UPS flat rate boxes coming soon.

JonB

one box is similar to the UPS Express Box and can fit into the UPS drop box. the other is 10.75 x 8.5 x 5.75. The flat rate box "shipping kit" includes the box, a UPS pouch, an activation code, tracking, shipping document, and shipping instructions. there will be a special website to access with answers to questions and to activate the box.

We are testing in two markets, Tucson, AZ and Raleigh, N.C. from October 2010 through January 2011. The boxes can be purchased at Walgreens, Costco, UPS Stores. cost is 11.99. weight limit of 70 pounds.

Can you divulge the sizes? We heard that they are comparable to the post office BUT priority mail will still be faster?

Priority mail is not faster for me AT ALL. It has always been a crap shoot. Sometimes it is 2 days and other times it is 10 days. I am very excited to hear about UPS flats since I quit shipping usps.

I really hate to hear that Noodle. We have consistently had great results with Prio Mail going to the west coast from the east coast in 3 days... For us it's just seems more green to use USPS because they go to 99% of their route everyday. UPS makes special trips for rural customers.... Just thinking out loud...

I have only used UPS for several months now and I have been thrilled with the service and delivery. With priority mail, I never know what will happen. I also have never had missed picks up with UPS. USPS always missed pick ups which resulted in angry customers for me. Customers wanted to know why the tracking is showing no movement. For instance, I would schedule a pick up for Saturday. The carrier would fail to show up and I would have to wait until Monday to ship the order. I have never had a single issue with UPS. This is not to say that they are perfect. I just find their service and delivery far more reliable than USPS.

I agree on the monthly fees from UPS. We ship alot of pkgs and for them to charge me a monthly fee was absolutely absurd. In response to Noodle about the carrier not picking up from USPS - when we saw our volumes increasing we scheduled a meeting with our local post master and let them know even though we weren't a brick & mortar store that our customers were just as important and we needed them "on board" - she agreed and we've had great service with them for 3 years now. If the price from UPS become competitive and equivable then we'll have to rethink it - but for now we are cheering for the good ol' post office...:yay:

I like USPS. I did have some damage to about 15 lids but sent my wholesaler more with extras I had on hand.

My orders from from Ohio to many states can reach my customers in 2 days.Drop off the package on Wed and I am sure it will reach my customer by Friday.I like that. Some states are FLA, NC, Maine and CT. I ship alot of candles to those areas.

If UPS does come up with some shipping prices comparable to the PO I will probably consider them. I can get 18- 10 ounce candles in the large flat rate box.More candles than that with the 8 ounce JJ.I am pleased with how many I can ship and the cost to ship is cheap.Customers are happy.

LynnS

I have the same issues with huge costs for them to collect a package from me. If I load everything up and take it to a drop off location, I don't have to pay the fee, but for the convenience of them taking it from my doorstep it also costs me $10 per package!!! And that's not a monthly fee, that an "everytime I have something to ship and schedule a pick up" fee. Booooo!!!

Edited by caryfh

Unless you have a daily pick up @ $9 - 14 a week flat rate based on $ amount you spend, then UPS and Fedex will charge anywhere from $8-10 per box on top of the shipping charge which is nuts. UPS will take any out going box free of the pick up fee if they are already there delivering a package. Fedex will not. If you know your getting a UPS package that day then just trade with the driver.

And that UPS flat rate box is insured too up to $100.00 right?

Edited by funkymonkey66
add

I have never ever paid for a UPS pick up. I never even knew they did this. I get the best service from ups and they always show up.

I used usps for years without issue. For the last year, I have had just too many problems. SO many problems, that it was affecting my business. I think that you have to use what works best for you.

Edited by Noodle

Unless you have a daily pick up @ $9 - 14 a week flat rate based on $ amount you spend, ...

The UPS daily pick-up account charges are worth it if you are shipping at least 3 days a week. If you're an occasional shipper then you are best served by dropping off your packages with whichever shipping outfit you use and saving the weekly or one time pick-up charges.