Someone explain the dipped critters to me

topofmurrayhill

Well....don't get me wrong....I am not saying that I won't ever dip a bear.......the more I see on this board and realize how popular they are....I have been wondering.....I'll bet I could sell a bunch at the mall. I'm thinking that poodles, labs, cocker spaniels....oh and cats....really .....the list is endless, isn't it?......Guess I will have to search the board and see how all of you do this. Not for this year, but next year ....it is a nice alternative to burning a candle if you are using it for decoration and scent throw. I am game to try new things.....Donita

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not everyone is going to have the same taste. These types of things are perfect for lots of people.
Yes, but think of the poor bears! Dipping them in hot wax, injecting them with stuff. You people are heartless.

Anyway I wasn't suggesting that anyone would try to light one, duh. I was just wondering if it isn't a fire hazard. Just one huge wax-soaked wick. I'm imagining how quickly that would go up in flames if it caught.

Yes, but think of the poor bears! Dipping them in hot wax, injecting them with stuff. You people are heartless.

Anyway I wasn't suggesting that anyone would try to light one, duh. I was just wondering if it isn't a fire hazard. Just one huge wax-soaked wick. I'm imagining how quickly that would go up in flames if it caught.

Well who ever made the stuffed bears should be called heartless too. Those cruel manufacturers (ugh @ sp) I mean they are sewn together at the seams. Ouch needles :P Eyes and nose are glued on or sewn on. And the ones with the lil hats or clothings OMG poking those "poor bears" in the head and tummies.

If only they were real , ah but they are stuffed. ;)

Might burn bigger, but I doubt it would catch fire faster than a billowy set of drapes. I would hope people are smart enough to keep them away from flames, just like anything else that catch fire...

Ya know, I bought bears several months ago with the intention of dipping them for the holiday season.

So what's stopping me? Top.

He's putting a major guilt trip on me! I just can't bring myself to do it.

For crying out loud, they are stuffed animals! What is wrong with me!

Everytime I decide, and pick a day to do it...Top pops into my head.

Well, it's Christmas Time. I have a feeling that these babies will end up in the Salvation Army, or Toys for Tots bin.

Damn it, Top! ;)

Well give all the motor nerves, neurons and the like in these stuffed bears, just let 'em know it'll only hurt for a minute, or you'll feel a little sting. :rolleyes2

You have just inspired me to take the last of my bears to the dipping vat of HOT wax!!! Mmmhhhhhhwwwaahhhhaaaahhhaaa

I tried posting on this thread yesterday but my damned computer was being a brat and wouldn't let me, so here's my take, 24 hours later!

I don't see the big deal either, but I DO think they're cute. I know I won't offer them in my line, but both my sister and my niece who are mothers have asked me to do at least one for their baby's rooms. Of course, it's family, so what the hell...

If anything, it gives me experience, I can say for certain 'okay, I've done waxed critters.........NEXT!'

Ya know, I bought bears several months ago with the intention of dipping them for the holiday season.

So what's stopping me? Top.

He's putting a major guilt trip on me! I just can't bring myself to do it.

Fern-Marie and I will be founding a new organization called PETSA, People for the Ethical Treatment of Stuffed Animals.

I have never been up "close and personal" to a wax dipped critter, and to be honest, deep down, I always thought that it was probably a "stretch" that the things had much of a throw at all. It just didn't seem all that logical to me. Not sure if anyone else that makes candles has this issue, but I have noticed with my container candles that the ones with the lids maintain their cold throw MUCH better than the ones without lids that are exposed to the air/elements. I just assumed since the bears were displayed out in the open air that after a few days of being out of their bags, the scent would dissipate and not have much throw to speak of.

Thanks to all you "critter abusers" out there for enlightening me. I am fairly surprised that they are that good.

I have never been up "close and personal" to a wax dipped critter, and to be honest, deep down, I always thought that it was probably a "stretch" that the things had much of a throw at all. It just didn't seem all that logical to me. Not sure if anyone else that makes candles has this issue, but I have noticed with my container candles that the ones with the lids maintain their cold throw MUCH better than the ones without lids that are exposed to the air/elements. I just assumed since the bears were displayed out in the open air that after a few days of being out of their bags, the scent would dissipate and not have much throw to speak of.

Thanks to all you "critter abusers" out there for enlightening me. I am fairly surprised that they are that good.

If you think about it, it does make a certain amount of logical sense that they would throw pretty good. A container candle only has one small flat surface for the scent to emit from. Bears are not only much larger and have and enormous "surface" area compared to a container candle. Also many have the long fur, whcih increases the surface are even more. Though I hadn't really thought about why the scent is so strong until you brought it up.

Well who ever made the stuffed bears should be called heartless too. Those cruel manufacturers (ugh @ sp) I mean they are sewn together at the seams. Ouch needles :P Eyes and nose are glued on or sewn on. And the ones with the lil hats or clothings OMG poking those "poor bears" in the head and tummies.

If only they were real , ah but they are stuffed. ;)

You can join if you provide us with footage of shrieking thrashing teddy bears for our propaganda videos. Dip them slowly.

Man, you guys are killing me.........:shocked2::D

I made a Goldilocks doll for my granddaughter.....should we use her for the film too....Would really make a statement then. Are you going to distribute the film, Top?.......Who gets the money.....do we have a non profit fund set up?

post-248-139458387591_thumb.jpg

Are all you ladies to young to remember pet rocks? Let me tell ya....I had to have one! I think it is all how you market it. If it is cute and smells good....hey, make it and sell it. All I can say is.....Thanks, Topofmurryhill for voicing the question. I too was wondering.....once I found out that my pet rock couldn't do tricks I was jaded for life. Julie

Now we've gone and done it. I heard some strange noise outside and found my Teddy trying to escape. He thought I wouldn't see him sitting in the tree. I assured him that he won't get dipped........he is way too old for that game....I brought him in next to the fire to warm up.

Can you tell that I am bored? Waiting for wax to melt and wax to cool. Donita

post-248-139458387599_thumb.jpg