TCS Container Wax/FO Ratio

Shirlee

I finally decided that this is the morning to try this wax I've heard so much about. I dug all my supplies ... melting pot, etc ... out of the cupboard but can't find my tart instructions! Can't find a tart tutorial here either.

How much of this wax do I melt for a typical batch of tarts & how much FO do I add? I was going to go ahead with 1 pound of wax & add 1 ounce of FO but I'm just guessing here. Don't want to waste the wax & the FO so decided to ask for help before getting started.

Hope to hear from someone soon! I'll go do my dishes in the meantime : )

Blessings,

Shirlee

My impatience got the best of me & so after doing some research it appeared that 1 ounce of liquid = 1/8 cup. I happened to have a plastic 1/8 cup in my measuring cup set & used it, acknowledging the fact that I would never be able to use it for cooking again.

I melted 1 pound of TCS container wax, added some colorant, & as the directions for that wax indicate, I stopped heating it at 180 degrees & added my FO. I used TCS's The Great Pumpkin. I blended it in with the wax for a minute per their directions, tested the temperature again which was now 170 degrees & figured it was a good time to pour.

I'm a bit concerned about the putrid stench emitting from my kitchen. I sort of expected a spicy pumpkin pie scent but that's certainly not what I'm getting right now. Is it because I just finished making a 1 pound batch of tarts & so it's all a bit overwhelming now (& not in a good way) ... or did I pour it too soon (would that even make any difference?) ... or is there some other problem here?

Sigh!

Shirlee

Shirlee...Oh... I hope that smell has left your kitchen by now. I got a one ounce tester of The Great Pumpkin but I have not poured it yet so I don't have any comparison to share with you. I add my fragrance and stir for two minutes even though the directions say one minute (just something I've always done since I started making candles) and pour immediately after so I think you are fine with what you are doing. This time I added 20% EL Mil. soy to my TCS container blend and it sure helped with the dimples, I may try adding 25% next batch, we'll see how this affects my hot and cold throw. My granddaughter and I made a batch of 14 different fragrances yesterday, can't wait for them to cure. I used some TCS fragrances and some AH.

I made some that were straight TCS container blend last week. I have melted TCS Black Raspberry Vanilla and that was beautiful with a great hot throw. I also melted TCS Heaveny and that was so... beautiful. It was more of a medium throw but I loved it. I have others that I made but have not tested yet. I am not a real floral person and I have a tester that is so I am sending them to her in the mail tomorrow for her to test. Oh... just remembered I need to test TCS Fantasy. The cold throw is very soft so we will see how the hot throw is. I will let you all know later.

Sharon Kay

Sharon Kay ...

I'll be interested to know what sort of results you get with The Great Pumpkin. It's too early to tell but I wonder if the odor had anything to do with the new molds I bought? I used some rubbery molds from Flexible Molds & they had a pretty bad odor to them when I took them out of the box a couple days ago. I let them sit on the counter all this time but they still have that bad odor to them.

:confused:

Thanks for the tip about blending in the FO for 2 minutes instead of 1. I will do that next time.

Blessings,

Shirlee

Sharon Kay ...

The molds I'm using were purchased from Flexible Molds. They are silicone I think ... very thick & heavy. The tarts popped out easily & I put them into a big glass jar with a screw-on lid to cure for 3 days. I hope they won't be a total loss :sad2:

My surgery is either this Friday or next Thursday depending on which surgeon I choose. I guess I should explain a bit. I am about 7 years post menopause & 2 years ago had a bleeding incident. I lived in TN at the time & my gyn did a bunch of tests & then performed an ablation. I had to get pelvic ultrasounds every 3 months after that & they were always fine. She said if I ever started bleeding again that I should get a hysterectomy. I started again in early September. After 2 weeks I saw a gyn here who had me get a pelvic ultrasound & when I went for my followup he said it didn't "look good" & I definitely need a hysterectomy. He referred me to a gynecologic oncologist because there might be lymph node involvement :sad2: Unfortunately when I saw the gyn onc, he said he wouldn't know if there are any malignancies until he "gets in there." Absolutely everything has to come out. My surgery is set for November 4. However, he mentioned that I might be a candidate for robotic surgery & asked if I'd like to talk with someone about that. At first I said no, but then I came home & was doing a lot of research about it & decided to talk with someone. I am going to see a robotic surgeon tomorrow. The robotic surgery is already scheduled for this coming Friday :shocked2: Whichever surgery I decide upon, the other will be canceled. I'm more than a bit nervous about all this but it has to be done. I'll post when the surgery date is set.

