Wicks

Should I try using a series of wicks for testing? ie- all cds or cdns? Or should I mix it up, maybe cds and htps or ecos? The last batch that I made was mixed, it had cds, htps, soy wicks. I do have a series of all different sizes and was wondering if I should try cd 8,10,12 for a 3" container or mix it up for better results. Thanks

Its typical to try out different wick series when you start testing your candle. Wicks that work well in parrafin or parasoy waxes may not be suitable for soy candles. Then there are wicks that work great in pillars or votives but not in container candles.

Sounds like you are on the right track with trying out different series of wicks. You may find that with wax like soy you could be testing out a lot more types and sizes of wicks. It can be frustrating to find that one elusive wick that is perfect for your candle but trying different wicks is the process we all go thru.

You may want to let us know which wax and what type candle and size you are making so that you can get some wick suggestions to get you started.

Edited by Candybee

A lot of people end up having a favorite type of wick for a particular application, so I would expect most of your wicks for a certain kind of candle to be probably be the same kind. However, as Candybee says, there's nothing wrong with using different wicks for different fragrances if that helps you make things work well.

What I'd suggest is that it's not a good idea to take a "shotgun" approach, trying different types and sizes of wicks randomly. Sometimes, when people post about what wicks they've tried, it kind of sounds like that.

You should have a range of sizes at your disposal for each wick. That way you could figure out, for example, the best size of CD and the best size of ECO and compare them with each other.

Wow, Im not a wax drip anymore!!!!

I'm using c-3 and for my last testing which was two weeks ago I used htp 83 and 104, cd 8 and 10, and a simple soy wick from WSP in 8 oz jelly jars. They do smell but not as much as I would like. Am I expecting too much from soy? Will the soy never have a very strong hot throw? Should I maybe try to get some paraffin and do a mixture? I have sample wicks from wickit. A whole series...

Wow, Im not a wax drip anymore!!!!

I'm using c-3 and for my last testing which was two weeks ago I used htp 83 and 104, cd 8 and 10, and a simple soy wick from WSP in 8 oz jelly jars. They do smell but not as much as I would like. Am I expecting too much from soy? Will the soy never have a very strong hot throw? Should I maybe try to get some paraffin and do a mixture? I have sample wicks from wickit. A whole series...

I don't use your wax, I use 415, but I think it depends on the FO and the percentage you use along with getting the right wick. As I have found out not all FOs work well in soy, some do great and others aren't as strong. And the cure time is important also. I cure my candles at least 5-7 days before testing. Some that I have poured are still sitting here waiting to be burned.