Mottle Question?

You could buff your candle tops I suppose, but why are you wanting shiny tops in a jar?

You might try a little bit of the additive. It shouldn't totally kill your mottle.

I was looking for a shiny LMP Parrafin.....I read another post that Cetyl Alcohol makes a parrafin shiny....I looked it up and it doesnt say anything about it as a candle additive or how much one would use.

Theoretically you should be able to add the cetyl, since it is an oil. Maybe try a batch with like a 1/8th of a tsp. It might be too much and it might not be enough. I have never tried CA in wax.

It's not typically made of sperm whale oil any more, but from like palm and coconut or a combo of veggie oils

Theoretically you should be able to add the cetyl, since it is an oil. Maybe try a batch with like a 1/8th of a tsp. It might be too much and it might not be enough. I have never tried CA in wax.

It's not typically made of sperm whale oil any more, but from like palm and coconut or a combo of veggie oils

Thanks...gonna try it!

I'd be interested to see what you find out from using it.

Ok....I am still trying to find info on it but I read that the alcohol in it needs to be attached to fatty acid....like stearic to stop it from catching fire...supposedly the alcohol will burn up before the fragrance oil and the fragrance will have a stronger throw.......LOL I think I am in over my head and I don't want to burn my house down.......ANYONE use this in their candles before?

I tried to find what you were looking at, but didn't. Look up the chemical make up of cetyl alcohol ... see what you think. I don't think you're going to create a bomb, but at the same time, who knows. My search options didn't exactly bring me to where you are ... so with that said why don't you try like a lustre crystal and see if that gets you shiny tops? I don't know how much that is going to harden your wax, but it only needs a little bit to be shinier.

Be careful about any alcohol. A while back I experimented with some diffuser oil from Pier One. I'm pretty sure it had alcohol in it. I did a power burn and I noticed after the pool was wall to wall in the container and about a half inch deep (the wick was too large), it started to flash blue on the surface. Next thing was a "pop" and the glass broke.

The break was absolutely horizontal like a glass cutter half way down the container. It was a temperature differential between the blue flash and the unmelted wax below. Top melted wax ran over and extinguished. It could easily have not extinguished I think.

General Wax in California has some oddball additives. They sell a mineral oil to create mottling. I've seen some luster crystals on Ebay and bought them but don't think they work very well.

If you really need glossy, I like the idea of polishing or adding a very light glossy top.

:cheesy2:

Be careful about any alcohol. A while back I experimented with some diffuser oil from Pier One. I'm pretty sure it had alcohol in it. I did a power burn and I noticed after the pool was wall to wall in the container and about a half inch deep (the wick was too large), it started to flash blue on the surface. Next thing was a "pop" and the glass broke.

The break was absolutely horizontal like a glass cutter half way down the container. It was a temperature differential between the blue flash and the unmelted wax below. Top melted wax ran over and extinguished. It could easily have not extinguished I think.

General Wax in California has some oddball additives. They sell a mineral oil to create mottling. I've seen some luster crystals on Ebay and bought them but don't think they work very well.

If you really need glossy, I like the idea of polishing or adding a very light glossy top.

Thanks...I really appreciate the info! I think its safer not to have any alcohol ...forget the glossy candle lets go for safety...lol