Crappy Show

I had one of the worst shows ever Saturday. I was so bummed. I sold a whopping $58 and booth cost me $35. Ugh! There was hardly any attendance. Not sure why, they advertised very well and this is an annual show for them. It wasn't bad weather and wasn't too warm either, so people should have been there. Great booths there.

On the plus side I had another soy candlemaker stop over to my booth and chat. No sneak bys...or dirty looks...lol! Just a nice pleasant fellow candlemaker. Not often I run into one of them at a show.

Trudi

thats a bummer... I just got accepted to one of the biggest "boutique" shows in Utah, I've never done one before so I am excited to see what happens.. Its a bit scary though, because now I need to get to WORK lol. I'm paying close to 150 to get in, but it has amazing foot traffic.. so we'll see what comes of it. Even if I only sell what I put in, I'll be ok with that.. to earn some more local customers

I always set my expectations way down in spring. Its a good opportunity to try new things and see what people are saying. It helps get you back in the swing of things after the crazy fall shows. Usually in the fall I am too busy just producing things to try anything new so I try to have more fun in the spring. Hope for stand rent and maybe a little more and enjoy the day:cheesy2:

I too think the weather has a lot to do with it...we had a horrific winter here in the Philly burbs, but last Saturday it got up to 75 degrees and was brilliantly sunny. My best friend had asked me to do a home party for her and 20 people were supposed to be coming...7 ended up showing. She hosts a party for me once a year and her guests (family and work friends) usually show up and clear me out. She felt awful - but we all agreed it had to be the weather. At least it was beautiful when i was loading out all of my product!

I just received an invitation to a fall show that has great attendance and sales and is hard to get into. They saw my stuff at the show Saturday. That makes the crappy show worthwhile!! Potential problem, I already have a show booked on that day. But I have 6 months to beg a family member or friend to sit at that one for me!! :D I'll give them a percentage of the sales to make it worth their time.

TRudi

• 2 weeks later...

Things like that happen. I had a farmer's market like that. It was their first year so the community was just learning it was there. I made a big $15 all day (and the booth was $20!) BUT I landed my biggest wholesale account that day in the last 20 minutes of the market. Moral of the story - no matter how crappy the day is going stay positive because you never know who might be in ear shot and where it could lead. All of the other vendors there were b**ching about how slow it was but I stayed positive and was chatting with anyone that walked by. I know she noticed because she commented that I seemed to be the only friendly one there that day. If I had given in and gotten crabby then I may not have landed it.

But I have 6 months to beg a family member or friend to sit at that one for me!! :D I'll give them a percentage of the sales to make it worth their time.

TRudi

Just lay it on thick...my best friend, mom or husband are easy pickings :yes: because I remind them how much it would help me grow the business and I really need there help "just this once" (ya right!) I usually let my mom and friend do some "free" Christmas shopping for thier time and make them a little spa set (pretty basket with lotion, soap, etc) for themselves as a thank you.

Edited by mparadise