New to candle making and need some guidance.

I've been wanting to try candle making for quite some time now, and have finally decided to give it a go. I've bought some of the basic supplies but need some help on choosing the right wax to start with. I want to start out by making container candles using a mid sized jar, as well as the tart bars using the clamshells. I'm leaning towards either a soy wax, or possibly a blend of soy and paraffin. Any input is greatly appreciated. :cheesy2:

Hi Storm,

I'm relatively new to candle making too but I wanted to respond to something you've said. When I introduced myself to this forum, I was given the advice to start with votives. They may appear to be a stand alone candle but they're actually a container candle (using pillar wax) since they should be burned in a tight fitting container. They're a good place to start no matter what wax or type of candle you'd like to make. Also, in my reading of this forum (many hours), I think it's safe to say that a quality container candle is harder to produce than non-candlemakers think. Therefore, I would dare to say that you might want to think of votives as your first project and read lots of threads in this forum. Votives will give you a smaller project to learn to experiment with wick choice, placement, pour temps, cooling rates...it all makes a difference.

That said...read and "listen" to the advice from the experienced candlemakers here--and welcome!

Thank you for the suggestion Evergreen. I bought a kit the other day that has some molds for votives, and it came with a pound of paraffin wax and some wicks. It just didn't have any fo or dyes, so I wanted to order some to try out with it. I just thought since I eventually want to make some container candles and the wax tarts, if I could order everything at once it might save a little money on the shipping costs, versus doing multiple small orders. Then when I try the tarts and containers I'll already have the supplies to experiment with. I'd like some opinions on which waxes would be the best to start with. I know it'll be alot of trial and error, but at least it'll give me a jumping off point. Again, thank you for the input. I'm here to learn, and this forum has been a great resource, so happy i stumbled on it ... lol

I sympathize with you. I tried to order what I thought I would need in one or two orders but it didn't work out that way because the wicks weren't right for my wax. I started with a Candlewic kit which had fo's in it too and wick that would work with that wax. I ordered the wicks that I thought would work with some other types of wax I bought but they didn't work properly. If you're just starting out, don't try to do the bulk orders to save on shipping. It's not worth it if you make the wrong choices OR you change your mind. It seems you're not getting a lot of response to your post but that may be because others have asked the same question. The best thing to do is read those posts and then post follow up questions. If you go to Candle Science, you can get one ounce bottles of FO and some dye chips to suit your needs for now. They have great service.

Hi Storm, Welcome to the addiction!

I would totally recommend buying an all inclusive kit from a reputable supplier. Nature's Garden has a couple to choose from and they include everything you will need to try it out to see if you enjoy it. Here's the link to one of the kits they offer...

http://www.naturesgardencandles.com/candlemaking-soap-supplies/item/ckit-7/-Joy-Wax--Candle-Making-Kit.html

Most suppliers offer some type of kit to get you started. I have never made votives because I have no desire to. I only make container candles just because it is what I prefer. You can totally learn how to do it but my advice would be to start with only 1 container, not really large ( I started w/an 8 ounce jelly jar) and practice until you can get that container perfect. Once you feel you have a good product, then possibly add another container and start testing all over again. It's not as easy as I thought it would be when I decided to give it a try, but I've had fun figuring it all out! It can be done, it just takes alot of time adn money!!! And to think, I wanted to make candles to SAVE money! Hahahaha!! I could've bought a lifetime of Yankees by now!

I wanted to make candles to SAVE money! Hahahaha!! I could've bought a lifetime of Yankees by now!

Amen! I think that's how most of us got sucked up into the FO, wax & wick world :)

I would be much richer now if I hadn't taken that step into the abyss, but it's sure been an experience!