Looking forward to hearing how The Great Pumpkin works for you!

Blessings,

Shirlee

I'm really confused. Are we talking Tennessee Candle Supply? Are you referring to their paraffin container wax? TN125? Do we have some comparisons at this point between the KY, the CS and the TCS? I need to try out some wax and would like to start with one that generally gets good reviews. It seemed like KY was the bomb but now its a bomb?

Thanks,

Steve

I melted some of TCS wax yesterday and poured 4 of the sample FO's I bought from them: Heavenly, Candy Cane, Candy Corn, & Twilight plus a KY scent that I love Creme Brulee and I am VERY disappointed!! ALL and I mean ALL of these have a horrible fuel smell! It must be the wax first then the FO's.

OOB most all of the scents I bought from TCS have a funky smell, so that was why I tried a scent I knew smelled great in the KY wax and it just smells terrible in this wax. I was really excited to try this wax too! I should have just bought 1 slab cause now I have 2 1/2 slabs left that I don't want, plus 45 one oz FO's, Dang!

I just started using this wax and I have had awesome results! Never a fuel smell or anything with an awesome throw. A good friend of mine has used Candlesource wax and fo's for years w/o a problem. I've had lots of her candles and melts and they always smell great. I just got a slab of wax a few weeks ago and it was fine. Maybe there was a bad batch of wax or something? I just ordered another slab yesterday. The melts I made a few weeks ago were with Just Scent fo's. I did order a few samples of fragrance too so I will see if they smell weird. The older scents I have from Candlesource smell fine.

Makenna, I just bought a whole case of TCS wax, but would be interested to get half a slab from Cdesousa5 just to see if perhaps she got a bad batch.

Like your friend, I'se used this wax for quite some time, always had great results with the majority of FOs. Some FOs just did not throw well for me at all.... Pomegranate comes to mind :sad2: , but they're definately an exception.

Cdesousa5, I'd call Loren and explain what bad experience you'd had with the wax; he may want a sample back to test for himself; he's very helpful. Keep us posted :)

Makenna, I just bought a whole case of TCS wax, but would be interested to get half a slab from Cdesousa5 just to see if perhaps she got a bad batch.

Like your friend, I'se used this wax for quite some time, always had great results with the majority of FOs. Some FOs just did not throw well for me at all.... Pomegranate comes to mind :sad2: , but they're definately an exception.

Cdesousa5, I'd call Loren and explain what bad experience you'd had with the wax; he may want a sample back to test for himself; he's very helpful. Keep us posted :)

Makenna Raven is right! I just started with this wax and so far I love it! Was about to give up on making candles and it was the wax and some of the things I was doing. Loren was wonderful and help me a lot. Also everyone on this forum are so helpful too! Give Loren a chance to make it right because he would want to know if you have a problem. Good luck!:smiley2:

I did call and they just said they never have a problem. It may just be me, but when I use KY wax and pour a scent it smells just smooth & silky and with this wax it has a chemical smell to it. I'll try it with a couple of other FO's and see if it might be the FO. Another thing I notice is that it really sticks to the portion cups and it is very difficult to get out, which I figure is because this is a container wax.

I might just try making my own blend, we'll see.

If it works for you all that is great, I'm just not that impressed.

Yeah it does stick to the portion cups more than other wax I've used. But I figured it was because it's a container blend too. I've just been pressing on the sides of the cups to loosen it a bit and then popping out from the bottom. My friend uses the oval cups and her's are a lot easier to get out. I've just got the round black ones. Hope you have better luck on your next try!

Makenna, I use the round 2oz. black portion cups. No problem so far releasing this wax from them. I just pry a little around the top edge, push the bottom and out it pops without leaving bits of wax inside the cup.

Cdesousa5, I'd ask Loren if you could send a piece of the wax back to him so he can test it for himself. Hopefully it's just that particular FO that's giving you trouble; keep us posted.:)