Blending soy with paraffin

Hello everyone/anyone- I am new to the forum and candlemaking and need some advice if anyone is willing to give it

Can anyone give me some input as to what type of paraffin to blend with GB 464? Or if it is even do-able or worth it?

I am so frustrated with the 464 straight- It is supposed to be the highest fragrance load/ hot throwing soy wax out there and its not working out for me!

I make alot of tarts with a 464/Eco PB blend and they are pretty good but my question is...will adding paraffin help make tarts AND candles throw stronger?

What confuses me is paraffin fragrance loads are so much lower than than the 464 but in reading alot on this forum people say their paraffin candles have wonderful throw:confused:

Should I buy a blend like the IGI 6006 or the IGI 4627 (comfort blend)claims to have a 12% fragrance like the 464 on the CS site. But then am I getting into second pours (which will mean more equipment) and wicking issues with blending the 4627 and 464? and I see most paraffin comes in slab form- that seems hard to deal with

Help- any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!:cry2:

Welcome to the Board. I would suggest you try a sample of 6006 and mix 85% 6006 with 15% 464. Heat to 190 and pour about 185 degrees into clean warm jars and then let cool openly away from drafts. Remember that 6006 is very picky about fo load. Start at 6% and try a cd wick. I have tried to blend the different waxes and they aren't good but this is a really good blend. You might try adding about a teaspoon of coconut oil per pound to improve adhesion. These will set up perfectly (slight dip around the wick) and then eventually begin to develop wet spots; especially after you begin burning. The blend colors well but is just fine without color IMHO.

Good luck. HTH.

Steve

i never thought about using that for tarts, probably too soft. I never could get a decent ht out of the 4627 or 4630 and settled on the 6006 overall. I started with the J waxes and zinc wicks and moved on when GL began selling the 70/30 blend. That's the same wax I use to this day. It is made by Clarus and is available at Tennessee Candle Supply as their TN70/30 (currently out of stock). I think you have to stop and think about using a 12% fo load as really expensive and unnecessary due to the quality fos available. I would buy a sample of these waxes and see what you think. I have most of these sitting in a corner in my shop gathering dust. It just comes down to sticking with a wax and learning all you need to know for the usual issues (bad batches, ect).

Yup - ditto :)

4630 works very well, and I've also blended using 4633 (J223)

What to do...I looked at both the 4630 and the J223(astrolite) on Candlescience and hard to decide-

Of the two- which would you suggest for someone that is new at blending and candlemaking? Also does it really help with the hot throw or does it more help with appearance and burn?

Thank you so much Brenda!:cheesy2:

Ditto on the 4633.

Thank you TallTayl-

Just to make sure I have the right correct product...the J223 Astrolite is what is considered the 4633? Name change somewhere down the line? Also for a starting point what ratio would you suggest I start at for blending with 464?

Thanks so much:cheesy2:

I do GB 464 and IGI 4630 for containers. GB 415 and IGI 4625 for tarts.

Hi Faerywren-

Thank you for your reply!:cheesy2:

Have you used 464 straight before? If so did you find that blending helped with the hot throw? If you dont mind my asking what type of wicks you use with this blend also? That will be a whole other issue if I start blending and I know I have a lot of testing ahead but a starting point would be much appreciated! I never worked with paraffin before and just started candles last January.

Thank you so much

Hi Faerywren-

Thank you for your reply!:cheesy2:

Have you used 464 straight before? If so did you find that blending helped with the hot throw? If you dont mind my asking what type of wicks you use with this blend also? That will be a whole other issue if I start blending and I know I have a lot of testing ahead but a starting point would be much appreciated! I never worked with paraffin before and just started candles last January.

Thank you so much

yes, I've done 464 straight and wasn't super pleased with the results. The weren't bad, but I was wondering if I could get better results KWIM?

I use CD wicks 8-12 depending on jar size. I've also got some zinc wicks but only tested on 2 FO's

Thank you TallTayl-

Just to make sure I have the right correct product...the J223 Astrolite is what is considered the 4633? Name change somewhere down the line? Also for a starting point what ratio would you suggest I start at for blending with 464?

Thanks so much:cheesy2:

Yes, 4633 is the new name, though I have also seen J223 out there (CS IIRC) making it a little confusing. i purchased mine through Lone Star which lists both names.

For blending, I started with 75:25 (75% 464:25% 4633) The ECO and CD wicks seem to work the best for my conditions.

• 10 years later...

Hi I am new to making candles in a silicon mould (figure candles). I have the annoyance of my candles sweating. I’m currently using soy wax but was told to add some paraffin to help with this (also less frosting) does this work? Can I use a muxture of soy and paraffin wax in silicon moulds? If so where do people get theirs from because Amazon I’ve found isn’t the best. Any help would be greatly appreciated! X