New to forum

tonyjazz

Hello, my name is Tony. I've been smitten with the candle bug. Want to create seascapes with gel candles. I've painted lots of acrylics seascapes on canvas and want to try my hand at making aquariums, seascapes with gel candles. I want to create the wave effect on water. Any information would be grateful. I've perused the sponsors and found a lot of great information. One question I have is: Can I make a small aquarium ( 4"x8" ) of glass to use as the vessel for the candle? Would it be safe? Can I find that kind of container from some company? Thanks..

Tony,

Welcome to the forum. As for the second part of your question about whether something like a 4" x 8" vessel is available, I don't know. Some of us find our vessels in a variety of places. I haven't looked for anything like that, so I don't know if one exists. Now, as for making one, that probably can be done, you just have to take a few things into consideration. Obviously, you have to make sure it is "water" tight. The second criteria, and just as important as the first one, is whether what you use for an adhesive can handle the temperature that the gel will subject it to when filling the vessel itself with the gel. Since you mention aquariums, I believe an aquarium adhesive would work, and handle the temperature that you would encounter. http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?BrandID=67&SubcatID=27 is an aquarium adhesive from DAP that states that it will handle temperatures up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. That gives you plenty of leeway temperature wise. I think it dries clear, so it should also look good.

Hope that helps.

SteveG

Edited by JAVAEBOY
Changed wording of making to filling