TCS Container Wax / The Great Pumpkin FO

Shirlee

I decided to make a separate posting for this because it's actually been mentioned in part in a couple of postings & I thought it would be easier to follow by itself.

I made tarts on Sunday using the title wax & FO using 1 pound of the wax & adding 1 ounce of the FO. I followed the directions for the wax, heating to 180, mixing in the FO for a minute & then pouring it into the molds. I used newly purchased silicone molds from Flexible Molds which have an overpowering putrid fuel smell to them. The smell seemed to have settled down a bit but when I poured the wax into the molds it must've released more of it because the kitchen smelled horrible. The molds still have this horrible smell.

I cured the tarts in a big glass jar until today. I opened the jar fearing the worst but actually didn't smell any fuel. The tarts didn't really smell like pumpkin either but they didn't smell bad. The odor was kind of faint though.

I put one of the tarts into my tart burner to give it a try. At first I wasn't too sure what it smelled like ... certainly not pumpkin & certainly not the pumpkin spice type of smell I was hoping for. They were in the burner for about half an hour/45 minutes & I noticed my eyes were burning. I can't say there's a fuel smell exactly but it does smell weird & nothing like pumpkin.

I know it's not my burner. I have used tarts made by other people very recently & have had some given to me as gifts & they have been wonderful ... the fragrance of gingerbread or pound cake or pumpkin spice or holiday scents. I just don't get what's happening here.

I had hoped to make another batch of tarts before going into the hospital tomorrow but that's not going to happen & I don't know when I'll be able to try again. Hopefully soon ... but in the meantime I'd really like to know if anyone else is having this sort of problem with this particular scent? I know someone posted that they had a terrible fuel smell from what they think is the wax itself although others love the wax.

Please help!

Blessings,

Shirlee

Shirlee, I've never tried this particular FO. Tried other pumpkin scents and didn't have fuel smell; it's probably the molds?

I hardly ever use flexible molds; the flexible ones I have are made by Wilton and never caused any funky smells. Now I use the metal mini muffins pan. :smiley2:

The Great Pumpkin fo is more of a straight pumpkin scent. No spices really. At least to my nose. But I've never had a fuel smell from it either. But I've never been able to detect a fuel smell from fragrances and others can. Hope you get everything figured out soon