Candle Flex Molds & FO

To some degree all molds can be affected, particularly rubber and silicone ones, if not cared for properly or instructions not followed, can take on a little dye. Rubber and silicone molds I have that have had fragranced wax are fine and have not deteriorated. I'm not going to say it's not possible though.

I use my Mann Lake molds (pillar & taper) for mostly beeswax, sometimes they are dyed and scented. The pillar molds I use for my parasoy pillars and they are always scented and dyed. I've had most of my molds 5+ years and I've seen no problems with them yet. Just make sure you get a good silicone mold release and some powdered mold release in your wax won't hurt either, as wax can and will sometimes stick. I have 4 tapers molds with beeswax stuck in them, as I forgot to spray them! :angry2: I had no business pouring anything as sick as I was last week......oh well!!

Can you stick them in the freezer to release them? I just had a horrible time with two palm tapers (only poured two) in my tin taper mold. I couldn't get them out no matter how many times I chilled or warmed the molds. I finally gave up yesterday and melted them out...made me want to cry! They would have been very cool looking with the feather palm, brown dye, and cinnamon stick fo from CS.

I got rid of my metal taper molds a LONG time ago because they were a pain in the ass to release, plus I hated the seam it left. I found the only thing that helped the release was powdered mold release in my wax and spraying the heck out of them with silicone spray. I do this with my Mann Lake molds also and if I don't remember both mold releases, I get stuck tapers occasionally. Yep melting them down in a warm oven was my only recourse. You can stick them in the freezer, but that doesn't always work, especially if the wax is stuck to the sides of the molds. The wax can contract, will only crack and still leaves the sides stuck firmly to the mold.

I only tried a couple sets of palm pillars quite awhile ago, but didn't like the burn. I couldn't find a wick that gave me a no drip burn, so I just stick with beeswax for my tapers. I know using some mineral oil if you aren't scenting them will sometimes help with the release, but again, it doesn't always work. I don't know if mineral oil will deter from the palm crystalizing, but it may be worth a try.

http://www.candlewic.com/store/Product.aspx?q=c51,p255&title=10%22-Standard-Taper-Mold

Do you think these are the same as the ones you buy from Mann Lake? ML doesn't have the ten inch tapers but CW does. They don't list them by the brand name (Candle Flex) but they're supposed to be polyurethane rubber.

Also, what length is most popular? Personally, I like the tens and think that twelve inch tapers are too tall for me. I also like the standard (since it looks more like hand dipped) rather than the colonial or hex. I have a lot of beeswax so I'll probably make them mostly from beeswax. I did buy ReleaseGen spray from BetterBee when I got the wicking needle.

When I poured the palm tapers, I used a lot of spray in the metal molds. It just didn't work. You can't tug or push the wick to the side to help pop/release them. That only accomplished crumbling the palm wax. I tried pushing down but they didn't budge. Really wasn't a good experience. I had a couple of trouble makers when I poured the beeswax tapers but two out of eight wasn't bad. They all came out eventually. My mold is vintage and I've just started using it so I expected some difficulty in getting it re-seasoned. Someone had used it with green colored wax previously (probably paraffin) and it took a bit to get all that out. The candles do have seams. I will still use it for some candles but I definitely want to use the flex molds for the best quality beeswax I have. Maybe I'll try again with palm wax after I get them.

Edited by evergreen

I don't suggest buying the Candlewic molds, they are rubber, not silicone and another pain in the ass to get out, even with mold release. I used them for a few years before I found Mann lake. I got 4 new taper molds once and because I didn't use them right away, when I did the tapers were horribly warped and CW wouldn't replace them. :angry2:

I'm not sure who else sells the powdered mold release, but I get mine at the Candlemaker's Store since Genwax stopped carrying it. It really is worth the money cause you don't need a lot (I use 1/2 tsp./lb of wax). http://www.thecandlemakersstore.com/category/molds.mold_release_powder/

Mann Lake has 3 different 10" taper molds, colonial, octagon and the regular: http://www.mannlakeltd.com/ListProduct.asp?idCategory=19

I personally sell more of the 8", but have 10" & 12" molds for special requests. I sell bayberry wax/beeswax tapers for Christmas Eve and they sell out in the 8", not so much in the other 2 sizes.

Wow, ML must have just gotten the tens back in stock because I've been checking that list of molds over the last several days and it wasn't there --even this morning. Thanks!

I'm going to be making bayberry FO scent beeswax tapers...I bought some beeswax that is olive/bronze in color.

I just looked at the price of the tens and had a change of heart, though. Considering I couldn't see the price of the tens before, I'm probably going to start with a pair of the eights since they're $8 less each than the tens. If you sell more of the eights, maybe that would be the best choice taking saleability into account too. I definitely think that twelves are too formal and probably won't buy those until necessary.

Thanks again for your help. I will look into that mold release powder. I have stearic and "palm mold release additive" for just palm wax.

Edited by evergreen