ANOTHER Failure ... Ready To Call It Quits

Shirlee

Another tart-making failure. I bought highly recommended wax ... TCS container wax ... & highly recommended FOs, both by TCS & by other suppliers.

I made some tarts last Friday using this wax & a FO called Pumpkin Pie Spice from Heartfelt Candle Supply. I heated 1 pound of wax to 175-180 degrees per the instructions, added 1 ounce of FO, stirred for 2 minutes, then poured my tarts. I let the tarts cure in a glass jar until this morning. With much anticipation I opened the jar & really didn't smell anything. I put one of the tarts into my tart burner & turned it on. It's now been burning for about half an hour & the scent is so faint you can barely notice it when you stand right next to the tart burner. The scent of the FO is very strong in the bottle.

I am not happy. I'm not a wealthy person & I can't keep spending money on different waxes & FOs only to be disappointed time & time again. I'm going to play around with this a little more but if something doesn't work for me soon then I'm not going to be able to anything more than cut my losses & try to sell my leftovers on eBay or something :sad2:

Very unhappily,

Shirlee

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were so sorry that your having issues with the tarts and hope this simple tip may help you some.

Not saying to buy a new wax or FO or anything, but try to increase your FO to 1.5 ounces to each pound of wax? This is what we use for all our candles, tarts, tea lights, votives, pillars, etc and seems to work extremely well =)

The debate over the "best wax for xxxx" is different for every single person, so personally, it's what YOU like, not what others like.... but the 1.5 ounces should give your tarts a better throw and make it stronger. Being your not "burning" the tarts with a wick, no worries if you go over on the FO a bit =)

Best of luck to you and hope you have some success soon =)

I have only done this a few times, so my conclusion isn't set in stone: but I have put some of my scented container wax in my melters a couple of times and wasn't impressed either. The melts I make with a votive/pillar wax throw much better and last longer. I use 9% in my melts. I see TCS has a Celestial Votive mix which is 50% 415 soy. That sounds like a good wax to try for tarts and melts. (I blend my own tart wax using 415). HTH!

How you using a digital scale to measure your fo?

I'm using a small plastic measuring cup that had markings from .25 ounce to 1 ounce. I weighed that cup on a quality digital scale, then added my FO & measured again, so I am definitely getting the correct measurement of FO.

I do the same with my wax ... weigh the container, then add the wax & weigh again taking the weight of the container into the equasion.

Blessings,

Shirlee

Thank you EccoLights & IwantItgreen ...

I will try increasing the FO. Hate the idea that I maybe wasted money on this wax. Hopefully increasing the FO will help. If not, I guess I can find some other use for it. Already researching other waxes. I don't want to give this up ... I really like working with the wax.

Blessings,

Shirlee

Dont give up Its frustrating but worth it. I started making candles Aug 09 and still cant get the ht/wick right. For tarts I use mostly feather palm wax. I also use Ecosoya PB for clamshells. If your not opposed to palm give it a go. I have not had 1 FO that doesnt throw in palm. I use mostly 9% sometimes 12% if its light but I love the fragrance. I only make as a hobby with a few sales to friends. Expensive hobby but rewarding when you get it right. Keep at it :)

Shirlee, wish I could tell you what is going on with your tarts and wax, but it sure sounds like you're having a heck of a time with it/them.

I've been using the candlesource container wax for a long time and it works beautifully with most FOs. I do use close to 1.5oz pp of wax. Maybe that will help? Not sure where you live but if you ever want to get rid (I hope not:shocked2:!) of the candlesource wax, keep me in mind.

No problem with my smeller CareBear ... lol! I have tried & true tarts I've been given or have purchased from others & they scent almost my entire downstairs just burning one of them. Also, this particular batch of tarts that I tried yesterday that didn't have any scent at all ... they smelled wonderful when I was making them. The entire kitchen smelled like a pumpkin pie bakery. I also asked my husband about the tarts I tried yesterday & he also indicated he couldn't smell anything : (

Blessings,

Shirlee

All last week I have made tarts with TCS wax and I have not had a problem, Made some Elton john fireside from ICS for a customer and sent them to her and got a email back that I out did myself. she said one tart filled her whole house and she ordered more for christmas gifts.

