Fragrance in your home...

kssoaper

Not sure if this is the appropriate place for this question, but it is fragrance related :smiley2: For those of you who make your soap (candles) at home do you find the fragrance gets in everything - like your food? We currently make our soap "offsite" but are thinking about moving the business back home but I don't know if we can live with fragrance 24-7.... any thoughts/comments?

TIA,

Judy

I make my stuff at home and I have not noticed it getting into everything. I do notice that my clothes that I'm wearing that day will sometimes smell a little like the scents I poured, but that is it.

My friends comment that my house smells good or like the scent I made that day, but if I don't make anything that day (or I'm not testing something), they don't comment. I don't mention to them if I made something that day or not.

Sometimes I can smell the FO on my clothes that I wore that day and the only other thing is it does leave an aroma in the house after making candles. (just like if you were burning a candle) I make sure that the last ones I pour for the day/night is a scent I don't mind smelling for awhile. I make the ones I don't care for first then move onto the ones I like to smell.

We also usually get comments about the way the house smells, even if nothing is being tested.

My 15 yr old doughter always gets told at school that she smells nice...LOL, so I guess the scents do get into clothes and such.

I am sure people think me strange when I go to the supermarket after pouring smelling like whatever I have poured that day also.

I started making candles in my basement. although I poured with fans in the windows, the fragrance became overwhelming. I have a commercial building nowadays.

I would NEVER pour candles or soap in living quarters ever again. Pouring in my basement made everyone in the house sick, including my Dog!

The fragrance will get into your ventilation system. I bought the best filters on the market, and still, when the a/c or heat would kick on, you could smell the fragrance. I would never pour or store fragrance in my house.

I've had a workshop and poured candles in the house and yes, some fragrances will cling to my hair or clothes. But never with negative effects such as an illness/reaction etc.

Today I was pouring a tester and fed my 3 month old son afterward. When my 16 y/o daughter came home and snuggled him she said "mmmmmm, you smell like a glazed donut!" :laugh2::laugh2: apparently it also clung to his sleeper :cheesy2:

No problems for me either pouring candles or making CP soap at home. Have done so for years.

I have an 18 year old Green Wing Macaw Parrot that is also fine with it. I DO put him in a different room with the door closed when I pour but I am sure some fumes still get in there. Parrots are very sensitive to chemical fumes and will die in 2 minutes from the fumes released from a Teflon coated pan overheating and the fumes from some paints (even if they are in a different room). Have not had any respiratory issues with him (I work for my vet also) in 10 years of him being in the home with FO's.

My GS dog is out when I pour and no issues with him being around the fumes for the last 7 years (that is how old he is).

I have never had any fragrance in the food either and I pour in the kitchen.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone....I know if we have a loaf of bread here in the shop it will taste like soap after a couple days-- we even had some tortilla roll ups (whatever those flat flour things are!) in the fridge; took them home and YUK, tasted just like soap!

No problem here either. DH has learned the hard way though not to put his pretzels or cookies on the pouring counter, even for a second...bleck! they taste like FO real fast.

He also has to keep his hunting clothes offsite....he learned that the first year of soap/candlemaking...lol....wasn't too happy. No venison that year for us...lol.

I had a BIG problem. At first, it was like everyone said... got compliments all the time how my house smelled good, how I smelled good.

But when you work out of your kitchen (the same place you make food), it got to where our food was absorbing FO smells, no matter how immaculate or careful I was making things. I remember throwing a whole loaf of bread away because it tasted like Peppermint EO.

It finally go so bad in here, that we would feel sick all the time.

Headaches... nausea.... the smell became overwhelming and made us feel even more sick. I kept everything stored in the laundry room, but when the air or heater would kick on, it was like the smell would go EVERYWHERE.

It got to the point to where I was so sick all the time (and this might sound crazy, but sometimes the smells would "flare up" my ulcer, actually makes my stomach HURT, and to this day, if I stay too long in the shop, I start feeling sick), I had to buy a metal shop building to move everything in there, and start making things in there. Felt the difference the first week after everything was out of here, and we aired out the house.

I would NEVER make anything pertaining to B&B (or candles, but I don't do candles) in my house ever again. Never, never, never.

When it starts affecting your health, it's time to move it out!

Really, how bad is inhaling FO fumes? Last year, I was taken over by bees in my shop. They could smell the FO from outside, and somehow, got inside. (The FO fumes in my shop are strong.) Walked in there one morning... omg... bees everywhere. (I'm scared of bees!) I shut that door real quick, and an hour later, DH came home, I got him to go in there to get the bees out... he walks in... dead bees all over the floor, not one bee was alive. After an hour of being cooped up in the shop. ALL DEAD. I had a helluva time cleaning up in there after that one.

Just thought I would share my experience.

My cat, Einstein, smells nice.:thumbsup:

Seriously, though, I live in a small studio condo and just make candles when I get home from the office. A dozen pillars here have enough CT to be noticeable when walking by. There's no doubt that the condo takes on the scent when mixing and pouring. I even notice that sometimes the next evening after a heavy night of pouring, it smells nice just walking towards the front door.

Nobody has said anything about my clothes (neither have they said anything about BO).

I did notice one thing. The downstairs condo owner is a smoker and despite complaints, I have had resigned myself to wearing clothes that smelled like cigars. That is gone now.

Edited by EricofAZ

He also has to keep his hunting clothes offsite....he learned that the first year of soap/candlemaking...lol....wasn't too happy. No venison that year for us...lol.

:laugh2:My ex had to do the same thing!:laugh2: Then he asked if I could make a dirt smelling candle. Once I was banished to my own workshop he bought into a skull cleaning business and the maceration tank was about 30 yards from my building. Now THERE'S a permeating scent! :mad: Everytime he would come in after being in the bug building (we raised flesh eating dermestid beetles...yeah, gross!) he reaked of rotting flesh. If I complained he pointed out he would rather smell like that than a cookie. :laugh2: