Someone explain the dipped critters to me

topofmurrayhill

OK, just for the record, I am ready to take a pounding for this but I have kept my mouth (mostly) shut for long enough.

Would someone explain to me what exactly is NOT stupid about dipping a teddy bear in melted scented wax? Teddy bears are nice children's toys. One of my most moving childhood memories involves a teddy bear. Why anybody would want a waxy FO-infused one is beyond me. Surely there are better home fragrancing solutions.

I also have to wonder, has anybody tried to LIGHT one of these? I'll bet they burn just great! After all, it's one big-ass wick isn't it? Sounds like a product liability suit waiting to happen.

There, I said it.

:tiptoe:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL Ya know, I had no clue what all the fuss about the teddy bears were. I just got into them this weekend .. I am still wondering myself. I was dipping the teddy bears and feeling guilty LOL

I guess they are great for mothers with small children that may not want to have a burning candle nearby..

I am sure someone else can shed light for ya

Christina

Personally, I don't see the point in them either. I do understand why others like them. I know soooo many women that love stuffed animals and display them in thier homes, offices, etc. It is just cute! It is decorative. it smells good and that is like a bonus! Lots of people have an animal or something that they like. I personally like butterflies. My bathroom is done with a butterfly motif. Others like dolphins, or tigers, cows, etc. Some like bears. Bears are cute because you can dress them up to match almost any theme. I really think that is just a trend that will soon pass!

Well simple. There's a massive group of people out there who collect bears and even waxed dipped or infused bears. A waxed dipped bear has the potential to keep a room fragranced for 6 months to a year. An infused bear has the potential to keep a room scented at least 6 months and sometimes longer. Once you get over crying from the first dipped bear, life goes on. Hands continue to get burnt. People continue to buy them and at shows, there are usually several vendors there. So if you're doing them, then you try to be the one with the cutest look, the one that lasts longer etc. And unless you were idiot enough to try to light something that does not have a wick in it, the bear sits around and collects dust and dirt in someone else's house and they continue to enjoy it as long as they like or till they get in the mood to change their room around etc. As for applying heat to it, it's promoted as you simply use a hair dryer on the wax and a fork to fluff the area a little. This rejuvenates the scent etc. Course telling them if they leave it on too long and it starts to smoke that's a no-no and the bear could catch on fire.

The women seem to love to be able to care of something with wax on fur. For that matter, even injected (infused) bears.

I chalk it up to that it's another facet of the country/prim look. Not at all my taste, but then, I also do understand that the products I like and make cause those who love country blue and mauve to scratch their heads and say, "Why would anyone want a plainly labeled jar like that when it could be beribboned and wrapped with barbed wire?" It's a great example of "to each her own".

Why my customers LOVE them:

It is something diffrent. They always say they have not seen anything like it.

It lasts A LONG time. I have a 3 year old one still going strong!!

They are an alternative to burning

Perfect for Kids rooms (as long as it is not used as a toy)

I do however always get (Is it a candle?) I guess peeps are thinking it is a huge novelty votive. I put warning labels on the bag, AND I explain that it is NOT a candle and is NOT meant to be burned, to EVERY customer who gets one. HTH

Top, everyone is entitled to their opinions.

I had never heard of them before I found CT. Of course I had to try it. I was surprised at how they turned out. Not only are they a cute decoration, they have an unbelievable scent throw. I'm sure there are a lot of different ways to scent your home or room, but few are as cute or make an interesting topic of conversation as a dipped critter. Not to mention, like candles, you can make them any scent you want. It's not limited to the five fragrances available in a particular air freshener. You don't have to light it, sprinkle it on your carpet or spray it. It just keeps smelling good :cheesy2:

I have to agree with Top! I just don't see the point in subjecting a perfectly good stuffed animal to that type of abuse!!! :D

Seriously though, if you want something in your house that smells nice, but don't want to light a candle, I can think of many other things you can do........

