Any JBN 9900 users out there?

After taking months off from making containers, I'm back at it. Testing the JBN (just by nature) 9900 again. I pulled out some containers made last fall and spring to find they have zero cold throw??? Anyone else finding this?

Also noticing that fo's that threw like crazy in other waxes have no throw in this wax.

Anyone here use this willing to share their experience/tips or whatever with it?

I have used the JBN 9900, and although I'm not very impressed with the cold throw with some scents, others do well, mostly richer bakery scents, spicey, etc. The hot throw on most scents is great. I don't really have any tips for you, as I really don't do anything special. I generally use 1.25 oz per pound FO, and seem to get good results.

I have used the JW9900 with very good results, with many many different FOs. I also tried JBN JW6800 (but it's all paraffin) and it throws very well also.

Though I love The Candle Source wax and it throws excellent with most fo (for me, anyway), I do not think there is a single wax out there that will give you top results with all fragrances.

I recently tried the Clarus and was very disappointed. Sometimes I add the 415 to my paraffin and most of the times it improves matters... justmypersonal experience, though. HTH

Thank you both. I am testing the clarus 3020 (70 para and 30 soy) now and getting awesome cold and hot throw with zincs, but the glass adhesion is horrible. They are sending me a sample of their new parasoy blend with coconut oil in it to test.

I still have quite a bit of the jbn 9900 but almost nothing I've tried in it is throwing. I should say, they threw for a couple of burns, then nothing. Tried and true fo's in other waxes. I don't believe I made mistakes with every single tester I poured, and as I said zippo cold throw.

The other problem I found with it is that every wick I tried was a torch. Is there a particular wick you guys like with it?

I have been using the 70/30 for quite a few years now and it works great "for me". I wash and dry my jars and then put them in my toaster oven in the shop and warm them to about 150 degrees. I add fo and color at 190 degrees and stir for 2 minutes and then pour into the warmed jars. The jars go into a covered box that I keep closed and only open to add new candles. I keep the jars spaced to maintain even cooling and then cover the box with a blanket for the night. I just poured 8 cases of candles and did not have one wet spot. I use cd/cdn wicks and if an fo seems weak, will give it a couple of cure days. Most candles are ready to go out the door the next day and have great ct/ht. The wax quality has been super with no issues in a long time. You need to pour in a warm environment if possible. I like to pour this wax hot. HTH

Steve

Steve, I have a little of the Clarus 3020 but haven't had much luck with it at all. Would you mind helping me out? I think I must be doing something wrong as I get no CT/HT. I do not use dyes; I have 8oz jelly jars and the Libby's Status jars from Lone Star; they have a diameter of 3.125".

At what temp should I add the FO and will the zinc wicks work in these containers? (I have most of the zinc sizes, but also have others like CD, ECO and RRD)

It sure would be great if I could get this wax to work for me, as Clarus's just a few hours' drive away from here. Pleeease?:smiley2:

Add your fo at 185 to 190 degrees and pour about 185 or 190 degrees. I find the hotter the better for this wax. I started using this wax with an LX and have tried eco and the others (zinc included) but cds performed best. I use 7% fo (15 oz wax and 1 oz fo). My salsa jar is the same diameter and I use a cd 18 in all my fos. I like the cdn wicks the best but jbn is always out of stock so I use the Candlewic cds but TCS are fine too. Right now I'm pouring TCS Hansel/Gretel, Pom, Spiced Apples/Peaches, Cinnamon Toffee, Vanilla Bean Noel and NG Apple Jack Peel. They all perform flawlessly in this wax. There are plenty others that will do just as well. Heat your jars, pour hot and cool slowly and you should get the same results. HTH

Steve

Edited by chuck_35550

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread Soy. I have tried that wax and was not impressed. It really had a lot of wet spots and was a booger to wick. I think any wax has a knack to it that once discovered will give positive results. I can't imagine any mfg offering something that doesn't work but there are always trade-offs with waxes. This wax is identical in appearance to the Clarus 70/30 but obviously has different proportions of additives in the blend for jar adhesion. I would ask JBN if they test any of their fos with this wax and which ones were the best. HTH.

Steve

I think people always mix up the two Clarus waxes. The 3022 is the 70 soy 30 para blend and what you are using right Steve? It was sold at Greenleaf long ago as their perfect wax or something like that. It does have great jar adhesion. After they quit selling the 3022 they began selling a blend called 7505 (which is the same as the 9900) sold at JBN. It is not a Clarus wax.

