new to soy containers...

Hello all, before I start I have read quit a bit here on the GB 464 as I have chosen to start with this wax. The more I read on it the more I am confused about wicks, coconut oil...etc. So this is what I was thinking of trying... the container will be a 8oz square mason jar, ECO wick maybe a 14 but know I will have to test. Some have mentioned to coconut oil to get the best scent throw If this is a good idea or needed where can I get it at as I dont see it on either CS or LS web sites that I plan to order from? the scents I will be starting with are from CS pumpkin souffle, macintosh apple and a few others all strong scents.

Any opinions or recommendations would be vary helpful on the above.

Thank you in advance for your help.

you can get coconut oil from walmart, LorAnn's is the brand, its around $5.00 for a pretty decent sized container and considering you would typically only use 1-2 tsp pp it lasts a very long time.

That being said, I dont think you should jump right in with coconut oil. Start at the beginning.. I say start with ZERO additives, zero FO. Take amazing notes... keep track of every step. That way you can always go back and see what you did.

I'd pour three containers, a different eco in each one... no additives... no FO.. then, do the same with a FO... burn all six at the same time and see what results you get.. some FO's will affect your wicking. once you've settled on a wick you can start testing Fo's and seeing whether or not you think you are having issues with hot throw. I use CO because.. well, I always have. I think it helps with many issues, not just throw.. I think it gives smoother, creamier tops.. and reduces frosting in my 464.. but then again I've got a technique down for pouring that reduces those as well.

Only testing will tell if you truly feel like you need it. I do know my candles would be fine without it, but I try to remain as consistent as possible.

i think one of the important things about testing is building our experience. We can get all the book learning we want with tutorials but actual experience comes only one way.

Testing with single types of wax and recommended wicks for the pool size got me used to how a particular wax tended to perform. It helped me to build a sense of what I call a baseline.

So adding things shows up right away if the candle test burn is different. I can tell on a test burn if I put in too much vybar, for example, because the pool is smaller and the test burn is different from what I know the raw wax wants to do.

That's good advice all the way around. I love the square Mason jar but understand that corners in jar configurations often cause more headaches than they are worth. Jars that are about as wide as they are tall would be my only advice. Straight sided and non-tapered glass is a whole lot easier to wick. Make it easy on yourself and keep it simple. Some suppliers will let you buy a test amount of wax, jars and wicks to avoid being stuck with a bunch of costly stuff you don't like or want. Getting started doesn't have to break the bank but eventually you can't eat just one. HTH

Steve

you can get coconut oil from walmart, LorAnn's is the brand, its around $5.00 for a pretty decent sized container and considering you would typically only use 1-2 tsp pp it lasts a very long time.

That being said, I dont think you should jump right in with coconut oil. Start at the beginning.. I say start with ZERO additives, zero FO. Take amazing notes... keep track of every step. That way you can always go back and see what you did.

I'd pour three containers, a different eco in each one... no additives... no FO.. then, do the same with a FO... burn all six at the same time and see what results you get.. some FO's will affect your wicking. once you've settled on a wick you can start testing Fo's and seeing whether or not you think you are having issues with hot throw. I use CO because.. well, I always have. I think it helps with many issues, not just throw.. I think it gives smoother, creamier tops.. and reduces frosting in my 464.. but then again I've got a technique down for pouring that reduces those as well.

Only testing will tell if you truly feel like you need it. I do know my candles would be fine without it, but I try to remain as consistent as possible.

Hi Luminous-

Never even thought about testing 464 without FO- thanks for that tip, that is going to save me alot of headache in my testing! As far as coconut oil how much do use per pound of wax? I think for my melts I need to start adding it to get a better top- I have started to get hairline white lines through the top of my 464/PB blend and I have done nothing different other than the temp change in my house is cooler with winter on its way. Thought maybe that would help with appearance and in saying you have your technique down for pouring 464- could you give a hint as far as temp that you pour? In straight 464 with jar candles I have not really had to many issues with appearance yet- just minor frost and dips in the surface. Also what type of wicks are you preferring in this wax? I have been using CD and love what I see so far but I also do use the square mason jar and like Chuck said- the corners must be what most of my problems are- some dont burn all the wax off the sides but I do get hot throw- lots and lots and lots of testing ahead of me:laugh2:

Hello all, before I start I have read quit a bit here on the GB 464 as I have chosen to start with this wax. The more I read on it the more I am confused about wicks, coconut oil...etc. So this is what I was thinking of trying... the container will be a 8oz square mason jar, ECO wick maybe a 14 but know I will have to test. Some have mentioned to coconut oil to get the best scent throw If this is a good idea or needed where can I get it at as I dont see it on either CS or LS web sites that I plan to order from? the scents I will be starting with are from CS pumpkin souffle, macintosh apple and a few others all strong scents.

Any opinions or recommendations would be vary helpful on the above.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Hello-

Very new here but I also use the 464 and square mason jar- i love that jar and will find a method to wick it properly one day! LOL

I started with the Eco wicks as well and CS fragrance and for me it didnt work out but alot of people love this combination- I have tried the LX and the CD and so far for me the CD has the best results- But I too am going to do what Luminous suggests and retest with no FO and the different wicks in the wax- so far I have found different FO's with same wick to be all over the board and I think in knowing how the wax works alone with just a wick will help so much- gonna start myself today!!

Good Luck and CS Pumpkin Souffle is so amazingly strong!:cheesy2:

Hi Moonshine- I use 1tsp PP of coconut oil.

I got my cooling ideas from Stella and shes a huge help on this subject... when I first started I was pouring on my cold counters so the bottom of my candles were cooling faster, and I was clustering them in a group so the sides took forever to cool... so I tried to make a setup with air circulation.

I bought some cookie racks, the wire kind you cool cookies on, and then found a sturdy box that fits snugly over them. I pour the candles and set them on the racks so there is circulation under the candles, and make sure to leave 4" between candles and there is about 4" above them when the box is on too. That way every candle candle can cool slowly and evenly.

I use peaks cotton core wicks for my masons and they gave me the best results in the end.. I tested quite a few options!! CSN, HTP, LX, Zinc.. yikes. I still get some slight mushrooming if I dont get a perfect snip on the wick the first time, but after that initial mushroom it doesnt come back.

I pour at 165-170, I tried pouring cooler and it was a MESS.. ugly, sinkholes... pouring hotter and it was a wick nightmare. 165 is my happy medium that works well for me. I also pre-heat my jars, which makes a huge difference too, imo. hope that helps!

Thank you so much Luminous! I am going to try it out- and I do have some peaks cotton wicks I bought but never tried. The cold counter top is exactly what I have been doing only in the basement where its even cooler- My jars have not turned out that bad so far compared to my tarts but the few sinkholes and dips I do get I hope this will help! Thanks again