How much FO?

CandleMama6

Ok, I am going to attempt this M&P thing tonight. I am just using clear and white with color and fragrance.

How much FO do I add? My soap did not come with instructions!! :embarasse

OH OH...and my FO has vanilla in it. Will it turn brown???

Edited by CandleMama6

Depending on the strength of your Fo..I start at tsp PP up to about 3% PP The scent comes out stronger after the soap cools and is unmolded. My vanilla does discolor my soap, I just order another bottle of Vanilla stabilizer for M&p..Love that stuff.Have fun!!

I just made melt and pour for the first time today! I made goats milk soap and used lily of the valley FO. I used 3% but weighed it out, at .4 oz. Was I supposed to measure out in tsp??? I did 12 oz of base to the .4 oz of fo. Also, i was wondering if anyone makes the m&p and just does the base, fo, and dye? how well does that sell for ya???? I like simplicity, but didnt know if it "had" to be doctored up to sell well... thanks:)

You don't have to use additives. M&P base makes a good soap by itself. But some find it drying or not moisturizing or creamy enough, etc so they want to add something to it.

You don't have to use measuring spoons for M&P. Using a scale to weigh is more accurate. I just don't like to weigh out a tsp full of oils or butters.

You don't have to use additives. M&P base makes a good soap by itself. But some find it drying or not moisturizing or creamy enough, etc so they want to add something to it.

So if it seems drying when I use it, what can you add to it to help with that? I also poured some M&P last night. It smells really good and I used the goats milk as well. I didn't think it had much lather to it, but I only did small bars from an ice cube tray mold that I had so maybe it was the size of the bar.

Also, can you add anything to the M&P bases to give more lather?

So if it seems drying when I use it, what can you add to it to help with that? I also poured some M&P last night. It smells really good and I used the goats milk as well. I didn't think it had much lather to it, but I only did small bars from an ice cube tray mold that I had so maybe it was the size of the bar.

Also, can you add anything to the M&P bases to give more lather?

Make a bath size bar of soap like Dial, Ivory, Dove, etc. I think you get better lather with a regular bar of soap.

To make your soap more moisturizing try adding some butters and oils. I love using 1 tsp castor oil and 1 tsp coconut oil and 1 tsp olive oil and 1/2 tsp glycerin to 1 lb of base for all my soaps. This will make your soap more emollient and add creamy lather.

For more bubbles and lather add a liquid soap such as Dr. Bronners. Another ingredient is shaving soap. If your supplier has shaving soap base get some of that and add to your soap. Either will make more lather in your soap. Start out with 1 tbs per lb then adjust from there.

I have not used SLSA so I can't comment on that. But I don't see why you can't try it to improve lather.

Edited by Candybee

Re: More lather -- I have used powdered SLSA for more lather - about 1 tsp per pound - I mix it with the fragrance oil OR you can mix it with a bit of oil (olive, castor oil, etc.) to a smooth consistency to mix in with the melted soap.

Re: Fragrance oil - It depends on what the FO is. I usually add about 2-5%.

Have fun experimenting!!

:cheesy2:

Make a bath size bar of soap like Dial, Ivory, Dove, etc. I think you get better lather with a regular bar of soap.

To make your soap more moisturizing try adding some butters and oils. I love using 1 tsp castor oil and 1 tsp coconut oil and 1 tsp olive oil and 1/2 tsp glycerin to 1 lb of base for all my soaps. This will make your soap more emollient and add creamy lather.

For more bubbles and lather add a liquid soap such as Dr. Bronners. Another ingredient is shaving soap. If your supplier has shaving soap base get some of that and add to your soap. Either will make more lather in your soap. Start out with 1 tbs per lb then adjust from there.

I have not used SLSA so I can't comment on that. But I don't see why you can't try it to improve lather.

What kind of coconut oil Candybee? Is that the 76 one or a different one??