How long do you suppose it would take...

..to test 200+ fragrance oils? I was at a craft show this weekend and was told that this one candlemaker had been in business for a little bit over a year and she handed me a fragrance list. It has over 200 oils on it. Do you think she really tested them all? I have been in business for over 7 years now and I have maybe tested 200, but not even half were up to my standards. Just wondering if its possible, is all....she uses pure soy too. Every tart I looked at had frost somewhere, candles too, so I am sure it was soy. I don't want to be quick to judge, so I figured I could ask for opinions.

ok....I guess I am too picky with my oils, lol. It has taken me years to get the ones I have. The slow selllers get chucked quickly. I spend weeks just testing two or three oils and then I usually only pick one of them. And I use a blend now, so it's easier to get ones that throw.

Jenny I've tested that many but I dont sell that many... I do keep a list though for customers who are looking for something specific. More power to those who can keep that many in inventory but I only keep 50 FO's in stock, 20 scents that are "best sellers" go to shows (12 at the smaller ones) and then if a customer wants something off the list of 200 they have to wait for me to re-order the FO and dig out my notes on wicking :D

someday maybe if I had a storefront and LOTS of room I could handle that many but I just dont have the space or energy!

It can be done. But I think generally speaking you want to test FOs for quality, scent throw, value, etc to produce a line of candles. Thats how you can end up testing hundreds of FOs. But to carry a load of scents seems counter productive to me.

I've run my candle biz for 5 yrs and for me its been more about narrowing down my scents and simplifying. Its been my experience that its just not cost effective to keep a lot of scents. But then my intention is to make my biz grow.

My guess is that since she has only been in the biz a year she will make changes if she wants to stay in the candle biz or she will dissappear like a lot of newbie candle makers that don't learn.

Edited by Candybee

So Luminous, out of curiosity, how long did it take you to test 200 fragrances? I just can't imagine it would go very quickly, especially with the cure time of soy.

about a year, I would pour one to two scents a day, it took up almost half of my work room! My husband thought I was nuts. Alot of them I would have my family and friends test one for me, to let me know if there was any tunneling or over mushrooming.

And leave it to me to order 20 new scents from peaks this week, along with 10 i won from NG... good lord i need help.

yes, I agree. I couldn't afford to stock that many. I am awful too, at picking only one oil from a company and then it is a pain to reorder just one. I need to test more from those companies so I can order several at a time. I really appreciate all of your input...maybe I need to be less picky, but I want the BEST! I don't ever want a customer to be disappointed. Like I said, it's been seven years for me and I carry 25 scents, I add and subtract each season. Plus I had to switch waxes a year ago, so the testing started all over again. I added 5 new ones this season. Can't imagine having 200 oils. Off to test some samples that have been waiting for me.