Quick Temp Question...

Do I pour hotter when its colder? We leave the temp at about 66 overnight. What should I do when cooling my candles overnight in cold temps? My BF almost died when he came home to the heat cranked up to 75 yesterday. After I was done making candles I had to sit in front of the fan. Does the room need to be that hot or is there a way to compensate? This is my first cold season. I live in NJ.

Do I pour hotter when its colder? We leave the temp at about 66 overnight. What should I do when cooling my candles overnight in cold temps? My BF almost died when he came home to the heat cranked up to 75 yesterday. After I was done making candles I had to sit in front of the fan. Does the room need to be that hot or is there a way to compensate? This is my first cold season. I live in NJ.

Many talented voices will chime in on this, but first you have to give the background; type of wax, temp poured at, FO load and temp added, etc. All this will help. Relax, it just sounds like you are getting adjusted to the temp discrepancies in every home. My house is over 50 yrs old, and the drafts and flows took a while to adjust my candles to. It will all come to you. We all test consistently and retest to perfect. It's a lot of fun and a lot of $$$ but a hell of a ride! Welcome aboard.

During the winter months when making candles I just use a space heater to heat the room up. Also, my meltor does a pretty good job of heating the room too. I keep the house at around 66-68 degrees to save money on my electric bill. So using a space heater for just my candlemaking room allows me to heat up just my candlemaking room without the added expense of heating the entire house up.

I use GG (glass glow) palm wax which means I pour it hot at 195-200 degrees and the room needs to be at least 69-72 degrees just to pour my candles so the jars will be room temp and cool slowly. Thank goodness for space heaters!

Edited by Candybee

First, are you experiencing any problems pouring your candles in cooler ambient air temps? If the candles are coming out all right, don't change a thing (ie. if it ain't broke, don't fix it)! :)

While the winters here don't get nearly as cold as the rest of the country experiences, I live in a drafty old house, so my candle room is pretty brisk during the winter. In the winter, I prewarm the containers (only warm, never too hot to handle!) and cool the candles slowly on a rack under a large box. I leave the candles under the box until they have cooled completely, usually at least overnight. HTH :)

First, are you experiencing any problems pouring your candles in cooler ambient air temps? If the candles are coming out all right, don't change a thing (ie. if it ain't broke, don't fix it)! :)

While the winters here don't get nearly as cold as the rest of the country experiences, I live in a drafty old house, so my candle room is pretty brisk during the winter. In the winter, I prewarm the containers (only warm, never too hot to handle!) and cool the candles slowly on a rack under a large box. I leave the candles under the box until they have cooled completely, usually at least overnight. HTH :)

Yeah I get air bubbles that show up only after the candle has been lit. Sometimes even after burning for a while. And to answer one of your responses from another of my posts. Believe me all I have been doing is TEST TEST TESTing! My DB (I guess thats Dear Boyfriend) anyway he swears I just like testing because I am a science lab geek. But, yeah I know and I am actually working on a system. I wish someone would post a thread for spreadsheets or point me to some. I have been working on them all day. I DID do a search and usually if I am asking I already searched and didnt find what I was looking for. Thanks. PEACE

Yeah I get air bubbles that show up only after the candle has been lit.
So are these bubbles small, objectionable or affecting the burn in some negative way? Do they look like spit by the wick?

If you search the forum for spreadsheets, you will find many for many different purposes. Just sift through the results for the testing ones. Or you can make your own. :)

Edited by Stella1952