Mistaken Identity

Marisa

Recently over the past few months I have noticed on facebook a couple of fans promoting my Candles on their page with my Logo and there review, etc. on different fan pages I seen comments under it with people saying how much they just loved Scentsy too!!?? I was Like What?? So I searched my name Make Scents and Scentsy reps/company is using Make Scents, and Make Scents with Scentsy and different variations of that. Anyway I have had my Biz for several years before they even came out, but am wondering now what I should do since people are getting us confused on FB and who knows how many other people have done that or ordered from Scentsy thinking its my Company.. They have LOTS more money than I do to market and use terms, and I realize there are alot of companies out there with names a like and that Make Scents will commonly be used in slogans ,etc. I thought I was original 9 yrs ago when I started as I didnt know much about searching out stuff..lol I even see one guy out there with the same jars as Mine and the same font name logo he started last year!! My Customers Long know my name and are used to it, but would you all change anything or just let it be?

Gosh that is a tough one. If the fan pages are using your logo and talking about your candle I would post a note that you are not affiliated with Scentsy. I get them using the slogan "make scents" but when it is the name of your business that doesn't seem fair that you are being mistaken. But if they are promoting Scentsy with your logo and candle-then you need to make it known that is your company and not Scentsy.

To change your name means a new start with promoting but it can be done... "New Name" formally Makes Scents but again it will be work.

If you didn't incorporate as I know that costs money you are just going to have to decide which way you want to go.

As far as the guy that started a year ago and is using the same look of your labels...it could be coincidence unless you are using a font that isn't a popular one.

I personally probably wouldn't change my name especially since you have been around so long. But if you have a blog I would write about it and post a note on your fan page, and make it clear you are not affiliated with Scentsy.

Thanks for your reply, it is a tough one for sure! My fans were promoting me, but their friends thought they were talking about scentsy. ..I will have to think about this some more..Maybe it will turn around for my good and they think im scentsy and therefore buy more??!!! LOL JK

Very true...At least you are being mistaken by a "good name"..not that I am promoting them as I make my own lol...but better to be associated with a name in decent standing than say a crook...lol Guess it is all in how you look at it.

I forgot to mention earlier when I started making candles the name of my business was: Brambleberry Candle Co....LOL and I had searched that name on the internet before getting the domain and everything, then when I merged with my sister before taking over-people kept saying oh you are that soap and scent place...I was like where did they come from...lol so I let the name go since I was now Country Keepsakes-which is a name but they sell quilts and they at the time had the full domain name but weren't using it and I didn't want to spend $3000 to get it.

So I think you can make it work seeing as you had the name first.

Yeah I dont have much to add but the name has gotten used alot more lately, or versions of it.. theres a seller at our famers market called "Making Scents" and they just opened up a brick and mortar too.

I would guess there are lots of variations on the name out there, but they might not all take the steps to reguster the name or even check if it is taken. Which clearly it is and has been for a long time!