Shelf life of fragrance oils

moonshine

Hi everyone-

Very new here and have a question about how long fragrance oils will stay good for and if its possible for them to go bad or if its just a matter of losing their potency after time??

A guy in my area is selling all of his candle equipment for a great price- tons of molds, and over 100 fragrance oils from bitter creek- they are in 16oz. bottles- some completely full and some mostly gone but before I buy I would like to know if that is the worst that can happen if they are really old is just being weak or if there is other possible issues I might have

Thanks so much for any feedback!:grin2:

I've been making stuff for nearly 4 years now and all of my FO still smell the same as when I purchased them. I did transfer everything to amber glass bottles, though, to be on the safe side (it's supposed to last longer that way). If it doesn't smell like you think it should, then you should probably not use it.

The smell changes. It can become a sour smell or for instance a honeysuckle scent goes south and it either doesn't have a smell or it definitely isn't honeysuckle.

I've had several go bad within a year and some that are more than 5 years old that are fine and perform just fine.

It's an off smell of what the fragrance should be and/or it can be something completely different (like honeysuckle smelling like mint) and/or it's just ultra sour, bitter and kind of like whiffing a cattle truck.