I heated wax to about 180 than added fragrance between 172 and 175

used anywhere from 1 ounce to 1.5 and stirred for about 2 minutes.

Shirlee,

could it be possible that you just have candle nose from making the tarts and then testing them before your house and nose have cleared? I also recommend going with 1.5 ounces per pound of wax. Like someone else suggested, I would ask a friend or neighbor to try a tart. If possible, arrange to visit their house about an hour or two after they have had the tart fully melted.

HTH

Deb

KY-sam

I've never tried Fireside. I have 2 samples of it, but it's from Peak's. Will try it with TCS wax in the next half hour.

Got my Peak's order today (the sample sale) and there are a few FOs I never tried before like the salsa mango which got great reviews on their site. I hope it will throw in The Candlesource container wax. Will keep you all posted on how it goes.:smiley2:

All last week I have made tarts with TCS wax and I have not had a problem, Made some Elton john fireside from ICS for a customer and sent them to her and got a email back that I out did myself. she said one tart filled her whole house and she ordered more for christmas gifts.

I heated wax to about 180 than added fragrance between 172 and 175

used anywhere from 1 ounce to 1.5 and stirred for about 2 minutes.

Made my tarts pretty much the exact same way ky-sam. Heated the wax to 175-180, removed from the heat, added the colorant, added the scent (1 ounce per pound of wax as was recommended to me here on the forum), stirred for 2 minutes, poured into the molds (metal tart molds), let cool, popped themout, & stored them in a glass jar with a screw-on lid for 3 days to let them cure before using them. No scent : (

Shirlee,

could it be possible that you just have candle nose from making the tarts and then testing them before your house and nose have cleared? I also recommend going with 1.5 ounces per pound of wax. Like someone else suggested, I would ask a friend or neighbor to try a tart. If possible, arrange to visit their house about an hour or two after they have had the tart fully melted.

HTH

Deb

I wish that was the case Deb but no, that's not it. I make the tarts & they have a nice scent as I pour them & as they're setting. When they are set I then store them in a glass jar with a screw-on lid for 3 days (sometimes 4) before trying them in my tart burner. Right now I'm trying tarts from a batch I made 4 days ago. I used the TCS container wax (1 lb) & 1 ounce of the TCS FO called Blue Spruce which was highly recommended here. They smelled fine when I poured them & as they were setting. Two of these tarts have been in my burner now for about an hour & there is absolutely no scent whatsoever.

I haven't been doing any highly fragrant cooking in my house or baking. I make sure the house is free from any cooking or cleaning odors before I burn tarts. I'm recovering from surgery so I'm not cooking or baking or cleaning anyway. Oftentimes I'll pop tarts in the burner first thing when I get up in the morning. This morning I popped in a tart from a woman who makes them & sells them online. Her tarts are the best I've ever had. Within half an hour to an hour almost my entire downstairs was scented with the smell of spice cake.

As I indicated earlier, my husband can't smell these things either. He has, however, chastized me in the recent past for burning tarts that are "too strong." The fault doesn't lie with me or my nose, or because I try them right away after making them, or because I make other tarts & try previously made ones at the same time, or because I cook highly fragrant foods & burn tarts while I'm cooking or directly after. I don't know what is happening here. It seems I'm doing everything right except I used 1 ounce of FO per pound of wax for these 4 batches of tarts I made since I got out of the hospital because that is what I was told was the correct ratio when I asked. I did make a batch of tarts last night using the TCS container wax but adding 1.5 ounces of FO. Again they smelled wonderful while they were being poured & while they were cooling. They're curing in a sealed glass jar now. I'll post on Saturday after I try them to report on the outcome.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Blessings,

Shirlee

Gddawg, I noticed the same thing, after a while I cannot smell a thing and have to give my nose several days' rest. Apparently it also effects other members in your household, as my husband ended up having the same problem. So I gave a few tarts to some friends of mine and my neighbors, and they could smell them, but to me I really thought I had "lost it", as I could smell asbsolutely nothing.

