Crystal Pillar (Palm) at different temps

The wax I have been working with is from candles and supplies. They call it Crystal Pillar (Palm) Wax. They say it is a one pour. I think it is the same as Candle science's starburst because it too says PT. Sumi Asahi on the bag. That is what candle science told me to look for .

Anyway candles and supplies recommend pouring at 200 to 210 degrees( tape won't hold that temp . it leaks out. or at least for me it does.) but they say you can pour at different temps for different effects. I played around the other day trying to make a watermelon candle . I didn't want crystals or starbursts because I want to make a bunch of watermelon looking pillars for a party I am having this summer. i thought it would look adorable on the tables .

So if you pour at 150 you don't get crystals. I made the candle with 1 oz FO using a CSN 12 because the 11 seemed too small. after the candle cooled I polished it with my husbands t shirt ( shhh)

I wanted to have it burn leaving a shell. I think I give up :sad2:.

I have been following Tops and even with CSN 9 his melts the sides by burn 5 .

The CSN 12 I made melted the sides 1 1/2 hours into the 8th burn .So for the party I would be ok but still would love to have a shell. As you can see the candle no longer looks so cute once the sides melt.

Would love some other suggestions.

here is burn 1 before and after 4 hours

post-11200-1394584674_thumb.jpg

post-11200-139458467405_thumb.jpg

post-11200-139458467407_thumb.jpg

Edited by lrbd

thanks .... i wanted something summer looking for the tables. I am a entertaining fool come summer time. I am trying to come up with something for citronella pillars as well . I am blank

It's really cute, even with the sides melting down. That's what candles do.

I haven't practiced the idea of burning for an intact shell, but I know what I would try. From what I've seen, it's basically about wicking the pillar to burn like a votive and then lighting it for long sessions, maybe with the occasional turn or wick adjustment to keep things even. I would think you could do that with CSN 9 if you trim it before every burn.

Another thing I've been thinking of trying is wicking with CSN 7 and probably just letting it self-trim for long burn sessions. Who knows, maybe 8 hours at a time depending on how it's looking. If you could take that test off my hands, I'd love to see the results.

I tried the CSN 9 I got a small hole down the center. At that point and I don't expect you to remember this ...you suggested I not trim them. Now when you suggested that it was the CSN9 and I had already trimmed it so when I made the 12 I didn't trim. You are right though , the 12 didn't need trimming either.

I don't want to worry about it and turn it and all that stuff . That being said I think I will have to choose . pLay with the candle or allow it to melt.

I have been trying now for a while to find a wick that will give a shell without a fuse. I don't think it can be done .

Unless of course I wait for you to practice the idea:laugh2::laugh2:

Another thing I've been thinking of trying is wicking with CSN 7 and probably just letting it self-trim for long burn sessions. Who knows, maybe 8 hours at a time depending on how it's looking. If you could take that test off my hands, I'd love to see the results./QUOTE]

Oh sure I will

Edited by lrbd

Laura, Do it, CSN7. I would but going to Arizona for a week, I'll take my laptop. My CSN9 has come out really nice, only burned 1/2 way down though. Maybe I'll take it with and finish the burn. Camping on the river:laugh2::laugh2::yay:Means NO CANDLE MAKING:confused:

I know your CSN 9 is burning nicely but you said you are watching it and turning it and adjusting the wick. I don't want to . Can you hear me whining ? cause I am:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Have fun on your trip

Edited by lrbd

We have been testing this pillar wax, off and on, for two years....:laugh2:

We have tried CSN and LX's. First we tried the CSN, then we went with LX 26 (WOW - too big! lol) then started moving down the LX's and I just started one with an LX18. The LX18 had a tiny flame, so I switched it out for an LX20.

Ours burn in an oval (probably because it is a self-trimming wick) and as much as I would like the full shell so that you could then put a t-light in and enjoy the patterns, we just keep losing the sides. I am just into this test, so we will see how it goes. If it does leave a shell, even if it an oval down the middle, I am tempted to call it done!!!

What I REALLY want them to look like is Top's candle that he is testing now!!!!! Nice circle, nice shell....ahhh, that would be heaven!