Feather Palm Testing

I decided to hopefully save some time by bumping the CD tester up to CD 18. I think this might be better than 16. If not, I just shot myself in the foot. But anyway, here's the portrait shot because it's nice. Look at that pattern. Have I mentioned that I love feather palm?

post-710-139458469288_thumb.jpg

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First 4-hour burn for CD 18. I really should have photographed it at the beginning and not just at the end. The flame was quite tall and got way smaller by the end. That's the sort of inconsistency we see with CD. CDN is the same except that you might sometimes be able to get away with a smaller wick size, which slightly mitigates the inconsistent flame heights when you first light the candle.

post-710-139458469298_thumb.jpg

Hi Top

My girlfriend wanted some tarts so I decided to make them using feather palm. I poured a couple votives too...and noticed that

they left a hole in the top of each one, basically an air pocket. Have you seen that when you poured votives?

I poured a couple votives too...and noticed that they left a hole in the top of each one, basically an air pocket. Have you seen that when you poured votives?

I've seen plenty of air pockets in palm votives. As long as you have them wicked correctly, they still burn fine.

I haven't gotten the hole in the top of votives with Feather, but I've seen it occasionally with Starburst. Feather has hardly any air pockets when you make pillars with it, but votives cool a lot faster. Since I've only been making a few at a time, I've been covering them with polystyrene party cups. Maybe something like that would get rid of the hole.

Edited by topofmurrayhill

• 2 years later...

Thanks for bumpin this one up Chandler.

There's alot of great info in this thread. I don't do pillars(although i do want to give it a shot someday soon I hope)

I love love love the look of Feather palm but so far have only done votives and once in a while tarts with this beautiful wax.