Customer Complaints

soshiegirl

Got a nasty email from a first time customer telling me essentially that my tarts suck and she should have listened to others who said they weren't great. She's going to give me horrible reviews, blah, blah, blah...

How should I respond to this? You all know what I want to say but what should I say, if anything? I don't get these type of responses so I'm a bit surprised by it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great day and thanks!

Who told her your tarts were bad in the first place? I would send her a response saying you're sorry she was unhappy with your product and get more information. What exactly was so "sucky" about them? Does she seem to be fishing for some freebies?

When I worked in food service, it cracked me up when someone would go into great detail about how their order was messed up, the food was horrible, they never, ever had a good experience with our establishment blah, blah, blah. But offer something free and the customer jumped right on it. My question? If it was so awful, why take it even if it's free?

Who told her your tarts were bad in the first place? I would send her a response saying you're sorry she was unhappy with your product and get more information. What exactly was so "sucky" about them? Does she seem to be fishing for some freebies?

When I worked in food service, it cracked me up when someone would go into great detail about how their order was messed up, the food was horrible, they never, ever had a good experience with our establishment blah, blah, blah. But offer something free and the customer jumped right on it. My question? If it was so awful, why take it even if it's free?

She never gave specifics just the general rant. She was very nasty in her email and don't want to deal with her but know I need to.

I had something similar happen and when I emailed her back to provide me with more info such as an invoice number and more specifics on her order and what exactly was the problem besides general dissatisfaction, I never heard another thing. I think it was an attempt to get something free or perhaps a competitor trying to "shake" me up. Either way, they didn't get what they wanted.

Just be professional and show a genuine concern for their grievance and show a willingness to understand what exactly is the issue. Some people just like to complain no matter what. Don't take it personal if you can't satisfy everyone. If you have 20 satisfied customers and 1 complainer you're doing just fine :smiley2: HTH

I had something like this happen once a long time ago...it took her calling me every name in the book, and her telling me how I had no scruples, etc. to FINALLY find out that it wasn't my candles she was complaining about!!! Rather, some other online company that started with the same first word as mine!:laugh2:She was so embarassed, but I hope she learned a lesson not to accuse someone falsely.

If you decide to respond to her I'd ask specifics (what product, scent and what the issue was that she'd had with them. Then you can decide how to proceed after you have all the info. I had someone complain once and I sent them an email back asking what they bought (as I always have a notebook that I write down my sales for each event scents and all) and I had nothing in there for that show that matched up with what she was asking for in a refund ( i did not let her know this). I politely asked her what she had bought and told her that I'd replace the scents for something else or I'd refund her money but in either case she'd have to return the products she was unhappy with so I could test them to see what the problem was. Guess what NEVER heard another word from her. Now I had a feeling she was just trying to get free stuff which is why I offered the refund. I called her bluff and she folded. Honestly I think she saw us at that show, didn't buy anything and tried to scam me for freebies. since I had no record of what she was claiming she spent that's what I think happened. The world is full of scammers and honestly I wouldn't worry about it. There's gonna be someone out there to always complain about anything and everything. You can't please them all and obviously you have satisifed customers out there so concentrate on them. And why in the world would someone buy something that they'd heard so called bad reviews about. McDonald's is selling Bic Mac's with expired meat and all my friends have gotten sick from them so let me run out and buy me some expired Big Mac's.... I mean come on, it's ridiculous sometimes how stupid they think we are.

Yeah, there is a website out there, http://notalwaysright.com/ that has stories like this from customers who are complaining just to get free stuff.

If I were the recipient, I would want all the "w's" because maybe she did get a bad product, so I would always want to do my due diligence. I'd ask for her to mail the product back, to which I would refund the postage after I received it, and would offer free replacements (after investigation) or a refund.

Its hard to tell the difference between the scammers and honestly POd.

Well, if the customer is willing to articulate what the problem is then you can take it from there.

As for general disgruntled customers, however, know that you have some protection. if the customer cannot articulate anything important (didn't like the FO, FO died or was weak, hate the color, it melted in the car, etc.), and its just a general rant, you have a few things you can remind the person of - gently of course.

1) Most States have laws that protect businesses and commerce. It is tortious conduct to interfere with business relations. That means that a general disgruntled rant with no basis in fact might be something that interferes with your normal business and you can get an injunction to shut her up or sue her if there are measurable damages.

2) Most States have laws that protect businesses from tortious interference with contracts. If you lose any contract business, that's just wrong.

3) Some States have defamation per se statutes. Defamation of a business is one of the big 4 and you don't have to prove damages.

http://www.dancingwithlawyers.com/freeinfo/libel-slander-per-se.shtml

Truth is always a defense so if your candles really do suck then too bad (but we know they don't or you wouldn't be on this board).

A nice thing to say might be, "Thanks for your feedback. While we do protect our good name from defamation, we are also very open to learning as a company and we here at BS Candles would like to understand better what your specific concerns are. Please fill out our feedback form and send it to our address below. Thank you for choosing BS Candles and we apologize for any inconvenience."

Then there's the other thing to say: "Thanks for your comment ... NOT! We here at BS Candles like to make money off of you gullible idiots any way we can. We prefer to bamboozle you and B(#&@ Slap you with diluted scent dabbed all over the outside of the wax, but if we can't, we are glad to prosecute for defamation. What do you mean we suck? You suck! Have you looked in a mirror lately that hasn't cracked in the first 10 nanoseconds? Please put your homeowner insurance carrier on notice."

Thank you everyone for your honest and helpful feedback. EricofAZ I particularly love the last paragraph! May I paraphase if I give credit? LOL.

I did reply to her email. I'm wondering what her response, if any, will be.

You all are the best and I can't thank you enough.

Cheers!

I did reply to her email. I'm wondering what her response, if any, will be.

Based on your OP I would have ignored this person if no remedy was requested. Since you chose to reply I'm sure we would all be interested on where this story goes.

Soshiegirl, feel free to paraphrase. Don't give credit, please.

You might want to change the last sentence to "Please put your oddly off-white trailer rental insurance carrier on notice and if you ain't got enough welfare to pay the premiums then your cheap no-tell motel stolen Bic pen is writing checks your five ex husbands can't afford to pay."

Soshiegirl, feel free to paraphrase. Don't give credit, please.

You might want to change the last sentence to "Please put your oddly off-white trailer rental insurance carrier on notice and if you ain't got enough welfare to pay the premiums then your cheap no-tell motel stolen Bic pen is writing checks your five ex husbands can't afford to pay."

You're too funny Eric.:laugh2: