Almond oil scrub (perfect mix!)

dkennedy62

I've been working a while to perfect my scrub, and notice it always has about a half inch of oil at the top after a few days. This one, so far, does not.

1 C. Sugar

1 Tsp. Glycerine

1 Tsp. Stearic Acid

1/4 C. Almond Oil

1 Tbsp Cocoa Butter (grated)

30 Drops Watermelon EO (whatever you prefer, I like my scrub to smell strong)

Mix all ingredients on low in a double boiler (except sugar) When melted, the oil will appear to be a bit grainy. Add to sugar in a small food processor. Voila! The perfect scrub. :)

• 1 month later...
:bump:Bumping to see if anyone has experimented with this yet and what they think.

I made this the other day. I usually make my scrubs with a cream soap base so this one is oily in comparison. It is much nicer than the straight sugar & oil scrubs as it doesn't have the oil slick on top. Great for very dry skin. I gave my sister some to try as during the winter months her skin is soooo very dry.

This one has potential and I am tempted to tweak my existing scrub to see if I can perfect my own recipe!

• 1 month later...

That's not an essential oil. The link you kindly provided states that

"Its viscosity, mild aroma and indefinite shelf life make it a good all-purpose carrier oil for use in aromatherapy."

http://aromatherapy.vinensia.com/2008/11/what-is-different-between-essential-oil.html

The OP stated she used "Watermelon EO" not watermelon seed oil. If I am reading her recipe right, she used the "EO" to scent her scrub, stating she likes a "strong" smelling scrub. There are relatively few EOs as compared to FOs. I am afraid she was duped into thinking there is such a thing as watermelon EO. Just wondering...

Edited by Stella1952

So essential oils can't be carrier oils? Hmmm ...

Sorry if I've confused anyone else as much as I've been able to confuse myself. Guess that's why I still have only a candle under my name. I'll just stick with FOs.

Edited by Judy, USMC

• 2 months later...

Watermelon Seed Oil isn't actually an 'essential oil' as such and doesn't carry a 'watermelon' fragrance. It's a vegetable carrier/emollient oil and very nourishing for all skin types. As the spec says, the aroma is "Faint. Slightly Nutty".

• 4 weeks later...

This recipe sounds great. I'm a wax tart maker so I know nothing about B&B but would like to try this. I think this would be great for Mother's Day gifts. What does Stearic Acid do or what is its purpose? Also, if I want this to rinse off clean without an oil residue, what would I add? Polysorbate something? Finally, even though this does not have water, using it in the shower could lead to some water splashing in it. Again, maybe I'm wrong, but I thought if there is water in anything (even accidentally which is very possible in this case) it has to have a preservative in it? Or is it an anti-bacterial?

• 3 months later...

I made some salt scrub a couple of weeks ago and having to mix it every time before using is a pain. I have decided I will put any scrup I make from now on into a bottle with a large squart lid. Shake and squeeze. This one sounds nice, I'm using Chanel #5, yummm. Now for a bottle, my shampoo has too large a hole and I always get to much. Almost done with it so a scrub is in the near future for that bottle...