Hello all, and a quick question

Hey all my name is Melissa and I'm in New Jersey. Oddly enough I happened upon candle making and B&B through a book where the main character was into perfume making and I just started poking around the net. This all sounds so interesting to me that I can't help but want to try it.

My cousin recently became a "S" rep and is having a party at my aunts house, and I sat there thinking well I could always buy a warmer (cause I fell in love with one of theres) and I could work on making my own melts in scents I want that I don't see them offering. It might not cut down on my costs but it should be fun. I was talking to my mother about this and she said well of course she said could you send me some too? lol. I have no issues making them for myself to enjoy or even to ship some to my mom for her to enjoy and give me opinions on them and I don't plan on selling anything for long time I would like to really work on these and get them good before they ever get given to anyone other than my mother and maybe other testers.

I have my wax picked out to try, I'm going to be trying KY Para Soy tart and votive blend, and I also went to NG and picked out 10 FO's to try and while I don't expect perfection or anything great I'm hoping to at last be able to enjoy a few hours of some scents I enjoy.

I just have 2 quick questions. Is color important in tarts? I really don't care what color they are and I know my mother doesn't care, but if/when I hit the stage where I would be giving them to testers, and then again if/when I hit the stage where I might be ready to try selling them. How important is it to color your tarts?

And my other question after reading some debates on curing your candles/tarts I was curious what people felt about curing or the curing time for the parasoy blend. I look forward to hearing peoples opinions and just want to thank everyone who posts there knowledge on these boards it is a great learning source.

Welcome to Craftserver!

Its up to you to decide if you like to color your tarts. I prefer to color just because I like a color to match the scent; christmas tree: christmas green, strawberry: red or strawberry colored, cinnamon: cinnamon red, etc.

Have fun learning to make your tarts! I think you are going to like them as much or more than any you will buy.

Just want to welcome you to the wonderful world of wax! You're definitely starting out the right way--giving yourself time to learn and do lots of testing before jumping into selling. As for your questions, I think coloring is totally a matter of preference. I personally love color and it really helps me to find which tarts I want if they're all in a container because I know what color each scent normally is.

I don't use KY's parasoy blend but mix my own, and it doesn't require a long curing time. I'll be interested to hear from actual KY parasoy users whether it has a longer cure time.

Meantime, wanted to welcome you.

Jane

thank you both for the welcome =o) I really can't wait to start playing with my tarts. I guess as long as they are only for me and my mother I will leave them plain but if I ever get to the point of selling them then I'll look into coloring them. Hopefully we will hear from some parasoy users too =o)

Well, I mix my own para/soy, but no curing for me. I'm of the opinion that the only thing that happens with curing is your wax gets older and your nose gets clearer.

Starting with wickless will keep you from a lot of headaches, but beware, you will get sucked in sooner or later! :P

I color my melts, but some people prefer the 'clean' look of no color. Just be sure to use candle dye when you start playing. Food color won't work.

Have fun!