Anyone see this story

I was about to come post that, lol...

I suppose its good for those of us who make Soy, but thats not the way to get customers to buy our products. Pisses me off.

Then again, so does Martha teaching people "anyone can make a candle!" and the today show telling people to "put a wick in a teacup and pour in wax!"

idiots.

I just went to sign into my yahoo account and that's the main headline story coming up today. Golly gee...and I just got done testing my blend of soy and paraffin over the weekend...had candles in every room in the house. (lungs feel fine...lol) But you know what....do people REALLY care? I mean, have you all heard people say anything to you personally about soy and paraffin? Or do you think it's the media and/or misguided information from suppliers/manufacturers? And are they going to stop...especially this time of year....people are going to burn candles...just goes with the season.

Edited by lovemylabs

I really agree with you lovemylabs - I think it's the media and misguided information from suppliers and manufacturers, somebody that has nothing better to do and think this would be a good topic to hash and rehash!! I have not had anyone question me on the difference in wax or what was the best etc. I make both and very seldom have a request for soy candles.

Edited by grama

They forgot to mention burning wood in a fireplace or deep frying food.......that list could go on forever!

I have to say that I agree with the one about shoes.....my son's shoes clog up my lungs when he gets home from football practice with stinkiness!

I agree, its the same thing over and over how soy is the magical wax that emits rose petals when it burns!

I think not so long ago Top posted a link on here about a scientific study that was done on this subject and it stated that there was no difference in what was emitted from a burning candle regarless of which wax it was.

A ha...I found it....http://igiwax.com/uploads/candlearticles/07%20Okometric%20report.pdf

*dead horse*:2cents:

What gets on my nerves is the lack of data. How pollutant is it, say compared to living next to a busy road? Or say burning toast?

These so called harmfull chamicals... what concentrations are they in?

You can't just throw stupid statements around with nothing to back it up!!!:yay:

Speaking of paraffin bashing....

I was at a show a few months ago and I normally say hello to all the other vendors, you know how it is, usually a friendly bunch....

Well the other candle vendor does soy and I do paraffin, and he started telling me in no uncertain terms how my products pollute the air and cause cancer and that I use lead wicks that are harmful.... (hmmm, do not remember buying lead wicks, lol!!) ! ! ! :shocked2:

Wowza! I was just saying hello!

Well, I did feel much better when one of his family members (who came to the show with him) came over to my booth and told me my CT was much better and that she would love to purchase mine but that he would be mad!!:cheesy2:

Then... a family friend of his told me that she did not purchase his candles due to poor HT and major tunneling! And she and her boyfriend have been repeat clients!!:yay:

Muauaahahahahah!!!!

You can always put your spin on articles like these and distinguish your product.

"Why, yes, that's true, an improperly wicked candle or over fragranced candle can fill your room with soot and chemicals which is why we here at BS Candles make sure we properly wick our candles, test them with the finest of professional waxes and only include fragrance on the outside for that B**&) Slap effect that disappears quickly."

Or some such line.

This is old news. There have been more current findings (discussed in other threads) that indicate that the differences in terms of soot and other methyl-ethyl badsh*t compounds given off by burning fragranced soy wax candles, palm wax candles and paraffin candles are quite slim. All are hydrocarbon-based substances which emit carbon and a host of other compounds when burned. Where there's fire, there's smoke... :rolleyes2

Whether its the petrochemical industry touting the "purity" of paraffin or the soy wax industry touting its purity and inherent "greenness" brought to you by The American Farmer, the stench of marketing bullcrap is the same.

its not the"american farmer" pushing the green movement.
I did not say that. If you have read the volumes of marketing touted by soy wax candlemakers, distributors & manufacturers over the years since the wax was invented in the late 90s, you would have read the image of "The American Farmer" used and invoked over and over and over. It was part of the "hype" of the marketing used by many involved with soy wax candles (and still can be found on many, many sites).
the majority of soybeans are sent to processing plants who use the byproduct from making soy bean oil to make wax.

Au contraire, Pierre. Soy wax is NOT made from byproducts of oil production - it is super hydrogenated soybean oil - Crisco on steroids. You could eat it. It's NOT "slag wax." Read up.

Edited by Stella1952