Do you order from Fillmore Container?

I get my jars from Fillmore. I just switched from the 12oz salsa to the 9oz straight sided lug. Both jars are similar in that they have lug tops so they use similar lids.

I switched from the 12oz to the 9oz for a couple of reasons. First, the 9oz being a narrower jar leaves less bottom wax than the wider 12oz salsa. Also, the 12oz was more expensive for customers so it had more of a 'larger' candle price. When I switched to the smaller 9oz I started selling more candles immediately. Reminded me of when I used to use 8oz jelly jars and sold a lot of this size candle more than any other jar I have used.

From my experience using both jars the 9oz just makes more sense all around. Cheaper for my customers, better wax consumption, and because the salsa jars tend to go out of stock too often. Also, backup suppliers can be a problem getting the same lids or price, etc.

I fill the 9oz jars with approximately 7oz of scented wax. Thats enough to fill the container area without going into the lid section. So there's about 1/2" empty space at the top for the wick & lid.

One other reason I switched has to do with using glass glow for my wax. The 12oz jar took a larger wick and I really didn't like the larger flame. With the 9oz jar I am using a smaller wick size and have a much better flame that also flickers less and burns more steady with no visable soot buildup.

I do like the 12oz salsa jars. I still think they are adorable but they just became problematic after working with them for over a year. I am much happier with the narrower, slightly smaller 9oz jars. However, the price of the jars and lids is the same I think. But I am selling more 9oz than I was with the 12oz so it was a good switch for me.

Edited by Candybee

Thanks Candybee. That is so helpful. I was thinking the 9 oz myself. May I ask what you sell your jars for? I know they are palm so that will be different than mine, but I am just curious since I have not seen these for sale in my parts. I currently sell my 6.5 oz (8 oz) mason for $7. I am thinking I could charge $8 safely, but maybe not. I am looking to increase my profit margin...currently I pay $1.42 for my expensive but cute looking packaging. This change would lower the packaging cost to $.92 each. I think I would go with silver lids. I could also reduce labeling costs because I have been using expensive and time consuming hang tags. Once again, it's cute, but not cost effective. Labels would work great on these.

Thanks so much. I really appreciate your time. I figured out that I will make $ .50 more per candle even if I kept the price the same as now, so I think it will really help with the profit margin and simplify everything too. I might wait until after Christmas to make the switch, but it's coming.

I use the 12 oz salsa from SKS and use 8 oz of wax per jar. My 70/30 wax works real nice with one wick that burns just right in almost all my fos. True I had to buy $250.00 minimum for free shipping but with the look of how busy the season is starting off; I may have toput in another order soon. My problem is with everybody being out of stock on raw materials. I didn't start stockpiling soon enough. The advantage of the salsa is it provides a larger melt pool IMHO.

Steve

Edited by chuck_35550

Hi Steve! I typically don't order a huge amount myself, but I appreciate your thoughts on the jars. My customers would probably like the increased melt pool size. What do you charge for that size of candle? I use a blend as well...CBL-130 from Candlewic. I may have to try both and take a vote. I am hoping that I do not run out of anything myself. I am not good at stocking up...I only buy what I need to get by. I was thinking the wider top may offer less soot due to increased air circulation too.

Islandgirl-thanks for your input on CS...that is very important to me. Do they ship pretty quickly?