually. And I find them to be better shows. I see that they are adding other type booths now to fill spaces. Scentsy is driving me nuts. They have a great product. High priced, but good stuff. I have heard so many people tell us they can't afford candles anymore, and then go spend 100. on Scentsy products. I thought for awhile, I might just sell Scentsy too. But after talking to many reps. They don't make much at all. Scentsy makes the money. It is like Avon. You work your tail off for nothing. So now I am going to make the clamshells for their pots like everyone else is doing. They have really hurt our business. I tried to sell nice pots and clamshells for years, but it never caught on. At least now, they have done all the work explaining them to the customers. I can sell them now. The customers think this is a new idea, dah!!!!!!!:rolleyes2

Debra

We don't have scentsy here in Australia thank goodness, however your comment about customersthinking this is a new idea is so truee

We get it here with both tarts and clams. People continuously pick them up and ask where the wick is. I think I have explained that one 100's of time now, but hopefully people are beginning to become more educated about it all.

That's a good idea. But I run into this. Well, these are cheaper, so they must not be as good. Put a higher price tag on them and then put them on sale, you hear these must be better ones and they are on sale. Let's get these. I know this goes on, but I go to Dillards and look for those sales. It works. That is what I will probably do. I am looking for a different look for my tarts. I don't want to do clamshells. I want them to stand out. I think I found it, but still checking. :yay:

Well, these are cheaper, so they must not be as good.

Oh my how we love this statement =) At least for us, we shop locally for just about every supply we use so we save on having to ship of course and we pass that savings onto you, our customers =) Then if you go into why Scentsy, PL and other large companies are higher in price (more marketing, more marketing, and oh don't forget even more marketing, not to mention the probably six figure income the big wigs make) By that point our customers are loaded up with our tarts =)

Just a thought: Assuming that only one scensy booth is allowed at each show, why not become a sensy rep, let the name draw the crowd and then say ''well now, if you want something thats REAL value, here's something I prepared earlier'' and reach under the counter and pull out one of your candles {with your website clearly marked on the label}.

Whats the worst that can happen? {unless of course, you signed a contract that states you can ONLY sell sensy products}.

I'm doing a show this weekend and people have said, "Oh, you sell the Scentsy melts", which I correct and tell them I pour mine and they are strong and I have different scents. I've almost sold out already and here's the funny part--the guy selling Scentsy about 4 booths down from mine came to my booth and wanted to buy my leather melts because Scentsy discontinued them.

BTW, there arer 2 Scentsy booths at this show I'm doing and one of the booths is telling purchasers they can only use Scentsy melts in the Scentsy melters. I have quickly corrected people that have told me that when they come to my booth and told them that any melts should be OK in their Scentsy melters.

BTW, there arer 2 Scentsy booths at this show I'm doing and one of the booths is telling purchasers they can only use Scentsy melts in the Scentsy melters. I have quickly corrected people that have told me that when they come to my booth and told them that any melts should be OK in their Scentsy melters.

I have heard them say the same thing... too funny. It's even funnier the people that will believe them. I mean come on people it's an electric warmer not a cure for cancer. Any melting source is gonna melt those things, whether it's electric, you use a tealigt for the heat or hell put them in the sun and they will melt.... deceptive marketing...sad!!

I am just waiting to hear one of them say that again b/c I will go buy one and put it in my warmers just to show the customers that they are trying to pull the wool over their customers eyes. Wonder what their response would be when I disprove their ridiculous statement. I'll be sure to have a camera ready to post the dumbfounded look for sure!!:P

Just a thought: Assuming that only one scensy booth is allowed at each show, why not become a sensy rep, let the name draw the crowd and then say ''well now, if you want something thats REAL value, here's something I prepared earlier'' and reach under the counter and pull out one of your candles {with your website clearly marked on the label}.

Whats the worst that can happen? {unless of course, you signed a contract that states you can ONLY sell sensy products}.

I'm sure they have a contract stating that you can ONLY sell their products. They may even have you sign the contract in blood and give them your first born...just kidding!!:laugh2:

I'm sure they have a contract stating that you can ONLY sell their products. They may even have you sign the contract in blood and give them your first born...just kidding!!:laugh2:

I looked in to selling while I was going through a slump a while back. What was I thinking? But anyway, they wouldn't even talk to me. She said that I would have to discontinue my affiliation with Briar Creek Candle Co. I said, I can't, because I own the company. Glad I am back to making my own stuff again.