serious headache from FO

When I was pouring my 1st candles last night I got a headache which, I assume, was from the Hot Apple Pie FO that I used. I finished up and went to bed. When I got up this morning, I went to go check on my candles....which I was quite happy with looks wise :) but when I picked it up to smell it I was almost instantly naseous :(. I can't even stand the CT from them and it just happens to be quite strong.

Not sure if it is just that 1 FO in particular or the fact that my kitchen is not ventilated very well. I do not have a fan over my stove and it was -5 outside last night so I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to open the windows while I was pouring :( But I am afraid I have now ruined Hot Apple Pie for me...literally makes me sick.

Pouring candles can get to anyone... wearing a respirator-style mask helps a lot, but many folks don't like having to wear safety equipment. It's important to remember that the chemicals used to create fragrances can aggravate preexisting conditions like migraines, allergies & asthma in very low dosages in many individuals. We're getting a very high, concentrated dose of those while making candles! If you know you are sensitive to odors, please wear protection!

I just got a respirator mask couple of weeks ago. After all the years of pouring candles it didn't seem to bother me until this year. I get coughing spells when I pour some scents. So I have become very conscientious of the health of my lungs. I don't like wearing a mask but I am sure I would hate having unhealthy lungs a whole lot more.

I am also going to look around for a good air cleaner that I can put in the candle room when I pour.

The fragrance Blue Sugar gives me horrendous migraines!! I love the fragrance, but had to stop selling it because I'm not a fan of splitting head pain and puking. There must be something in the Hot Apple Pie that did it to you, if you haven't noticed any issues before. It's always a good rule of thumb to ventilate well, too, when candlemaking. Lord only knows what our lungs look like from this stuff, not having worn a respirator of some sort!

ETA: Just saw that it was your first time pouring.....I would say ventilate, ventilate, ventilate! If that doesn't do any good, you may have to invest in a respirator type mask. Good luck! Those FO headaches can be a bugger! :(

Edited by asheebeans

I had a co-worker two years ago that couldn't handle perfume. I had to come to work au-naturale or she'd walk out. Now I have a co-worker that takes her inhailer when we spray the bathroom.

Recently, a lady came by to pick up some container candles for wholesale and she was pulling the lids off and whatnot. The co-worker had to leave.

Some people are sensitive to this stuff and if so, making candles is probably not the best thing to do.

I've got the same problem with certain f/o's. I have asthma and its not irritated at all by me using the oils, but I do get banging headaches from some of the more potent fragrances I use. Its a shame because some of them I really like the smell of. I cringe when people ask for Lavender because I just hate the smell, it makes me want to heave.

Anjie,x.

I have never been sensitive to fragrance before but I do get the occasional migraine (still not sure what the triggers are). So I think I will just play it safe and wear a mask...at least until I have done it for while and can get somewhat used to the strength of the scents.