aroma beads not soaking up oil

EnvyCandles

OK so I used 1 part FO to 4 parts aroma beads, have had them in sealed glass jar for about 10 hours... shaken, rolled... it does not seem that they are soaking up anything! what am I doing wrong?

:confused:

no dye, but the FO is yellow- ish and I can see it just sitting in the bottom, the beads have not taken on any color at all.

Help please...!

I'm testing the beads as well too. I tested 3 scents so far and all of them take at least 1 day to soak up the oil. I don't know where you got your beads, but one of the places I was looking at said that if it takes more than 1 week, then to add more beads. So give the jar a few shakes every time you walk by until all the oil is soaked up.

I'm not 100% sure since I have not tested a dye free FO that is yellow, but I don't think that will make the beads turn yellow. It may, but I'm not sure.

I have 4 different scents going and one of the scents soaked up rather fast while 2 took a few days and the last is just now getting where its not oily, different scents mean different results, and yes I have 2 that are the yellowish color, the FO as its soaked in turns them yellow. Patience and keep shaking lol actually I sometimes forget about mine so they dont get shaken alot

We just made up several batches a couple of weeks ago 4 part beads to 1 part oil. And for some of the oils it did take longer. Some we had to add more beads to. Some oils are just finicky and take a little longer. We have ours stored in large 32 ounce jars and we do the whole "shake, rattle and roll" too...and sometimes it just takes longer. I need patience with these too. Can I ask where you get your beads. We got ours from Cajun Candle.

Patience.... yeah not so much here. That's why I don't think I could ever make CP soaps. HAHA I would want to use them the minute they came out of the mold! but yeah, the hardest part with the beads is the patience! I think i got my beads from wsp.. Either there or NG? Can't remember.

• 3 years later...

Hi,I am doing enchanted lite(soy) for soy dots and like candles some scents takes really well some not so much.I did blackberry sage ,it took a month to soak up the scent to dry stage.one ounce of the end product scented my high ceiling home for 1 day super strong -1 day medium scent-1 day soft scented.I did test different % till I got what I was looking for.

Guest OldGlory

It's been years since I've made aroma beads, but I remember someone mentioning on another board that putting the jar of beads and FO in a warm/hot place and it accelerated the process. Maybe you can put them on top of the dryer when it's running or in a sunny window or on top of the stove when you have something in the oven...?

I have done the dryer - eh. The top of stove - hard to regulate and they tend to get too hot and melt. The window sill works great but don't forget them or you get a solid sheet of them around the inside of the jar and it's a real pain. That said, the best method I have used is a horizontal electric space heater that I have in my office. I set a wire shelving unit about a foot away from it and put the beads up on the highest shelves. That keeps them from overheating and yet they get enough to speed the absorbing up a bit. Then I just shake and move the jars from shelf to shelf for a couple days.

Hi,I am doing enchanted lite(soy) for soy dots and like candles some scents takes really well some not so much.I did blackberry sage ,it took a month to soak up the scent to dry stage.one ounce of the end product scented my high ceiling home for 1 day super strong -1 day medium scent-1 day soft scented.I did test different % till I got what I was looking for.

Thanks country bee I appreciate the response..sorry to the OP..I really don't mean to hi jack your post. :) This helped me alot.

• 3 months later...

I have read some of the post here and the only response I didn't see was to be sure the FO you are using is suitable for the aroma beads.  Not all FO's can be used with aroma beads.

I have found a vanilla FO not suitable.  I saw it wasn't abosrbing properly, so I added more beads.  Still the beads weren't drying, but as an experiment I made them into air fresheners anyway.  The results were interesting.  They ended up smelling nice, but they took on a mosiac look or tiled appearance.  Looked like they had white grout between different shapes of tile.  I use them at home.  I hang them in my screened windows in the kitchen and they smell awesome while doing dishes.

• 1 month later...

I've used vanilla in aroma beads and it does soak up- probably depends on the oil. (mixed it with leather for a car freshener)   I've had good luck with most of the oils I've used- not all are strong, but most will soak in. 

• 7 years later...

I just started making car freshies.  The aroma beads have dried and i put them in the oven at 350 for about 7 minutes.  When they come out, all the color is gone.  I put the liquid dye in after the oil and wait for it to dry.  I made some yesterday when they came out they were white again.  I keep loosing my color.  What am i doing wrong?  Thanks for the help

Connie

11 hours ago, Connie Birchmeier said:

I just started making car freshies.  The aroma beads have dried and i put them in the oven at 350 for about 7 minutes.  When they come out, all the color is gone.  I put the liquid dye in after the oil and wait for it to dry.  I made some yesterday when they came out they were white again.  I keep loosing my color.  What am i doing wrong?  Thanks for the help

Connie

I make aroma bead fresheners and I use liquid dye and have never had that happen. Are you using liquid candle dye? I use that or mica. If you're using candle dye where did you purchase it? I get mine from Lone Star, Rustic Escentuals, or Flaming. You can't use soap dye or food coloring though.