New to candlemaking

Hey everyone! My name is Rachel and I'm very new to candlemaking. I've been thinking about trying it out for a while now but finally bought a Yaley Soy Candle Kit from Michael's yesterday. I really enjoyed the process but I was very disappointed in the scent. It came with a Vanilla scent block so that is what I used, but the finished candle hardly has any smell at all. I also did a "dipped bear" with the same scent and still nothing. When I opened the scent block from the package it didn't have a scent. Is that normal? I followed the directions exactly so I'm wondering if the kit I bought was old and thats why the smell is hardly there?

I am not going to let the lack of scent discourage me! I am very excited to find this forum! I hope to be able to use it as a reference since I'm so new to this. :yay:

Welcome to the board! Yes..you have come to the right place. Best advice I could give you is to go to an online candle supply company and order a kit. Check out to see who has what...like Peaks, Candle Science, Natures Garden, Bittercreek, etc. There are a ton of high quality candlemaking products through those sites. Also, many have instructions on their sites. Also...this board is priceless. You can sit for hours (if you haven't done so already), and read, research and learn sooooo much. This bunch of guys and gals have years of experience and will help in so many ways. Oh...as for the little scent chips you got in that kit. I'm not surprised it didn't have scent or throw well. I have seen those before. When you visit the different candle supply companies, you'll notice hundreds of different fragrances available. Many are high quality, undiluted and perfect for highly scented candles and also wax for dipping bears. And if you're not sure about a wax or fragrance...just jump on the board here and ask. Everyone is happy to help. Again....welcome to the addiction!

Rachel, you'll enjoy this board. Yaley is a good way to get started. They set everything up for you and make it neat and clean and easy to do. Doesn't take long for folks to learn what you learned, though, that Yaley is just introductory level.

There is a wide variety of waxes, wicks, scents, and materials out there and just as many opinions on this board about them.

Enjoy, and welcome.