I know people who collect bears only to have them tossed in a closet, in an extra room or in a bag somewhere out of sight. These dipped bears not only are kept front and center making great displays but also gives awesome scents through out the room they are in.

You don't have to dip all your bears, don't dip the ones you want to cuddle :P

I don't get the whole dipped bear thing either.

I am helping Kim do another fundraiser this weekend. She sells bears- and I mean ALOT of them. These things are a TON of work. I don't care for the "prim" or "country" theme myself, but in her demographic location these stinky little things sell like crazy. We visited one of her wholesale accounts and there was only one left on the shelve. A quaint little shop that supports alot of local crafters and had some really unique items.

Well it may be silly to some and even kinda to me, but this biz to me is about making and having fun doing it. I got an email from a lady I dont even know and she wrote this

"Being a huge fan of candles, I decided to check out your website. Most candle sites have the same old things but yours had some really great gift ideas and scents that you can't find anyplace else. I printed out your brochure and will be contacting you to place an order on my next payday!! Way to go for a really unique candle selection!!!! "

Now- this is why I am starting to do bears. I dont want to be a candle maker that does the same thing all the time.

:-)

Christina

I'm glad to find you talked about dipped bears.

I was wondering WHY???

But then I thought it was a sort of american use or tradition. I found a site that says "full americana dipped bears", so I just shut up as Top.

Ohhhhh now I know why they are dipped. It's just something cute!

Personally I've never loved bears and similar, when I was a little child if mom tryed to give me one of those I throwed far from me.

So I don't like them, dipped or not dipped!

But that's it.

Thanks!

Tis the season to be jolly......I do not know why lots of people buy several of my candles, but they do, God bless them....I don't get the dipped bear either, but there are people who can't stand my Victorian Beaded Lanpshades......like my son...he hates all of my stuff...LOL Donita

BTW.....I don't even burn candles with all of my scents either. I rather like my nag champa inscense.....now the smell of something really good cooking in the "real" kitchen is what appeals to me.....strange that I am in this business. Donita

I have to agree with Top! I just don't see the point in subjecting a perfectly good stuffed animal to that type of abuse!!! :D

Seriously though, if you want something in your house that smells nice, but don't want to light a candle, I can think of many other things you can do........

Yup,,have to agree here,,,,,:highfive: although I understand about the collecting and stuff,,,,Psstt dont want no one to get mad @ me,,,,,jmo

Has anyone tried to dip Beanie Babies? Maybe they'll become popular again and I can get rid of the 200 or so I have boxed up, which I initially bought as an "investment"...LOL santa roll

If they're tucked away in boxes and not gathering value anymore, why not try one and find out? I don't imagine it would hurt the "beans", but ya never know until you try one. If there's no adverse reactions, like with the stuffing or colors running or anything, I think they'd make nice small dipped critters. Maybe like for small rooms or dorms or something :)

If they're tucked away in boxes and not gathering value anymore, why not try one and find out? I don't imagine it would hurt the "beans", but ya never know until you try one. If there's no adverse reactions, like with the stuffing or colors running or anything, I think they'd make nice small dipped critters. Maybe like for small rooms or dorms or something :)

You're probably right, I should, but I still feel kinda sorry for the li'l guys :cry2: . Reminds me of the time my mom cooked a live crab and left me traumatized!

Not everyone is going to have the same taste. These types of things are perfect for lots of people. Someone who is very forgetful, who cannot remember to douse a candle, or turn off a warmer. Someone who is not allowed to have things like that. For example, in our dorm rooms, you couldn't have candles or things like warmers. The dorm rooms smelled badly though, so you HAD to have something. And who wants a crappy store bought air freshener, or a glade plug in that knocks you out for a week and then the scent is gone?

It's even perfect for my young sisters, who are too young to handle a candle or a warmer, but who love "smelly goods" in their room.

If someone is trying to light a dipped bear, then they have some serious problems, anyway. If they are going to try that, then they Certainly aren't going to burn a candle correctly. They are just an accident waiting to happen.