Losing alot of wax

I go to the thrift stores and buy the coffee caraffs and use those. I also bought one of those pancake griddle things and sit my pots on there to keep repour wax warm or melt the wax that is left in the pot.

This is the type I use. Easy pour spout. IMO..

http://www.peakcandle.com/products/Seamless-Aluminum-Pouring-Pitcher--4-lb__A1002.aspx

31mvuvaxdblsl500aa300.jpg

I always spilled wax when I used the the big ones.

The spout is to fat and I found the handle to be awkward to grip. IMO

http://www.wicksandwax.com/supplies.htm#Pouring (E240)

Edited by islandgirl

I have both sizes; large and small. I found some candlemaking needs a smaller pour pot for smaller jars, votives, tea lights, etc., so less spilling. Pouring without spilling takes some practice. Pour pots are perfect for pouring wax you just need to work at it to pour without spilling.

I use the 2# pour pots... some sites list them as 1# or 1.5#, but despite the descriptions, they have all been identical. My wrist strength doesn't allow me to pour smoothly with larger pour pots (when I have to fill larger molds, I make up 2 or 3 of the smaller pots so I don't mess up).

zoomimage.aspx?productID=4c0cb921-5184-4434-ac30-01c2f676f288zoomimage.aspx?productID=4c0cb921-5184-4434-ac30-01c2f676f288

I find a couple shots of Jack steadies the DTs and makes for a smooth pour and less spillage.
ROTFLMAO - a glass or two of wine while melting the wax has the same effect. Stone, cold sober, I am tense and screw up, but with a few brewskies or a glass of wine in me, honey, I'm loose as a goose and totally bulletproof! :embarasse:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

I get a dribble after pouring a few candles. I just hold a paper towel in the other hand and wipe up (this is only for small amounts though)

I also saw in some pictures of Root Candle company production lines where they had a small (kitchen/bar) towel rubber banded around the pour pot. IMO-that would be just way too much weight if you are pouring more than a few dozen candles though.

I do the same as tlc with a papertowel, and I also squeeze the pour spout like ChrisR.

Now, on the Jack/wine thing, I am the opposite... If I have any booze the wax would end up all over the place!

I wish I could unsqueeze the pour spouts I squeezed. In case it matters in your situation, you should take into account that this may warp the entire pot slightly. After I started using a hot plate to melt wax for individual testers and keep pots of wax warm, I found that the squeezed pots didn't sit perfectly flat anymore. They don't heat as evenly or quickly as the ones I left alone.

Now I just rely on technique, and I find that two hands are helpful--one to grip the handle and the other to steady the pot for better control. It helps especially with my biggest pots when they're full, because I don't have wrists of steel.

My heat-resistant nitrile gloves are useful for two-handed pouring and countless other things. Even just cleaning molds.

Squeeze the pour spout from both sides and make it more defined! :cool2:

I did this with my pots, especially the larger ones. I used a pair of pliers with a cloth in between the pot and pliers. I just got them to make a more defined spout. I found out the hard way the first time! Left marks on my pot, so I started using the cloth between. It never messed with the bottom of my pots and they sit level. HTH

I do the same as tlc with a papertowel, and I also squeeze the pour spout like ChrisR.

Now, on the Jack/wine thing, I am the opposite... If I have any booze the wax would end up all over the place!

I agree on the drinks! I can't be anything but stone cold sober to mess with wax or soap...lol

I agree with Ml...I have always used Pyrex or Anchor Glass measuring cups. I have 8oz, 16oz and 32oz...I spill some occasionally but not enough to matter in the big scheme of things. I have never used a metal pot, I think just at the time money wise it was easier to get a couple here and a couple there...lol