By how much can I increase FO when using Stearic Acid?

Hello Everyone...

I purchased some stearic acid because I read here that it can increase the load of fragrance oil that a candle can retain. Without the stearic acid, the candle's hot throw is good but I want a killer throw when hot. The kind that makes your nose burn =) It's just a personal preference I suppose but, I really would like to make them even stronger if possible....So, my questions are 1) How much stearic acid should I add per pound and 2) By how much can I increase the FO?

This is what I'm using:

Wax: 464

Fragrance Oil: Peach (Candle Science)

Fragrance Oil Amount: 12% (2 oz/lb) (This is the max fragrance listed on the CS website)

Additives: 1 teaspoon Coconut Oil

Wick: ECO 14

Container: 8 oz aluminum tin

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks,

Rachel

Edited by Aralins's Mommy

I'm sure others will chime in ...

In my opinion, increasing the amount of FO does not necessarily improve the intensity of the scent throw. Finding a good oil that works well in your wax is the most critical when you are just starting out. That's why testing is so important. 12% is a heavy load ... so if it's not throwing well at 12% it won't throw any better at 15%. In fact some fragrances at that high a load can morph into something really obnoxious; like lemon turning into a fuel smell. Berries have been reputed to be strong throwers.

Just went to the review on the CS site about the Peach: "Beautiful, light, and fresh." " Medium-strong hot throw." Although it does have a 3-leaf rating some oils have naturally light notes and (to me) peach is light. Consider starting with a berry-type or a black cherry ... they can be strong.

Maybe some 464 users will add their experiences.

Edited by Judy, USMC
added CS info

Thanks Judy...

I have a feeling that this might be impossible as well...But a girl can hope...I made some paraffin candles that with almost no effort had the mooooost awesome hot throw. But, for so many reasons I totally prefer soy. I'm hoping that I can replicate that. Paraffin is not an option for me. I guess I might be chasing the impossible. Will have to wait and see. :meditate:

Personally I found that adding steric actually decreased my HT in 464. I test & test & test & then test some more and if I cant get a good throw at 6% the oil gets relegated to the discontinued scents list.

Way too much time and effort being put into making a great candle, so I would like to ensure that I get a suitable reward when it comes to selling it. Considering that the FO is probably the most costly ingredient of any candle for us going past 6% is really not an option.

I even have a couple of oils that throw so well I have cut them to 5%.

JMHO :)

I would spend more time researching really strong - full bodied FO before I would add more FO to my wax or any more additives. Like Judy said there are fragrances out there that will burn your nose hairs at 1oz per lb - which like Richard says makes sense economically - the point is to make a profit correct? I shudder when I hear of crafters/chandlers using 2 oz of oil in a wax because I have never seen an instance where it was worth it throw wise and it really affects your bottom line, and for what? Never heard of adding stearic to soy - Paraffin yes, maybe I missed something, but I would think it could bind scent in too high of levels and will increase the hardness of your soy causing some wicking issues?

I use cs's peach at 7.5% in soy(85%) para blend and the throw is great both hot and cold.

Did you let the candle cure a few days before burning? It seem like you may want to try a larger container.

An 8oz tin can only do so much. The bigger the melt pool the stronger the throw.