Pine tar soap

bayougirl

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to do a batch of pine tar soap. I have a recipe I like and have read that you can just add the pine tar to any basic recipe. Soapcalc says it has no FA value, so it shouldn't make a difference to the lye/water calculations. So, should I do my calculation for a 50 oz (oils) batch and just add 20% pine tar to it and use my regular mold (I usually do 60 oz of oils)? Or should I calculate it into Soapcalc as a 60 oz batch with the pine tar included? Does that make sense? Thanks so much.

• 1 month later...
Hi all,

I'm getting ready to do a batch of pine tar soap. I have a recipe I like and have read that you can just add the pine tar to any basic recipe. Soapcalc says it has no FA value, so it shouldn't make a difference to the lye/water calculations. So, should I do my calculation for a 50 oz (oils) batch and just add 20% pine tar to it and use my regular mold (I usually do 60 oz of oils)? Or should I calculate it into Soapcalc as a 60 oz batch with the pine tar included? Does that make sense? Thanks so much.

Hi bayougirl,

I have the same question. Getting ready to make my first batch of Pine Tar soap (I also use a 60 oz. oil recipe for my mold) and not sure if I just add 20 % Pine Tar to my oils before adding the lye water. Read some old post on this but still unsure. I only do Goat Milk Soap (CP) and want to try it with that but may just do water for the first batch to see how it goes.

Which way worked for you?

Anyone made Pine Tar Goat Milk Soap? I use 20% lard in my recipe and it behaves well with Goat Milk but I know the Pine Tar will cause it to trace really fast.

Debbie

I did the same as Kitn, I warmed it with my oils and added my lye/water to it, oils were 109 degrees and lye/water was 88 degrees. It didn't take long for it to trace, but I didn't have any trouble with it. It turned out really well, I added Rainforest E/O blend from WSP to it and it smells nice.

I did figure my pine tar into my oil %. I only did 11% Pine tar, with OO, PO, PKO Flakes and Cocoa Butter. Good luck.

bayougirl, thank you!! I am going to make it tomorrow and see if it turns out.

Kitn, I will try it at 50%, I normally put mine in the fridge (I don't gel) so I think I will do the same with the Pine Tar soap.

sherry, I get my Pine Tar (the one with the yellow horse shoe) at the feed store where I get my horses grain.

Thanks everyone!! :yay: