ANOTHER Failure ... Ready To Call It Quits

Shirlee

Oh Shirlee, I feel like giving you a hug because I know how frustrating it can be; please don't despair. These days I feel that way with candles. I read all the "success stories' and feel like a big flop, that I'll never be able to craft a decent, highly scented container candle!

I have had FOs that just wouldn't throw for me. I recently tried Butternut pumpkin from Lone Star, and TCS wax won't throw worth a darn. However, I tried it in fewer than 48 hours after I poured it. At first I thought my nose just couldn't smell it, so I asked my husband and he asked "You have a new one going? Can't smell a thing..." My heart dropped, lol

However, I just put another Butternut pumpkin tart in the burner; if it doesn't throw then I'd better not waste my time with it, it's not going to work (it's been about 2 weeks since I poured that scent); will keep you posted. :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do your tarts resemble Ravens' in appearance and strength of fragrance? Do you have a room with a ceiling fan? Place your tart in that room and turn on the fan and see if that makes a difference. Unless some ingredient in the wax is locking your scent in or your batch of wax has some kind of issue (hence the question about appearance between the two tarts) then I would move on to parrafin and forget soy. Try a sample of V wax from Connie's Candles and see if that won't work. I like V wax (forget what its called now) for votives and believe you would like it for tarts too. HTH.

Steve

Another tart-making failure. I bought highly recommended wax ... TCS container wax ... & highly recommended FOs, both by TCS & by other suppliers.

I made some tarts last Friday using this wax & a FO called Pumpkin Pie Spice from Heartfelt Candle Supply. I heated 1 pound of wax to 175-180 degrees per the instructions, added 1 ounce of FO, stirred for 2 minutes, then poured my tarts. I let the tarts cure in a glass jar until this morning. With much anticipation I opened the jar & really didn't smell anything. I put one of the tarts into my tart burner & turned it on. It's now been burning for about half an hour & the scent is so faint you can barely notice it when you stand right next to the tart burner. The scent of the FO is very strong in the bottle.

I am not happy. I'm not a wealthy person & I can't keep spending money on different waxes & FOs only to be disappointed time & time again. I'm going to play around with this a little more but if something doesn't work for me soon then I'm not going to be able to anything more than cut my losses & try to sell my leftovers on eBay or something :sad2:

Very unhappily,

Shirlee

Hi Shirlee,

I am new to this forum, but have been reading for quite some time. But after reading about your frustrations with no scent throw, I just had to reply. Let me tell you, you are not alone on this. I am having the same problems. Most recently with the container wax from Candlesource. I'm thinking and hoping it may just be a bad batch of wax. After reading this forum and hearing all the rave reviews about the Candlesource wax, I went ahead and ordered it. My first batch that I got back in June was wonderful! Most all the scents had an awesome hot throw after about a 7 - 9 day cure. As for the batch I ordered back in September - nothing. Every batch of tarts has been a dud. I'm really disappointed AND frustrated. This isn't a cheap hobby and I can't afford to buy and buy - add to that, the shipping rates are terrible. If I put my nose right up to the tart burner, it smells great! Walk 10 feet away and nothing. And since I can't carry my tart burner around the house with my nose stuck in it, I want the darn tarts to throw. lol

So far I have only ordered scents from three companies, Natures Garden, Candle Science and Peak. I don't know if others will agree with me or not, but I seem to have the best luck with Peak scents. They seem to deliver the Hot Throw I'm looking for. One that I just love from Peak and is great for this time of year is Cranberry Apple Marmalade. I'm addicted to that scent! I'm seriously considering just using parafffin wax. Back in May I made some using the IGI 4794 wax and the hot throw was wonderul on all my scents. But I will order another slab of Candlesource wax and see what happens. As others have said, there are some scents that just won't throw no matter what kind of wax you use. One scent that I absolutely love is Strudel and Spice from Candle Science - I can't get that to throw in any way - even using 1.5 oz. per pound and letting it cure for 2 weeks - so I took that off my list.

Hang in there and don't give up! I feel the same way at times, that I just want to say forget it. Then I come to this forum and read the same frustrations from others and then I don't feel so bad. One of these times I know I will get it right!! :smiley2:

Lynn

Shirlee and Lynn, as I suspected the Butternut pumpkin FO from Lone Star is a dud in TCS wax. I can smell it if I'm only a few feet away from the burner, so to me that's a big "F". I think Steve raised a good point - you may have ended up with a bad batch.

It may be a good idea to start keeping a record of the batch numbers; if we run into a problem and others do also, comparing batch numbers may shed some light on our problem. I will start doing that.

