Curious..How many would sue?

Jokerjen

I wouldn't sue either. Just isn't worth the frustration and aggravation (additional) that's already there.

I know you're T'd Jen, but cut the loss and move on. Not familiar with Canadian law, so I don't know if in the long run you do win out if you do pursue it, but I can't imagine lawyers come cheaply. I would, however, consult with an atty and issue a letter seeking the payment if one is willing to do that for you. Let the lawyer point it out.

Unrelated, but we became a sue-happy society here just because something irked us or burnt us regardless of how stupid the person was to think that i.e. coffee doesn't burn or ice isn't slick, or the crack in the sidewalk should have been fixed when I went tippy toeing in my 17" high heels. (OK I'm being a dope here)

Principle is one thing and we'd all like to think that people will be honest and have a conscious, but truth is most probably don't.

Bottom line is you will have to weigh the worth of the issue with yourself and probably talk to someone else who can give you an outline of your legal path and then see if it's worth it. I hope whatever path you take leads to peace of mind for you.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be mad too... but I wouldn't sue, I'd rather get a VERY strongly worded letter together, laying out exactly what would happen if you DID sue.. have it officially delivered, (meaning make them sign for it so you KNOW its in their hands) and see what happens... I mean, I get it, it sucks to lose money, but for $100, its not worth the legal fees if you dont win. I cant see why you would lose but if you did, it would hurt even worse.

Im sorry you got ripped off, it sucks :( So far I've only had good experiences on here but I'm pretty careful who I buy from because of some of the experiences some of you guys have had.

Jen,..please post who this is,..so the rest of us on this board can just stay away from doing business with them. There is nothing wrong with sharing with us who did this to you,..afterall,..its a dang forum, but OUR money.

I hope you do somehow get your money back,..it's a evil, pathetic world we live in.:cry2:

GOOD LUCK!!

Jen, if this person says they don't have the cash (either because they don't have it or don't want to have it), perhaps you can work out a trade. If she has a business, she must buy stuff in quantity. Maybe you can get a few lbs of an FO that you both use, or a case of wax or jars that you can use. Just a thought.

Good Suggestion Deb..but I somehow think that if she chose not to pay this small amount, then she definately would not give up product and pay shipping..kwim?

Oh, I know. But if she's crying the blues about money, and you make her this offer, she will not be able to come on this board and get much sympathy no matter what her excuses are. Let her shoot herself in the foot. :D

I am sure I know who it is Jen. I would run the product idea by her , she what she says and go from there. I totally understand your frustration and why you shipped before the shipping was paid. You had no reason to believe you wouldn't get your money back.

I dont believe I would go through the red tape to sue for $100. But I would not protect this person either. I would make everyone aware of who this person was so they would not get ripped off. I dont know if this person has a store where you live but I would stand in front of it with a sign that said she /he is selling stolen merchandise. If this person has a website I would be using this to my adavantage as well. Blogs, free web pages and such. If they are a supplier I would find some supplier rating sites. The web is a wonderful tool. Email all the links to this person and tell them you will remove it for $100 fairly owed to you. If that doesnt wake them up then I would just find every way to warn people of this person. I am really surprised that some people would just say oh well, then sit back knowing this scum bag could target another person. No matter how you slice it this person is somewhat of a preditor looking for his or her next victim. I would warn all of you of this person but it kills me know you wouldnt do the same. Jen, I am so sorry this happened to you and I hope you can get refunded every penny. And by the way Thank you for making a stand.

The only reason I shipped was because the product had been paid for and I had dealt with this person before on a few occasions. The money owed was for shipping and customs charges.

And I'm not sure what you meant by your little anology..I don't owe anyone any money...:confused:

If you are both in Canada do you have to pay customs charges within the country?

No, this was money owed for their part of shipping and customs from the last co-op I held that came from the States.

I know it's not a large amount of money...but it came out of my personal pocket and then and now I really didn't have it to spare, as I am sure many you understand how every penny would count right now. This money could have paid for additonal product for my store or helped pay half the p hone bill or whatever.....