Shirlee, do you have any other wax handy? If so, why not try a small batch using the same amount of wax to FO, using the same FOs that aren't throwing now, and see if there's any difference? It really is a puzzling thing what's going on; TCS wax throws very well with many, many fragrance oils:confused:

If it's any consolation, I do empathize with you; have no idea (and frankly would rather not know) how much time and money I spent on products that worked great for many people but ended up as duds in my hands... it IS quite frustrating, but hang in there, there is a light of the end of the tunnel. :smiley2:

Ravens ...

The only other wax I have handy is an unknown 100% soy that I purchased from a vendor on Etsy last year. It was advertised for pillars & tarts. I used it last year. If I remember correctly, the tarts smelled okay but there was no hot throw. In desperation I tried it again the other night. Made a few tarts after pouring a little loaf. They are all curing now & will be ready Friday morning but I'm not expecting much since I didn't have luck with it before. I also tried making another batch using 1 pound of the TCS wax & 1.5 ounces of FO instead of 1 ounce. They are curing & will be ready Friday night. I ordered a sample of another type of wax that should be in sometime late this week or next & I will try that as well. You are right, it is puzzling that this isn't working out for me because I know you & several other people have posted that you love the TCS wax ... but then again others have posted that they have no luck with it at all.

Blessings,

Shirlee

Shirlee, which FOs have you tried with TCS wax? Were you pleased with the tarts I had sent you? wish I lived closer so we could try to figure out what isn't working between you and TCS together. I know it's easier said than done, but try to not get too upset.

There IS the occasional FO that will just not throw for me in TCS wax, no matter what, but it's relatively rare.

Several days ago I tried a few new scents, but haven't tested yet. However, I did test a little candle I made and I am very, very pleased with it... the first candle I get a really decent throw from; I used 16oz of TCS wax with 1.3oz of Sheer Seduction (NG) and a CD7 in a 4oz. jelly jar. Loved it!

Have you tried calling Loren by any chance? If so, what did he tell you?

Yes, I'm referring to The Candle Source container wax. Looks like there's a few company names that can be shortened to TCS. Maybe we'd better write it out in the future : )

No Ravens, I haven't called Loren. I don't know what the point of that would be. I know someone else posted that they didn't have luck with this wax & they called Loren but I don't think the mystery was solved to any degree. I have tried 2 of the tarts you sent me thus far & both of them gave an amazing hot throw. In fact, one of them was so strong that I actually shut off the burner & put the melting pan outside because it was overpowering! I only have 2 brands of FOs that I've tried ... some I bought from The Candle Source (The Great Pumpkin, Blue Spruce, & Gingerbread) & some I purchased from Heartfelt Candle Supply (Pumpkin Pie Spice, Warm Gingerbread, & Spiced Cranberry). Peak was recommended to me so I ordered 2 of their sample sets the other day & will try a couple of those when they come in. After someone else suggested using 1.5 ounce of FO instead of 1 ounce, I made the Spiced Cranberry & they are still curing. I can give them a try tomorrow night or Saturday.

Okay Ravens ... just for the heck of it I went ahead & popped another one of your tarts into my burner after writing the above paragraph & then went into the bathroom & dried my hair. It's the Liquid Crack tart. The scent was very, very nice when I opened the little package. I finished drying my hair & came into the livingroom & could smell the fragrance right away. My husband then came out of his den heading for the kitchen to get something to drink & said "Hey, that tart smells nice!" I said "It's not one of mine," & he said "Oh." Lol! Poor guy was happy for me there for a minute : )

Sigh!

Blessings,

Shirlee

Edited by Shirlee