Kelsie Molds and standard bar sizes

Jokerjen

2 1/8 X 3 1/8 bars is this the standard for most mold companies?

For those of you that have or have had them...how are the kelsie molds?

I really want a slab mold with dividers...and am looking for an inexpesive yet good one.....I am liking the 9 bar one.

At the dollar stores. It is a thin silicone mat , they come rolled up in a clear box for a dollar. It is the size of a place mat but made for chopping veggies I think. They are usually in the house ware section.

A sheet of quilters mylar works very well too.

For a quick fix, line the bottom with a piece of Saran Wrap. You don't need to line the sides. I've never used mineral oil or anything like that on my Kelsie and I've never had a problem witht my soap sticking unless I'm trying to unmold too early. This is a wonderful mold. I hope you like yours as much as I like mine.

Edited by Meridith

I have the Kelsei nine bar mold, plus the log mold. I love them both.

I liked them so much I decided to buy two more. That was on March 5th. I instantly got a automatic confirmation email of the order. Two weeks passed and I had heard nothing more. On March 19th, I emailed asking about my order. No reply. Still no reply.

I will have to call the number they provide. It's hard for me to call out from work, my cell gets no reception, and I don't want to charge a long distance call to my work phone.

For a quick fix, line the bottom with a piece of Saran Wrap. You don't need to line the sides. I've never used mineral oil or anything like that on my Kelsie and I've never had a problem witht my soap sticking unless I'm trying to unmold too early. This is a wonderful mold. I hope you like yours as much as I like mine.

I never have trouble when I make cphp but I do with cp no matter the amount of time it is setting.

the bars are a little small for me.

i stretch a piece of saran wrap over the bottom and it's perfect. I've used mine for 5 years now and the dividers come out fine - with the help of a pair of vise grips!

I do too wish the bars were a bit bigger. That's the one draw back to this mold. Maybe someday Max will tweak it a bit and make the bars sizes a bit larger.

I never have trouble when I make cphp but I do with cp no matter the amount of time it is setting.

My last batch stuck horribly for me and was ruined when I tried to unmold. I used full water and tried to unmold too early. This mold does not like it when I use full water. My tried and true favorite mold is still my wood log even though we have to line it.

Edited by Meridith

• 2 weeks later...
I have the Kelsei nine bar mold, plus the log mold. I love them both.

I liked them so much I decided to buy two more. That was on March 5th. I instantly got a automatic confirmation email of the order. Two weeks passed and I had heard nothing more. On March 19th, I emailed asking about my order. No reply. Still no reply.

I will have to call the number they provide. It's hard for me to call out from work, my cell gets no reception, and I don't want to charge a long distance call to my work phone.

Did you ever hear back about your molds?

Gee that stinks! I wonder what the problem is? Have you sent an email that says something like you are gonna report her to the BBB?

I'm sorry to say but the first time I ordered from her I had a similar problem and had to get legal with her before she answered my email. She said she didn't get the other emails. Pure crap but I did get my molds.

I was thinking about another 12 bar but now I think I just contact SoapHutch.

I don't know why I can't edit my previous post but what I meant by legal was telling them that if they refused to answer my emails regarding my paid for molds that I would report them to the BBB. Any company who takes money for a product and doesn't respond to inquires or mail the item is stealing and I don't take lightly to that.

Edited by cdesousa5
spelling

Meredith is on the money. I have the 9 bar mold and 99% percent of the time my soap comes right out. I usually pour in my soap and then insert the dividers but this time I left the dividers in and measured out my soap for each individual bar. The recipe was soft and I didn't wait long enough. Man did it stick but each bar was perfect. It wasn't worth the hassle; so back to the way I always pour up my soap.

I have never been charged for the molds. I did send an email (a nice one) a few weeks ago, but have not heard anything.

It's difficult for me to call long distance from work, but I will try this week.

I had paid for my molds and sent about 7 emails before I sent one that said I would report her. She didn't contact me till the last one. I did order two more times and although it took a long time I did get them.

Last time I talked with Rita she said they were moving. Not sure if that is the problem.

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW: I ordered a Kelsei back in November 2009. My credit card was never charged. They were moving and then there was a string of health issues. I'm still waiting.

Edited by MamaVSoap
Added year

I have a custom soaphutch mold that I absolutely love. I can make log molds, slab mold with dividers and change sizes of my batch. I can make the Kelsei size or 3 1/2 x 2 1/4. I really wanted the option to have a size like Kelsei and for the longest time I wanted a Kelsei mold but decided to go with Soaphutch and have been so pleased with my mold. I took a long time designing it and Rich was so fun to chat with and he gave me great ideas too. Now I have a mold that will last me for years. Mine came with a silicone mat as well. If I make a CPHP or M&P I don't have to do anything at all. If I make a CP batch without sodium lactate then I have to lightly grease the sides (only because I can't wait long enough to unmold). If I'm patient with waiting then nothing has to be done.