I ran it by her about the trade but have received no reply...She has blocked me from alot of things so that I can't contact her. She actually had the nerve to threaten to sue ME for harrassment (which she can't because I am not contacting her numerous times a day) and told me that if I posted anything on the board she would follow that up with Slander, which again, she can't because I am not saying anything that is untrue.

She is trying to pull off that she knows about the law, when she clearly doesn't. This is all too bad, because I really did like this person.

Hi Jen,

I would sue and I have. It was not related to candles, but I did sue over work that was done. I also won the cases. Just keep notes of everything and copies of everything. Make sure that anything you say/post is true because slander is only an accusation if what you are saying is false. If her reputation is harmed by the truth, she has no recourse.

Good luck and I hope that it all works out for you!!

No, it is not worth your time. Not one bit. But I admire you for your principles. If everyone in this world was preoccupied with wasting time, many amazing things would not have been accomplished. I personally applaud you for taking a stand. It does not matter to me HOW this happened. The bottom line is that you were ripped off. Your being too "trusting" for shipping costs is not the issue to me either. I do not think that you need a reprimand either. You were ripped off. Period. How it happened is not important. Hindsight is always 20/20 and so is Monday morning quarterbacking.

I am sorry that this happened to you. Would I sue? No. I do not think so. But I was not the one ripped off either. I do not think that you need to explain why you did what you did anymore in regard to this transaction. You were ripped off. You are not to blame for this. Just my 2 cents....

No, this was money owed for their part of shipping and customs from the last co-op I held that came from the States.

I know it's not a large amount of money...but it came out of my personal pocket and then and now I really didn't have it to spare, as I am sure many you understand how every penny would count right now. This money could have paid for additonal product for my store or helped pay half the p hone bill or whatever.....

I ran it by her about the trade but have received no reply...She has blocked me from alot of things so that I can't contact her. She actually had the nerve to threaten to sue ME for harrassment (which she can't because I am not contacting her numerous times a day) and told me that if I posted anything on the board she would follow that up with Slander, which again, she can't because I am not saying anything that is untrue.

She is trying to pull off that she knows about the law, when she clearly doesn't. This is all too bad, because I really did like this person.

Wow, that's too bad. I was hoping that it wasn't that type of situation. For her to block you and threaten you with harassment when she owes you money takes huge kahoonas.

BTW, I think a quick search on your recent coops and threads would easily reveal the identity of the person who did this to you for anyone interested in knowing. :tiptoe:

Edited by deb426

I really do feel for you. To me its the same thing as theft. I agree with everyone else though. I think you should name the person that has stuck you for $100.00. To a lot of people that may not be much money. But to a 26 year old mother of three thats husband was unemployed for almost a year. And has only been back to work now for 2 months. Thats a lot of money. It really makes me not want to have anything to do with the classifieds. With the exception of a few. That I know I could trust. I hate to say this though. But you probably will not ever see your money. Unless she/he grows a conscience and pays you back.

Edited by charmcandleco

I probably wouldn't sue either, because of the expense here in the states, and the lawyers make the money if we win.

But I sure have wished I could, many times. Because of the principal. I have been ripped off many times also, in my business. The majority are honest, a few bad eggs ruins it for everyone. Bummer.

I work hard for my money, as I think we all do. (Oh yea, except for the people that are entitled to my money:) Profits are so slim these days, hard to believe that anyone would want to take what little there is. I think as a society, we have all gotten used to being ripped off, and tend to take it too much. Maybe if we all said enough is enough, dead beats would have pay up.

Good luck.

Guys, it wasn't EVEN $100.00 ...I just love how I am made out to be the bad guy though...:angry2:

I don't see where anyone has made you the bad guy Jen?? A lot of people would not take on the aggrevation or added stress, but I did not read where anyone blamed you.

i like you...it is not how much it is..it is the principle of it..

it really gets under the skin, when someone can get away with cheating...

what is sad, is when you thought you could trust someone, and they dissapoint you..and betray your trust...

Totally agree!!