Bath Bomb vanishing scent/expiration

angella

I was wondering has anyone ever made bath bombs that came out beautiful and lasted but the fragrance disappears over time. If so, what can you do to prevent this or should they made be fresh by order and a scent expiration date placed on them?

I generally only make 24 of each scent at a time, because I know I can sell that much in a month or two. The whole "making them to order" thing has never worked for me, because while they dry in 3 days, I wouldnt ship them in less than 7.

I have some I made 6 months ago sitting in my personal stash that smell just as good now as they did then, maybe a bit fainter but not a ton.

I think alot depends upon the FO used, and how they are stored. I wait until they are totally dry (a week or more) and then store them in plastic bags, in a cool dry storage cabinet.

Edited by LuminousBoutique

Dendritic salt is mixed with bath salts to help scent retention so might work with bombs. I wonder if orrowroot powder would help also. It's a fragrance fixative. Read about these online but have yet to try them.

• 1 month later...

I too am having the same problem with the scent in my bath bombs vanishing after a few days...The funny thing is only the scents that I purchased from New Directions Aromatics are fading....All of my other scents purchased from Hobby Lobby and Michael's for testing purposes are still going strong...

You might have to up the amount of scent you're using since the baking soda tends to fight odors. I've not found anything to work when using EOs and I don't want to increase the amount I use in those because it gets expensive. I use the dendritic salt in my regular ones and I don't notice a lot of fading. Nothing smells as strong as when it's first made, but FOs haven't faded to nothing either.