1st Pour GG Palm

Susan, with my palm wax candles, I use cd wicks and double wick. I have tried the csn's but did not like them because of the large flames. I started using the cd wicks and really like them. I like the size of the flame where as some find the flame too small for their liking. Another plus, it is self trimming.

Wicking a square container to burn the whole candle is going to be hard, as Stella has stated quite a few times, a melt pool is circular. So trying to get it to burn out to the edges is going to be hard.

I would say maybe double wicking with a couple of cd's. I don't know how wide the jar is, but if it is 3" maybe 5's or 6's. I use the status jar and with the large, I use two cd 5's or 6's. The smaller status, I use two cd 3's or 4's. But all of this depends on the FO that I use.

Everyone has their preference of wicks that they like to use. Just keep testing and you'll find what works for you!

Happy testing!

Deb

I want to add that the status jar has a thick bottom and if I don't pay enough attention to heating the base of the jar with the heat gun, I will not get any crystalizing at the base of the candle. I do let mine cool on a rack with a paper towel covering the top. I found no difference with the crystalizing whether I covered it with a box or cooled it on a rack with a paper towel just covering the top.

Edited by Debbie73
add on

I've used that cube for yrs & every time I try a new wax I always attempt a single wick - LOL. It must be my personal version of tilting at windmills.

CD's are next on my list. I've been re-reading old posts & tracking Tops testing w/ the other palms. I keep thinking if I wait long enough he'll get this wax tested ...

I'm not anti-double-wicking - just seems to be something I can't let go of w/ this container. If I ever figure it out Libbey will probably discontinue it! Thanks for the help.

Susan.

I'd love to try the CDN's, but I've worn myself out trying to find them! JBN is out of every size, which doesn't really surprise me. I found a couple other suppliers that do carry them, but a very narrow selection of sizes. I might have time this weekend to devote more time to the search ... any suggestions for suppliers & the best sizes to start with? I've been sticking to a 3oz DC votive, a 4oz Flower Pot container, & a 14oz Libbey cube for testing.

Susan.

did you try candle cocoon..their wicks are 12 inches long so thats like getting at least 2 wicks out of each one....just buy some wick tabs too.

i use the CDN 12 in the 9oz hex jar

Edited by tootie04

When I tried CD vs CDN in tortoise shell palm, the CD wick withered before my eyes. It was a massacre. My tentative conclusion is to stay away from both regular CD and regular LX with palm wax.

Tortoise shell is pretty rough on wicks and it didn't seem that even CDN was up to the job in that wax. For that reason, I'm retesting CD vs CDN later today in starburst palm. It's a kinder, gentler wax. In the spirit of prediction, I still don't have high hopes for CD in palm, but we'll see how it goes.

Top, I use the csn in my palm pillars and the cd's in my glass glow. It has amazed me how different the wicks react to the different palm waxes. I have never tried the cd in feather or starburst, so I appreciate all of your testing, it has been interesting.

I single wicked with a cdn 12 in the 10 oz. status using Orange Vanilla and really did not care for the large flame I got with it. On the other hand I single wicked the 7.5 status jar with a cdn 10 using White Tea and Ginger and even tho I liked the flame size, I ended up with a lot of wax. Thus my reasoning for double wicking with cd's.

The csn flame in the feather and starburst is perfect for me, like I said, everyone has their reasons for why they like certain wicks. It's personal preference.