First Wholesale Order!!!

jonsie

Wow! I didn't expect it to happen today either. Or with that particular shop. There is a new business right around the corner from me so I walked in to check it out. They are still getting settled in so I asked them if they are interested in carrying any hand-poured candles, and they said they were. I went home, got some samples, brought them back, and they gave me a dollar amount and told me to fill it with whatever size and scent selection, lol. It was all so casual, I still can't believe it!

This should be an interesting Christmas!

Susan

Well done. Its great whe it happens like that. One of the shops we supply just tells me that she needs more stock. She doesnt really care what scents as long as there is plenty of Rose and Lavender, the rest is totally up to me :)

Thank you Richard, it all happened so much easier than I had expected. I didn't even have business cards yet. I've been so focused on my website lately I've ignored everything else. Housekeeping, laundry, some personal hygiene... :laugh2:

Awesome! I had one of those casual wholesale things happen to me too, in a store I was in for another reason, and never would have even thought about approaching. A great feeling! Know what you mean about neglecting other aspects....I honestly can't remember the last time I dusted....:confused:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I hate to admit this, but the wholesale order fell through :(

The store owners admitted they didn't quite know what direction they wanted their store to go into. It is a new store and I would have to agree they had an eclectic collection of goods and they could use some focus. However, I can't help but believe my candles would have fit in nicely just about anywhere ;)

Anyway, my good friend reminded me how I had been saying I didn't want to do wholesale yet because I wanted to enjoy myself with this, and not make it a job. And my good sense tries to remind me that is what I want. But then to be rejected makes me want what I can't have! :laugh2:

Anyway, easy come, easy go!

Sorry that happened to you. I've had similar experiences with a shop that made an order then called me the next day to delay it until next month, then the next month she was too sick, yada, yada, yada...

Don't worry. It will give you time to get your website in order and organize a marketing plan.

awww, bummer :( Keep enjoying what you do and who knows, maybe they will change their mind and you will be wanting to do wholesale by then.

I know what you mean though, I used to say I didn't want to wholesale, but once I started doing it I really enjoyed the relationship I had with my wholesale clients.

Such is life I guess. Easy come easy go. When it is meant to be it will be. Was the store in Subi or somewhere else, just out of interest.

I emaile a few places over the past two weeks with a brochure and a bit about us, heard back from a couple, but no bites unfortunately, however one of the responses I found quite strange and amusing at the same time.

"Thank you for your email but at this stage we are not interested. Good luck with your plans and we may re visit this as you grow larger."

I guess they prefer that awesome made factory product that can be supplied readily with no fisk of non supply. Lets not consider the fact that ours are hand-made, contain what is stated and actually cheaper wholesale than the Ecoya range that they currently stock. I guess it wasnt meant to be either.

Good luck with it and I am sure you will score an account soon enough. If you are looking for something smallish to begin with, you could try contacting "First Avenue" in the Centro shopping centre in Kalamunda. They have some candles in there as well as a bunch of country type stuff, and they also have a second shop in the same centre selling kitchen wares. Might be worth a shot. By the time we had our product sorted we were just about to move back to NSW so we didnt bother.

if you go up there, go for dinner at the Blue Ox Steakhouse in Kalamunda as well. A little know restaurant, but awesome one with very reasonable prices by Perth standards. as well as that my eldest daughter is a waitress there :)

Don't worry. It will give you time to get your website in order and organize a marketing plan.
Thanks Candybee! It has let me give more attention to the things that needed it.
I know what you mean though, I used to say I didn't want to wholesale, but once I started doing it I really enjoyed the relationship I had with my wholesale clients.
Gucci, I actually look forward to those relationships. I enjoy the customer service side of doing business. I'm just conflicted over how much obligation I want to take on. I think once my daughter is in school five days a week starting in February, I'll be in a much better position to pursue and make these commitments.
Was the store in Subi or somewhere else, just out of interest.
Yup, within walking distance of my house. I'll PM you the details.
I emaile a few places over the past two weeks with a brochure and a bit about us, heard back from a couple, but no bites unfortunately, however one of the responses I found quite strange and amusing at the same time.

"Thank you for your email but at this stage we are not interested. Good luck with your plans and we may re visit this as you grow larger."

I guess they prefer that awesome made factory product that can be supplied readily with no fisk of non supply. Lets not consider the fact that ours are hand-made, contain what is stated and actually cheaper wholesale than the Ecoya range that they currently stock. I guess it wasnt meant to be either.

I'd be interested to know what Ecoya charges for wholesale. Ecoya is everywhere here and we are both using the same glassware.
Good luck with it and I am sure you will score an account soon enough. If you are looking for something smallish to begin with, you could try contacting "First Avenue" in the Centro shopping centre in Kalamunda. They have some candles in there as well as a bunch of country type stuff, and they also have a second shop in the same centre selling kitchen wares. Might be worth a shot. By the time we had our product sorted we were just about to move back to NSW so we didnt bother.

if you go up there, go for dinner at the Blue Ox Steakhouse in Kalamunda as well. A little know restaurant, but awesome one with very reasonable prices by Perth standards. as well as that my eldest daughter is a waitress there :)

Thanks for the suggestions, I just may look into it. And thanks for the restaurant recommendation, we may go just to get the steak!