Terrible Smell of Silicone Molds

Shirlee

I made some tarts on Sundy & made mention of the fact that there was a horrible stench after I made them. I was hoping it wasn't the FO but I'm thinking it was the new silicone molds I bought from Flexible Molds. They had a horrible fuel type smell when I took them out of the box. They sat around for a few days before I used them but I don't know ... maybe pouring the hot wax into them just released this terrible odor. My tarts are curing in a glass jar right now so I don't know if there's any problem with them but the molds are smelling something awful. Like I said, it's a terrible fuel smell. I have them sitting out to air & every time I walk by the odor just hits me. I purchased a total of 4 molds & used 2 of them.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? Do you know what it is? I've bought silicone molds from other sources before without this terrible odor.

Blessings,

Shirlee

I got some yellow molds recently (trying to remember where) and the smell was horrible when I opened the box. I put them in my basement and haven't touched them since. I will double check where they were from and see if the smell is better but I was worried also if it may affect the outcome of the product.

Funny I should read this today! I recently purchased one of their molds and today was the 1st time I had a chance to use it. I did notice the smell from the yellow mold when I unboxed a few weeks ago...hoped it would go away but my 1st set of soaps smelled just like it! Yuck! Please let us know what you find out...I will be calling them tomorrow!

I receivd a response from Ginger at Flexible Molds regarding the horrible smell of my molds.

"Sometimes the molds have an odor to them after being wrapped in the box for a few days. You can wash the molds out with hot water & dish soap to speed up the process. The smell does go away."

I'll give that a try although she didn't make mention of how long it takes for the smell to go away. rcotao08 mentioned she unboxed her molds from them "a few weeks ago" but they still smell bad.

The kitchen had a horrible stench of fuel when I made tarts on Sunday using these molds & TCS container wax & their The Great Pumpkin FO. I've had the tarts curing in a big glass jar since then & I just opened the jar & there doesn't seem to be a fuel smell anymore although I can't say the pumpkin fragrance is real strong. I just popped one in the tart burner & will let you know the outcome.

Blessings,

Shirlee