Shirlee, if you want you can send me one or 2 of the tarts you made. I'll see if they look any different from mine, and then i will melt them. If you send me just 8oz of TCS wax you have, I will test it for myself, and report back to you. Try to keep a positive attitude, I think most of us understand the frustration you must be feeling. ttyl :smiley2:

I am having the same issues that Shirlee is having. I just can't get a good cold or hot throw with The Candle Source container wax I ordered. I ordered 4 slabs that was delivered on October 15th. I don't know what the batch number is. I haven't wanted to say anything before my results got back from my testers I thought maybe it was just my nose. All of my testers asked what happened to my melts, they have to be right on top of them to smell them. I send my portion cups out to four different testers and I got the same response from all of them. I used fragrances from TCS and Aroma Haven, Backwoods, and CS. I had such high hopes for this wax. I still have 2 slabs left and I really don't think I want to waste my fragrance oil testing anymore of it. Maybe it was a bad batch. I wish I would have saved my packing slip, maybe the batch number would have been on that. I'm back to working with my Clarus 3022 because all of my testers are happy with the results.

Sharon

Well, now I'm getting worried. I'm running low on TCS wax and need to order some but what if I end up with a bad batch. SharonKay, is there any way you could find out from Loren what batch number was sent to you? I certainly don't want that one!

I have tried the Clarus and it did not work for me at all... this is so odd, not just about TCS wax playing dud, but also the fact that Clarus works well for you and it's a disaster for me :sad2:

If you can't find out about the batch number, I will order just a few slabs of TCS wax; if they're no good I can always mix it with 4633, but I sure hope I won't have to!

Ravens...Is the batch number on the receipt? When I ordered my candle warmer lamp they sent me a sample clamshell of Grandma's Kitchen. I just put it in my warmer to try it and the hot throw is amazing. I can smell it all the way in the other room. I followed the directions exactly when making it. This is so... frustrating.

I just put an email into Loren and asked him if he has a record of the batch number because I want to make sure that I don't get anything from that batch again because of my issues with my hot throws.

Sharon

Sharon, I am going to look right away and will let you know. If the sample tart you received from Loren throws so well, you owe it to yourself to call him and explain exactly what's been going on. And you can also add for me that he'd better get rid of the batch you bought as I don't want to risk the same aggravation, lol

Ok, let me go check my receipts :tiptoe:

Dont give up Its frustrating but worth it. I started making candles Aug 09 and still cant get the ht/wick right. For tarts I use mostly feather palm wax. I also use Ecosoya PB for clamshells. If your not opposed to palm give it a go. I have not had 1 FO that doesnt throw in palm. I use mostly 9% sometimes 12% if its light but I love the fragrance. I only make as a hobby with a few sales to friends. Expensive hobby but rewarding when you get it right. Keep at it :)

My thoughts too, I use 1oz PP only. I might add I use whatever palm wax I'm making at the time GG, Starburst, Feather. They always come out great.

Edited by soy327

Found them, but no batch numbers :sad2:

It may have been printed on the carton, but I don't keep them; I just take the slabs out and put them on the shelves. But I will make a note of batch numbers from now on (provided they are on the box).

If you call Loren, please let us know what he says. Thanks!:)

SharonKay ...

I know we sent for our wax at the same time. Since it's not working for either of us, perhaps the reason is a "bad batch?" However, I'm not real comfortable with the fact that a company can make the same thing over & over again & then whoops, a bad batch.

If you do call Loren, please tell him I ordered my wax at the same time you did & it's not working for me either. Ask him if he can check to see if I got the same batch number as you. I don't think I have my receipt or packing slip anywhere around here but I'll look later today. Got a few things going on this morning.

Blessings,

Shirlee

Another tart-making failure. I bought highly recommended wax ... TCS container wax ... & highly recommended FOs, both by TCS & by other suppliers.

I made some tarts last Friday using this wax & a FO called Pumpkin Pie Spice from Heartfelt Candle Supply. I heated 1 pound of wax to 175-180 degrees per the instructions, added 1 ounce of FO, stirred for 2 minutes, then poured my tarts. I let the tarts cure in a glass jar until this morning. With much anticipation I opened the jar & really didn't smell anything. I put one of the tarts into my tart burner & turned it on. It's now been burning for about half an hour & the scent is so faint you can barely notice it when you stand right next to the tart burner. The scent of the FO is very strong in the bottle.

I am not happy. I'm not a wealthy person & I can't keep spending money on different waxes & FOs only to be disappointed time & time again. I'm going to play around with this a little more but if something doesn't work for me soon then I'm not going to be able to anything more than cut my losses & try to sell my leftovers on eBay or something :sad2:

Very unhappily,

Shirlee

:cheesy2:Shirlee I'm glad to see your back but I'm sorry your having problems. I'm STILL having problems getting a quality melt too but it's getting a little better. I've read several comments from people mixing the 415 soy like the lady right after your comments and they love it. I don't know what type of wax they mix it with but I've seen it before. Maybe that's what we need to do. I'm also using the TSC wax. I talked to Loren the owner and I use to put mine in the freezer after they hardened to get out of the mold then put them right into a glass container. He told me not to put them in the freezer! Right after they barely harden but enough to where you can move them and not have them spill, put them right into the refrigerator for 1 to 1/2 hours. Then into the glass jar. He said the fo jells better with the wax at a slower temp than freezing it. Hope that helps! Let me know what you hear in terms of how we can get a good quality tart! Thanks, Mary "Don't give up" I'm determined, and we have gotten so much help from the others! Take care!!

Thanks to everyone for all the encouragement & advice. I haven't made any tarts since Monday when I made the 100% soy ones that frosted (tried them last nigh - no scent whatsoever). Also on Monday I made another batch of tarts using 1.5 ounces of Heartfelt Candle Supply's Spiced Cranberries FO with 1 pound of the TCS wax. I popped 2 of those tarts into the burner this morning & they actually do throw out a scent but not dramatically so. I can smell it when I'm in the same room but nowhere else. I'm aiming to make tarts like the ones I buy from a vendor which scent almost my entire downstairs.

I ordered some wax from another company to try but it hasn't arrived yet. I think I might try another company or two as well but I have to wonder how long this can go on. I'm thinking of trying another batch of tarts using the TCS wax & increasing the FO to 2 ounces per pound of wax & see where that gets me.

Ravens, I would be happy to send you 8 ounces of my TCS wax to try & also a couple tarts. Unfortunately I tossed away the ones that didn't provide a scent at all but I can send you 2 of the Spiced Cranberries if you want to see what they are like. I'll need your address. I know I saved it but that was before I went to the hospital so heaven only knows where it is now.

Blessings,

Shirlee

Ravens ... I meant to ask you, do you add any other type of wax to your TCS wax? It seems a lot of people blend waxes & I just don't understand that. If I wax is made for votives, it should work for votives "as is." If a wax is made for tarts, it should work for tarts "as is." Makes no sense to me that you have to be like a chemist, mixing various waxes until you find a "recipe" that works : (

Blessings,

Shirlee

I am having the same issues that Shirlee is having. I just can't get a good cold or hot throw with The Candle Source container wax I ordered. I ordered 4 slabs that was delivered on October 15th. I don't know what the batch number is. I haven't wanted to say anything before my results got back from my testers I thought maybe it was just my nose. All of my testers asked what happened to my melts, they have to be right on top of them to smell them. I send my portion cups out to four different testers and I got the same response from all of them. I used fragrances from TCS and Aroma Haven, Backwoods, and CS. I had such high hopes for this wax. I still have 2 slabs left and I really don't think I want to waste my fragrance oil testing anymore of it. Maybe it was a bad batch. I wish I would have saved my packing slip, maybe the batch number would have been on that. I'm back to working with my Clarus 3022 because all of my testers are happy with the results.

Sharon

Hey Ya'll I ordered mine from TSC a few weeks ago when Raven was saying how good it was. I'm having the same problems as Shirlee and went back to the Melting Pot by my house and started using the IGI wax again. Could we have all gotten a bad batch? Did not realize this happened. :confused:

Sharon, I am going to look right away and will let you know. If the sample tart you received from Loren throws so well, you owe it to yourself to call him and explain exactly what's been going on. And you can also add for me that he'd better get rid of the batch you bought as I don't want to risk the same aggravation, lol

Ok, let me go check my receipts :tiptoe:

Raven, I ordered my wax about the same time as you. I'm having problems too. In fact I went back to the IGI wax from the supplier by my house because I had some orders and wanted to work with the TCS wax more before giving them to my friends. Did not realize it may be a bad batch. I still have the box that's how I store it I'll see if there's something on it. It has the date 10/24/10 and all the normal shipping infomation. If you know what set of numbers I'm looking for I'll let you know. Thanks!!

I still think Loren needs to be notified about this. This is sounding more and more like a case of a bad batch. As I need to order more of TCS wax, I don't want the batch some of you ended up with :sad2: (wonder how much of it he has left? Perhaps he should return it to the manufacturer?)

Shirlee will be sending me some of her wax; I will test it immediately and report back; thank you, Shirlee!:smiley2:

I still think Loren needs to be notified about this. This is sounding more and more like a case of a bad batch. As I need to order more of TCS wax, I don't want the batch some of you ended up with :sad2: (wonder how much of it he has left? Perhaps he should return it to the manufacturer?)

Shirlee will be sending me some of her wax; I will test it immediately and report back; thank you, Shirlee!:smiley2:

Raven, I sent you and Shirlee and personal email. Do you mind checking and see if you received it? I think I'm having problems sending private messages. Thanks for your time!!