So now I feel like a criminal...

MissMori

I went to a somewhat local chemical supplier to purchase 100 pounds of NaOH today. I had to produce my business license and seller's permit. That wasn't enough. The owner came out of his office, gave me that up down, sizing you up glance before saying, "eh, you look familiar," with that, "you don't look too honest and why are you buying 100 pounds of lye" look reserved for drug dealers/manufacturers/addicts.

A whispered conversation over my "papers" ensued. They then asked for a phone number and actually called it. So my purse started to ring.

I need a shower and a new supplier for my NaOH.

• 2 weeks later...

The local hardware store where I buy my 1# containers of lye is located in a less than outstanding neighborhood here in Cleveland. They always ask me if I'd be interested in a case. No name or number requested either, so I guess the law isn't the same everywhere. Now if only there was a local source for potassium hydroxide. :(

I get my lye at the local hardware store, most of the guys who work there know who I am and what I need as soon as I walk in, but there's an older guy who waited on me last time who kept eyein' me like I was up to no good. It didn't help when I asked him if they carried potassium hydroxide, he was like "no, I don't even know what that is, what's that used for?" I told him liquid soap, and he said, "well, try the amish, they make their own soap" ...er yeah...ok... so do I... so I just nodded, said ok, and went on my merry way.