Primitive Wax Ornaments for Christmas Tree

Shirlee

Hubby won't take me out shopping today (he thinks I need to "rest" after my excursion to the doctor yesterday) :sad2: but that's okay ... I'm going to try to make some tarts :yay:

I am wondering if anyone knows how to go about making primitive wax ornaments for bowl fillers or to hang on Christmas trees? I'm thinking of making small primitive cakes (about 2 oz - I have a mold) & then wrapping them with tea stained cheese cloth & adding a hanger so they can hang on the tree. First off, I have no idea how to tea stain the cheese cloth. Secondly, do I need to use a certain type of wax to make ornaments? I plan to make the cakes & then roll them in spices to grunge them up a bit. I'd like to add a nice fragrance oil as well ... maybe gingerbread?

Hope-hope-hoping someone can help :smiley2:

Blessings,

Shirlee

Who would've thought that standing & slicing off small curlicues of wax from a broken piece of slab would be so exhausting?!?!? I got maybe 1/4-pound ... possibly 1/2-pound ... of wax pieces cut before I had to go lie down in the recliner & rest! I will try again tomorrow.

Blessings,

Shirlee

I had the same problem with cutting the wax..I asked my hubs to cut the wax for me andddddddddddd he used a hammer..He just held the wax up and wacked it on the corners and it broke into chunks.. who knew ths would work..He did it so fast it was amazing to watch..

HTH's

maggie

Doesn't anyone know how to make these silly ornaments :confused:

Maggie ... Good idea with the hammer! That would save a lot of cutting ... lol!

Strike up the band! I just finished making a batch of tarts (hopefully ornaments) using TCS container wax & an FO I bought last year which was really nice but didn't throw much at all in my soy wax ... hopefully it will in this TCS wax. It's by Heartfelt Candle Company & it's called Warm Gingerbread. I poured it into little metal tart molds as I chickened out using the stinky silicone molds again. The kitchen smells heavenly right now ... lol! Tomorrow (I hope) I will try another batch of tarts using a TCS FO - Blue Christmas.

The only problem I had was in pouring the wax from my pour pot into the little metal molds. It ended up dripping down the side & onto the counter which never happens when I use the silicone molds so I don't know what's up with that. I ended up having to pick up each mold & pour the wax into it & then put the filled mold down carefully. I didn't spilll any of the wax out of the molds but still had a few drips from the pour pot.

Blessings,

Shirlee

hi shirlee! can help you out with the cheese cloth. i use instant coffee & instant unsweetened tea.

put the following in a jar with a lid:

add 4 or 5 TBL instant coffee or tea to 2 cups of hot water to make a strong dark liquid. unfold the cheese cloth so it is in a flat piece (nothing folded or ya get tea stained straight fold lines). jam the cloth into the jar/liquid-it will soak up some of the coffee, but use a long spoon to keep pushing it around. put on the lid and leave it sit an hour or so-shaking the jar every once in a while. use plastic gloves to sqeeze the excess out back into the jar (if ya want to save it). sort of fluff it out & lay it onto a paper plate with 2 paper towels on. it will be a big jumbled mess, but leave it dry that way, rearranging it every couple hours. it will take a day or so to dry. to speed the process, you can use a hair dryer. i would not put it in the dryer-the coffee will leave stains on everything! when it is dry, i usually put some of the coffee liquid in a sprayer and spritz it darker in certain spots, but i like everything really, really grungy! if you don't have the instant stuff, you can boil off about 6-7 tea bags in the 2 cups of water. when dry, cut it into the sizes ya want. HTH-kris

take it easy and hope you feel better!