I am currently testing the Clarus 3020 which is 70 para and 30 soy. It has awesome cold and hot throw and needs to be poured hot to prevent a large dip in the middle, but jar adhesion is awful. It also burns down before it burns out, which is what the 3022 does also if memory serves me. Takes at least 5 or 6 four hour burns in my 3" jars to even start melting the sides.

Thanks for your input Steve. I will call JBN about the 9900. It is a lovely wax and burns nicely in my jars, but I am so frustrated that every candle I poured in it has no cold throw at all after a few months stored covered. You would think it would get stronger the longer it cures. All my testers started out with great hot throw and then nothing. Like all the fo burned off in the first few burns.

Ravens, if you are testing the 3020 it's not the same wax as Steve uses (see post above) but it does need to be poured hot as stated. I poured at 175 and got nice level tops. Also as stated, I'm getting awesome cold and hot throw...really kick butt.

Ah-soy, ok, now I am completely confused - please help me out; I'm getting more senile by the week, it seems.... must be all the FOs fumes, lol

Some time ago I had ordered a slab from Tennessee Candle Supply; it is the TN70/30.

About a month ago I received a sample from Brad; it is the Clarus 3022.

Is the Clarus 3022 what Steve uses? Then what is the TN 70/30, is it the 3020? I thought Steve used the TN70/30. And between the two, what are the major differences? Like everyone else, I want the one that throws so strong, they'll find you passed out on the floor :laugh2:

Oh boy, my head's spinning!

Sorry if I make it more complicated than it needs to be:embarasse

Ravens...it is confusing! The Clarus 3022 is the TN 70/30 (70 soy / 30 para) and the original wax sold back in the day by Greenleaf and the wax that Steve uses. I haven't used the 3022 for years but I remember the adhesion was great.

The Clarus 3020 is a 70 para / 30 soy blend that I am testing now with great hot and cold throw, but terrible glass adhesion.

The Clarus wax I just received today is their new parasoy blend with coconut oil added. It is called the 3033 but is not yet on their website.

Hope this helps! I am hoping to get some 3033 poured up tonight.

Edited by ah-soy

Oh, thank you! So basically I have the same thing. I have a little of the TN 70/30 and a little of the Clarus 3022... same thing, huh?

So the Clarus 3020 that you're testing now is 70% para and 30% soy, and you really like its CT/HT. Did you buy it from Clarus?

I don't mind if it has poor glass adhesion, I'll use tins! Do you pour hot as the 3022?

Thank you so much for the clarification, Ah-soy! :smiley2:

Yup, the 3022 is the TN 70/30 ...the supplier just renamed it as they do.

I am currently testing the Clarus 3020 and it does need to be poured hot (175-185) or you will get a large dip in the center and have to do a repour or heat gun level. It burns down and then out so lots of hangup until halfway down the jar, then it pretty much levels out due to jar heat.

HTH

off to pour the 3033 now and see what I get!

Edited by ah-soy

Ok, here goes. The Clarus 3022 is the 70/30 that GL had and TCS sells as their own. GL discontinued the 3022 and then started offering the Clarus 3020 which is similar to 6006. It is 70/30 paraffin/soy. You can add 15 % soy to that wax and get the same effect as if you are using 6006. Eventually, the adhesion breaks down with that blend after a period of time or when the candle jar gets warm from burning. It is a good wax but I prefer the ease of the 3022. I would be interested to know how the new co wax behaves. Please keep us informed.

Thanks,

Steve

Hey Steve, I'll post my results with the new co wax soon.

FYI though the 3020 is not the wax GL switched to. I talked with Brad at Clarus and he confirmed this. They went with another supplier.

GL called their new wax 7505. When they closed down, JBN was selling the same wax as GL 7505 but calling it 9900. I confirmed this by calling JBN after GL went out of business. (there is some relation between the GL owners and the JBN owners)...brothers in law maybe?

I tested the 7505 and the 9900 and they are indeed the same wax. The 3020 performs or looks nothing like the other two. It has pitiful adhesion, burns down and then out, but it has kick butt cold and hot throw.

The 7505/9900 has very good adhesion, burns across the jar so you don't get near as much hang up. As stated, I've been struggling with the cold and hot throw though and have just started re-testing it.

Thanks for clearing that up!! I now understand the whole mess. Thanks to Brad too. LOL All this time I thought I had the 3020 and it was the JBN wax. I had tested that wax before and didn't care for it and wound up with a case of it after all. Wish I could figure out what to do with it. No, it does not look like the 6006 (I have a sample of that too in the shop) but it will behave with some added soy. I could have sworn that Brenda (GL) told me it was the same company only the reverse in soy percentage; so it was cheaper for them to carry. Oh well, I've learned that you never throw anything away and eventually you use it further down the road.

Thanks,

Steve