Any pointers for my first show?

aesnyder

So I am setting up a booth at a local Christmas Event Dec. 3 and 4th. I am just going to offer tarts and maybe some tart gift baskets. We live in a small town but this Christmas Event is usually quite large, but this year they are only having less than 20 vendors, which I will be one of them. But during this event, there will be a huge Christmas parade, which I think the whole town goes too! :) Since I have never done anything like this before, how much would you suggest that I take? I was thinking about 400-500 tarts and about 10 or 20 gift baskets. Is that overshooting for two days or undershooting? I just don't want to make way too much product, which hopefully if I do I can sell it later. But I also don't want to lose out on any money. Any suggestions for the whole booth thing? I am going to have a tart burner going so when they walk in, they can smell my products and hopefully that will draw them to buying some! Any information would greatly be appreciated!

Definately bring as much as you can pack. Always better to have too much than to run out and miss making a few bucks. Also, this is a no-brainer, but sometimes overlooked in the rush...bring plenty of small bills and coins to make change! Also, never hurts to inquire of the customer if they want to pay with smaller bills at checkout. Some people seem to go for larger bills in their wallet when the have a boatload of ones and fives. Running out of change can be a bummer when you are busy.

HTH

Steve

Good luck!!! Hope your first show is a success!! Yes make sure you take plenty of change as Steve pointed out alot of people want to give big bills either to make change for other purchases or they just want to hold on to the smaller bills for whatever reason. I once had someone give me a 50. for like a 5.00 purchase. Good thing the show I was at has an office to make change for vendors as this was my first purchase of the day and I had a long day ahead of me. And as the others already mentioned take as much as you can, if you have warmers definately take those and decorate your space. It does make it more festive, inviting and stands out to the customers.

Something I found out this past weekend, make sure you have bags or boxes for your products. It depends on the venue or the show, but sometimes people don't come prepared to buy things so plastic or paper bags with handles is a necessity.

Definitely take change. 5's, 10's, dollar bills and lots of quarters. Maybe take along a calculator, pen, scissors, tape, sharpie, stapler ..etc. Expect the unexpected.

If you have an outside display, wear your clothes in layers. Morning hours are normally cooler than in the afternoon.

Don't get discouraged, display your product with your customer in mind and above all .... have fun! :)

Good Luck!!