Coconut Wax

Ok, so the candles have set up, I do notice that the wax is really soft, I can see how mixing it with a harder wax might be a good idea, to me it almost looks and feels like 4627 when it is set up, maybe even a little softer then that. I can tell you that the CT is really strong, at least with this particular FO.

You can see in the close up that the wax sunk a little and cracked around the edge but a very quick pass with the heat gun took care of it.

post-4600-139458474397_thumb.jpg

post-4600-139458474401_thumb.jpg

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I could find on the internet the coco wax is made by Accu-Blend in CA, according to their site they also have the Olive Oil Blend and Canola Oil Blend, but the site says it will be available soon. I sent them an email yesterday and asked them if this wax was located anywhere else in the country, I'm still waiting to hear back.

http://www.accu-blend.com/HTML%20Files/new_products_1.htm

These are candles from a year ago (I used to test wicks by inserting) so you can see no wick. one (red) is the accusoy I got from Swans and the white is CO wax 25% and advanced, I expected the advanced to pull away but looked ugly to me. Hope this help with the longevity aspect.

The red one must have got hot this summer it looks like it sweated a little or I used a little too much FO, this room faces south and get pretty warm in the summer.

post-11440-139458474406_thumb.jpg

post-11440-13945847441_thumb.jpg

post-11440-139458474413_thumb.jpg

post-11440-139458474416_thumb.jpg

Those look great Kyme, nice smooth tops and creamy white. I'm really interested to hear how it will affect the scent and burn of the soy. I played hookie from work today so I could play with my coconut wax...lol, its such an addiction! lol :rolleyes2

Bet ya had a better day than I did:laugh2::laugh2:hey I have alot of sick days coming:laugh2:

Thanks for the photos Soy...did you ever burn them? What was the consistancy of your coco wax? I can't wait anymore I'm going to take one of my testers to work with me today, I'm bringing the 51z tester because I really don't think this wick is ideal but still had to give it a try since I had so many of them. :rolleyes2

Yup, I did burn...lol, :tiptoe: I took the 51z to work and surprisingly it did well. The wax appears to burn down then out, it took almost 5 hours to get a FMP, but I don't think I would want to put a bigger wick in there until I see how it burns all the way to the bottom.

I also lit up the CD12 and HTP83 tonight when I got home from work. The HTP is not doing well at all, I looks like its just a matter of needing a larger wick, I'll switch it out tomorrow. The CD12 is doing much better nice flame almost FMP, its been almost 3 hrs since I lit it. So far the HT is ok, nothing fabulous but that could just be the fo I'm using. The CT was good so maybe a matter of needing more cure time.

I'm going to make a couple more tomorrow and add about 30% soy in them and see how that goes.

Yup, I did burn...lol, :tiptoe: I took the 51z to work and surprisingly it did well. The wax appears to burn down then out, it took almost 5 hours to get a FMP, but I don't think I would want to put a bigger wick in there until I see how it burns all the way to the bottom.

I also lit up the CD12 and HTP83 tonight when I got home from work. The HTP is not doing well at all, I looks like its just a matter of needing a larger wick, I'll switch it out tomorrow. The CD12 is doing much better nice flame almost FMP, its been almost 3 hrs since I lit it. So far the HT is ok, nothing fabulous but that could just be the fo I'm using. The CT was good so maybe a matter of needing more cure time.

I'm going to make a couple more tomorrow and add about 30% soy in them and see how that goes.

I expected that from the HTP. I used what Swans recommended in the 3" status HTP 105 (keep in mind I can't find the notes) the CD 12 is goin to be a better wick:laugh2:Wish I would have known that a year ago. So you did 100% If you will let the next batch cure:laugh2:sorry I couldn't resist that one, cause I know where your comin from. The wax will harden up a bit and the CT & HT will be better.

You're gonna make me do this again cause I can't stand it:laugh2:What diameter is you jar about 2 3/4?

Your right Soy, the HTP is too small, for some reason I read somewhere to wick the coco more like paraffin then soy, anyway Im sure I have an HTP 105 somewhere is my stash of wicks..lol but so far I'm liking the CD better with this wax anyway so maybe I will just work with that one for now.

I'm using the 11oz Libby tumblers the diameter is just over 3inches, I'm going to throw some soy into them today so I will adjust my wicking up a little, it seems the 51z and CD12 are doing ok so far at 100% coco wax. I guess I'm going to let them cure a little longer then 24 hours before I light em up...lol...it's so difficult sometimes :rolleyes2

OK my 25% blend did well I have hang up on one side, but I am going to try it today and see if it catches up. As far a throw it was good, but it was a blend of Vanilla FO and Peppermint EO. I am not sure that was improved, but I do love the appearance of the wax. To me it has a nice sheen and texture. It would be worth adding that amount if only for that purpose.

I went a head last night (late) because I knew I would be up for a while. I lit the 100% and the 50/50%...Wild fig FO CD12 my jars are 3"tall by 3" wide. The 100% did great, and the 50/50 burned down then out. It made a shelf of wax and then burned below. I dont get that one...I will light them in a few to see what happens on the 2nd burn.

I got info on coconut wax.. it is a blend. The all veggie coconut blend is coconut, soy and beeswax. The non-veggie is a blend of coconut and paraffin. It comes in a bead/blob form and slabs. They are out of stock on both, but will get more in a few weeks. When they do, I'm going to get a sample to at least see what it is about.

To do a co-op, I would need to purchase 1750 pounds. When I figure out how I'm going to pick it up or delivery charges, I will post the co-op.

I hope everyone is still interested.

So far I'm burning the 51z and CD12 in 100%, the 51z is actually doing ok, a little hang up but as the wick get further down it should clear up. The CD12 is doing the best so far, nice consistant flame, little to no mushrooms and virtually no soot at this point, see what happens as it gets further down in the tumbler.

I made 2 more in the libbey tumblers on Sunday with 30% soy and Dreamcatcher fo from AH/RE, I think I might have poured too hot, they sank and cracked a little in the center, I'm used to just scenting and pouring around 170-175 so I think I will let it cool a little more next time, it was no problem to fix with the heat gun tho. So far very good CT, I will burn them tomorrow and see how the HT is.

OK, so my 6 month old camera suddenly doesn't work and "no one" in the house has touched it or knows anything about it!!!! (what Mother hasn't heard that one?) lol

So this sorry excuse of a picture is with my daughters Iphone...

the one on the right is the 100% with a CD12 and SGS wild fig. The one on the left with 50/50% CD14 and SGS Wild Fig. They had been burning (:shocked2:) all day, the 12 had quite a bit of hang up, the 14 only on the side away from the wick curl. As for hot through I feel it was improved, definetly there was great adhesion to the glass, no dreaded air pockets (which I hate). I have the 1st one I poured with 30% I will light again today and see how it does. I love the texture ( or should I say smooth lack of texture) It is so smooth and shiney to me compared to 100% 464. I need to test more FO's with 30% and I think since I have them try one with and RRD.

HT was improved

Adhesion to glass improved

post-11142-139458474517_thumb.jpg

Edited by kyme1911
missing word

As for hot through I feel it was improved, definetly there was great adhesion to the glass, no dreaded air pockets (which I hate) ... I love the texture ( or should I say smooth lack of texture) It is so smooth and shiney to me compared to 100% 464 ... HT was improved

Adhesion to glass improved

So does that mean no flakiness, no craters and icky tops after burning that we see so often with soy?