Curious about the craft

candlemama

Hi everyone. I've been lurking on the B&B threads for a few days and now my curiosity has gotten the better of me. I think I want to try making some B&B products for myself (M&P, scrubs, creams/lotions). I'm confused about bases... do most people start with a good base and add their own additives, or do you make your own base (is it possible)? I guess I'm asking if products like soaps, body butters, bath bombs, and scrubs are usually made completely from scratch or do they all require a professional base from a B&B supplier?

Obviously, as I'm new, I want to go the easiest route and will start with a good base that requires little additives but am still curious about all the possibilities this craft offers as I love to learn and research. I seem to have lucked out -- just discovered last night that Essentials by Catalina is about 5 miles from my house!!

Thanks.

When I ventured into lotions and lip balms, I started with a base. For me, it was an easier way to get my feet wet. M&P is also a good way to start soap as I figure I can't screw it up too bad.

A lot of people do lotions, scrubs, balms and such from scratch but I think it is a matter of preferance.

Good luck and have fun with your addiction (or soon to be one)!

I hand make everything... lotion, body butters, scrubs, liquid soap, whipped soap, bath bombs, lip scrubs, lip butters, solid lotion... because I can control every aspect, but thats not to say there arent fantastic bases out there.. there are!! Its just that you dont really "learn" by using a base.

I make my own "bases" by doing large 5 pound batches of scrub, whipped body butter.. stuff like that, then when someone orders it, I can mix in whatever scent they like right then and there.. same as a base I would order, but cheaper (and no shipping!), and I have the control over exactly whats in it..

bath bombs are certainly not from a base, hehe.. they must be made completely from scratch and can be a PITA to learn.. but once you get it they are really fun. They are my favorite product to make (and one of my best sellers).

M&P soap you can do all kinds of things to the base (M&P is a base you buy.) to customize it! Add butters, oils.. all kinds of things. You can make colors and shapes and designs with M&P that I could never do with CP!!

The best advice I can give you is to keep lurking for awhile.. read the recipes, check out some soap making books from the library, check out lotion making websites, watch lots of youtube tutorials... theres a ton of info out there to help! And dont be afraid to ask questions :)

IMO there is a difference between handmade (aka, made by hand...) and hand crafted. But there are some awesome bases out there and they are a great place to start!

Hi everyone. I've been lurking on the B&B threads for a few days and now my curiosity has gotten the better of me. I think I want to try making some B&B products for myself (M&P, scrubs, creams/lotions). I'm confused about bases... do most people start with a good base and add their own additives, or do you make your own base (is it possible)? I guess I'm asking if products like soaps, body butters, bath bombs, and scrubs are usually made completely from scratch or do they all require a professional base from a B&B supplier?

Obviously, as I'm new, I want to go the easiest route and will start with a good base that requires little additives but am still curious about all the possibilities this craft offers as I love to learn and research. I seem to have lucked out -- just discovered last night that Essentials by Catalina is about 5 miles from my house!!

Thanks.

First off... WELCOME!!!:cheesy2:

This is a place of information overload:laugh2:

AFAIK, most bases don't require additional ingredients except for fragrance.

If we can be of any help, just shout out. Most of us here are very helpful to new people. And remember, the only dumb question, is the one you didn't ask!

There are still things I learn. We are all learning something at one time or another.

I hand make everything... lotion, body butters, scrubs, liquid soap, whipped soap, bath bombs, lip scrubs, lip butters, solid lotion... because I can control every aspect, but thats not to say there arent fantastic bases out there.. there are!! Its just that you dont really "learn" by using a base.

I make my own "bases" by doing large 5 pound batches of scrub, whipped body butter.. stuff like that, then when someone orders it, I can mix in whatever scent they like right then and there.. same as a base I would order, but cheaper (and no shipping!), and I have the control over exactly whats in it..

bath bombs are certainly not from a base, hehe.. they must be made completely from scratch and can be a PITA to learn.. but once you get it they are really fun. They are my favorite product to make (and one of my best sellers).

M&P soap you can do all kinds of things to the base (M&P is a base you buy.) to customize it! Add butters, oils.. all kinds of things. You can make colors and shapes and designs with M&P that I could never do with CP!!

The best advice I can give you is to keep lurking for awhile.. read the recipes, check out some soap making books from the library, check out lotion making websites, watch lots of youtube tutorials... theres a ton of info out there to help! And dont be afraid to ask questions :)

IMO there is a difference between handmade (aka, made by hand...) and hand crafted. But there are some awesome bases out there and they are a great place to start!

I beg to differ Kristin. :pOther than I learned I didn't want green Blueberry lotion, :laugh2: it was an easier place for me to start to get familiar with the concept of making say, lotion. I found it a great way to "practice" scenting and dyeing.

With that being said, you can control what you have in your bases like Kristin says if you make your own. But sometimes the list of ingredients and the steps can be overwhelming; and that was what it was for me. There really is not a right or wrong way in my opinion. Do whatever makes you comfortable to start.

Then, once you are at ease with that you can throw in other factors.

All the bases that I have used already have a preservative in them so I just add color and FO. The supplier that you get the base from should be able to give you what the maximum % is for FO. As for color, I just add drop until I like the shade.

I use BCN bases and this chart is one that Doneen did up that helped me tremendously when I started. Remember that this is based on the usage for her bases but it should give you an idea. If the link gets removed, PM me and I will send it to you.

http://www.candlesupply.com/BBfochart.html

Just make sure that with colors and FO, that you use body safe. You can run into serious problems if you don't!!